best strictly winter/snow tire brand and models for trucks?

Hello, I am looking to get a set of winter tires for my truck strictly winters/snow tires. Wondering which are the best performing, I read alot of mixed reviews on google and was wondering what you guys with experiences or what you guys have heard recommend.

Thanks!

I've had great results from my Cooper AT3's, but have been looking at something more aggressive for towing the quads/Jeep and logging.

I was checking out Eldorado Wild Trail CTX's in the 275/70R18 flavor. They look like a very good traction tire.

it seems hard to find the best tire cuz the top brands all seem good, like is this just a decision where we buy the best bang for buck? or is there actually a consensus best

Top brands are Michelin, Bridgestone, Continental, Pirelli. After that, everything is possible.
ahh yes yes so like if im choosing those brands, how do we tell which is the consensus best cuz prices are all over the place. like for example just purely example i dont wanna pay $50 more for a michellin if it performs the same as a pirelli

u know what im saying?

What size and what kind of snow conditions?

There is a wide variety of winter snow conditions, so unsurprisingly, some tires do better in certain conditions while others are better in different conditions.

Sometimes that $50 difference means an LT tire instead of a P-Series... etc...

I don't think there's a good consensus here on the forum as many of us don't run snow specific tires on their trucks in winter.

It makes more sense to me (logistically and economically) to run a nice AT tire that can handle all seasons of street driving as well as off road terrain.

ahh yes yes so like if im choosing those brands, how do we tell which is the consensus best cuz prices are all over the place. like for example just purely example i dont wanna pay $50 more for a michellin if it performs the same as a pirelli

u know what im saying?
Yeah I know what you saying. Life is a gamble. You gamble crossing street, you gamble driving, and you might pay bit more for tires that perform same as cheaper.
Of all tires I had, Michelin and Continental are most consistent performers. So, check reviews on Tire Rack and then gamble.

What size and what kind of snow conditions?

There is a wide variety of winter snow conditions, so unsurprisingly, some tires do better in certain conditions while others are better in different conditions.

Sometimes that $50 difference means an LT tire instead of a P-Series... etc...
probably going to end up getting a dedicated set of either r17 or r18.
it snows alot but ill be doing mostly city and highway driving. i wont really end up driving on purely snow or anything since our roads are always clean. i guess ice is what matters more

I focus on ice traction as I feel soft winter tire rubber compound provides the biggest benefit over my summer tires, which are standard Michelins. A lot of truck tires already have sufficiently aggressive tread for snow/slush traction but the rubber gets hard and slides on slick roads. Not all winter conditions are the same and snow depth/frequency is just one factor.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I would strongly suggest you consider how you anticipate using your truck over the winter. If it is just a people carrier, you have more options. If you're loading up the truck with a significant amount of weight, you will want to take that into consideration when selecting a tire.

yeah i probably will get a higher load rating tire just for the fact incase i do haul something!

u know what im saying?
I used to sell tires in a Goodyear store. Most brands have cheap tires, mid range tires and expensive tires. When a customer wanted prices on tires I looked at what was available in the price range they were interested in. We sold a ton of Sailun tires because they were cheap and still decent. You have to compare specific models of tires not brands.

I'm interested too, I've considered all out winter tires as I bought a used set of all seasons to put on when my existing tires wear out. The thing is the existing tires are Goodyear duratracs with 40k miles on them, they have 9/32nds tread remaining, so barely worn, but they got rock hard and are pretty bad in rain and ice now. When newer they were amazing in winter.

I bought the truck from my employer and they didn't spend the extra to have a proper alignment done, so the tires are now chopped and noisy. They still work good in mud and deep snow, but I'm considering replacing them because of the rain/ice. Even with probably a thousand pounds in the back it still spins easily.

Heck, I live in a 120” plus snow belt region and don’t run dedicated snow tires on either vehicle...to each his own I guess?
Same circumstances here. We average 110"+ snow a year. Good all-terrain or all-season tires are just fine for the local conditions.

Like I tell the teenagers, winter driving is easy.
Speed up slow, slow down slow, anticipate early.
EZ-PZ.

I get the idea--but it's going on a truck, which is often just awful in the snow. So getting the best may make the best of it, or maybe it is lipstick on a pig. I guess it all matters on how you look at it.

I have a set of Hankook iPikes which seem to get the job done. After 6 years I suspect I'll notice them not as good this year, tread depth is good but 6 years means they are getting old and hard. But. To get 6 years means I don't drive a lot on them, so... always hurts to toss out "good" tires that aren't worn out--and it hurts more when they cost more up front. Again, depends on how you look at it. Not sure if I'd recommend the iPikes, reviews seem mixed--but more importantly, it seems reviews also matter on tire size, it seems some love a tire but they just aren't the same when done in a truck/SUV tire. YMMV.

Hello, I am looking to get a set of winter tires for my truck strictly winters/snow tires. Wondering which are the best performing, I read alot of mixed reviews on google and was wondering what you guys with experiences or what you guys have heard recommend.

Thanks!

depends on size. Big fan of cooper winter tires.

If you have low temps to deal with and you already decided to get a dedicated set of “ winter” tires, opt for the Mountain snowflake emblem. They have a softer compound for traction on ice at low temps. Mine are Cooper Discoverer AT/W and work well for me. The are also LT.

2586FF29-00D4-4736-8AE3-D461315B0AC5.jpeg

Back