best strictly winter/snow tire brand and models for trucks?

probably going to end up getting a dedicated set of either r17 or r18.
it snows alot but ill be doing mostly city and highway driving. i wont really end up driving on purely snow or anything since our roads are always clean. i guess ice is what matters more

Ice is my main concern as well, which is why I've gone with the Michelin Latitude X-ice Xi2 on both our 1500's as well as my wife's former Durango. They are decent in snow, but they really shine on ice.

Congratulations, that makes it a consensus.
Your point is.....

I expect his point is that there are those that "never see the point" until they do. A panic stop that isn't, a spin-out on black ice. Slippery surfaces are where a dedicated winter tire can be the difference between spending a few hours in the ditch and making it home safely.

Having snow tires now, I'll never go back to not having snow tires in the winter. With that said, there are 2 things to take into account.

1. You could get away with All-Terrain tires on a big truck like Duratracs or BFG KO2's and be in pretty good shape for winter. They will work much better than regular highway tires, and will eliminate the need for another set of wheels

2. If you do want to get another set of wheels, make sure the smaller sizes you are looking at will actually fit over the brakes. I don't know what the stock wheel size options are on an F350, but I'd check that 17 or 18" wheels would fit with the brakes you have. I've seen many cases on other cars where a bigger brake option package would not allow fitment of smaller wheels.

I know people who drive all their life on summer tires in winter. Then they don't.

Another interpretation.
They get killed while driving in winter on summer tires.

It is safer to be on winter tires in summer than summer tires in winter.
Both are bad but one is worse.

Krzyś

Having snow tires now, I'll never go back to not having snow tires in the winter. With that said, there are 2 things to take into account.

1. You could get away with All-Terrain tires on a big truck like Duratracs or BFG KO2's and be in pretty good shape for winter. They will work much better than regular highway tires, and will eliminate the need for another set of wheels

AT tires work in snow but ice is usually different matter.
Often they are not better than all seasons or sometimes worse.

Manufacturers figured out that their AT tires can pass 3MPSF test and some started applying it to tires that were not meant to be winter tires.

Krzyś

I expect his point is that there are those that "never see the point" until they do. A panic stop that isn't, a spin-out on black ice. Slippery surfaces are where a dedicated winter tire can be the difference between spending a few hours in the ditch and making it home safely.
I learned the hard way when I bought my S4 back in 2000 which had summer tires that AWD is great WHEN you have the appropriate shoes on it. I made it home but couldn't make it up my driveway and probably about 5 times when I would slow down I would still skid past my driveway. Once I started up the driveway the car would stop and roll back. Going down the driveway I was lucky numerous times when I slid right into the road and DIDN'T hit someone. Once I got snows, it was a completely different car. That car still hasn't seen a pair of AS tires but I did recently get a new set of snows but now I don't even drive the car so that was a waste of money.

Had Bridgestone Blizzaks on my Ford Expedition when I lived in Vermont. Simply great on snow, ice and that wintry mix for which Vermont is famous.

Safety in winter conditions is all about traction; being able to stop, and corner. To do that you need grip that can only come from true winter tires like the Blizzak.

My point is that all seasons (as summer tires) in snow are equal to wearing shorts at 0 degrees. You could do it. Is it smart is another issue.
This just doesn't match up to most people's real world experiences though.
To imply that summer tires and all season tires perform similarly in winter conditions (which is the point I think you're trying to make here) just isn't true or accurate.

But we're each entitled to our own opinions.
Have a great weekend.

To imply that summer tires and all season tires perform similarly in winter conditions (which is the point I think you're trying to make here) just isn't true or accurate.

Have a great weekend.
I believe his point is, winter tires are the proper tool for the job, and all others are just not going to work as well. The fact that a hammer can install screws into wood beams does not mean it's the right tool for the job. All things work--until they don't.

[For the record I use both a/s and winter tires in winter. One vehicle has winter tires, the others generally stay on a/s. Roads too bare most of the time; yeah I get it, black ice can happen any time. So can deer, other drivers, and who knows what, and that's year 'round. The vehicles with a/s generally stay home when it actually snows.]

I just put a set of General Grabber AT2s on my Silverado. Should be way better than the highway tread Michelins that came stock.

Have a great weekend.
They are both garbage. All season are bit better, but it is like do you want garbage served with broken glass or without?
Sure you are entitled to your opinion, but not facts.

They are both garbage. All season are bit better, but it is like do you want garbage served with broken glass or without?
Sure you are entitled to your opinion, but not facts.
If the all seasons are such garbage, why do they work so well for so many people?
The fact is that lots of people do just fine with them.

Are all season tires best? No, they're not.
It is clear that winter tires are better.
Are all season tires garbage in snow? Hardly.

All season work for people who do not need to drive in really bad conditions. 90-99% of winter driving is on dry roads. Unless it is not and then nobody needs to be convinced about winter tires.
However if you want to handle the worst conditions you need to sacrifice the performance in typical conditions .
No free lunch in life.

Krzys

If the all seasons are such garbage, why do they work so well for so many people?
The fact is that lots of people do just fine with them.

Are all season tires best? No, they're not.
It is clear that winter tires are better.
Are all season tires garbage in snow? Hardly.
They work well for so many people, until they do not.
A lot of people are fine with them, until they are not fine with them. We are getting 8in of snow on Monday and my bingo card is going that day for Subaru drivers as ones in most accidents bcs. AWD + All Season tires. Close second JEEP's. After that trucks (pick any brand).

Back