Best spray wax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still evaluating the D156 but for the intent of a spray wax and the good feedback it has, I would not spend what appears to be literally double the money on Optimum at this point and I'm not usually one to skimp on detailing supplies (though I'd be happy to try it if I find it on sale).

Optimum is very durable and leaves a beautiful bright shine, but it's finicky to apply and it's not a drying aid.
Aqua Wax is not so durable but leaves a warm deep shine and it is easy to apply on a wet finish.
I now mix them 50/50 and I get a cheaper beautiful shine that's easy to apply and lasts for several weeks. I'm happy.

Years ago I put together an order of Duragloss products. I asked the representative for a sample of Aquawax and to my surprise received a full size bottle of it. Which is something I've never received from Meguiars, Optimum or Griots Garage after asking. Mothers, Sonax, Surf City have also included free samples so I know where to direct my business when they've been generous.

I'll throw in Sonax Speed Wax. I haven't used it personally but a friend swears by it and uses it while drying the car.

Originally Posted By: Excel
Detail spray waxes usually just scratch your cars finish
unless you just washed it

Who waxes a dirty car?

I use a lot of detailer, and spray wax,(which I use interchangeably) mostly on my show cars. For instance I have had my 65 mustang about 8 years now, and it was restored about 2 years before I got it. It only gets driven in warm months, and never (if I can help it) on sloppy wet roads. It gets waxed every year or so, and has never had water on it except a very few times it got rained on. If it gets bugs or some minor dirt, or dust on it in the garage or on the road, I clean it with detailer. The paint looks like new as far as I or any of the show judges can tell. Of course it is white. As to brand, I mostly use what I get as door prizes at car shows.

Second application of D156 yesterday. It went better than the first. Instead of misting the whole car and drying I misted it one section at a time as I was drying. Decent gloss and no spotting from the product drying on the finish before being wiped.

Do you guys apply after each wash? Recently I've been drying with the leaf blower so I don't have to touch the finish at all. I like the benefits of using the D156 as a 'drying aid' but I also like cutting down on the times I physically touch the paint.

I like how the Eagle Nano wax works as some others have said.. I have noticed it seems dust doesn't cling as easily as to just 'regular' waxes or polymer sealants. Curious about how it actually is supposed to work- there is supposedly regular Carnauba wax in it.. but it doesn't quite seem to haze fully like a wax would, so it doesn't quite 'buff off' like a 'wax' does.. it seems more like just a spreading on the surface. Because I am unsure how it is actually working, I have a difficult time discerning whether the application is more effective with more drying time before 'buffing' or less. I do spread the initial application with a microfiber applicator after misting. This does lead to a bit more lengthy process. almost to the point that I could do a quick regular 'wax' product in almost the same time.. though, again, this product seems to offer advantages beyond what 'normal waxes' offer.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Lucas Slick Mist is pretty good
cheers3.gif

Had half a bottle of Slick Mist and half a bottle Mothers Spray Wax so I mixed them, sprayed my Malibu LTZ after washing in the morning and was impressed with the shine and buttery smooth finish
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Used my Meguiar's D156 for the first time yesterday. Overall it worked pretty well. It's going to be a bit of an adjustment as I sometimes dry the car with a leaf blower and barely touch the finish with my chamois. With the D156 you need to touch the whole car with the chamois and if you miss a spot that looks dry, you'll see spots from the D156.

With a chamois? Why wouldn't you apply/remove it with a MF towel? That's what I would use...

Duragloss aquawax. I just spray it on after i wash the car then towel dry. the car gets a proper waxing twice a year

Originally Posted By: MarcS
Duragloss aquawax. I just spray it on after i wash the car then towel dry. the car gets a proper waxing twice a year

Love the stuff and have a fresh bottle sitting at home ready to use. I just detailed both cars using Duragloss #101. Finally after many years almost used up the bottle. Next time the cars get a wash I will top with AG or some Surf City liquid wax the I received for free. A few others on here received it as well.

I used a cheap buffer to apply and remove the #101 and it was a pleasure to use this way. Never will apply and remove by hand again. Too much work. The machine applies a thin, uniform layer via a foam pad. Switch the pad out to a microfiber for removal. Just a cheapie polisher at Walmart.

I just received a bottle of Turtle Wax ICE spray wax that I happen to add in a Amazon order, to try.
On the vehicle I tried it on today, the vehicle is a bright silver. I think they call it Diamond Silver.
So for a couple months, weekly I been using the Optimum no rinse wash & wax stuff. I'm real happy with the results.
So today after the Optimum, I tried the Turtle Wax ICE afterwards. I can't tell any difference in looks or how it feels sweeping a hand across it. Doesn't make it more slick like I'm used to with other wax products I've used.
It just doesn't look or feel any different (to me) after the Optimum.
Maybe Turtle Wax ICE is more like a sealant rather than a wax...
Maybe I'll try it on the other vehicles - all 4 are a different paint color.

When I do wax it's been Surf City Barrier Reef in the can (paste wax). I've gone through at least 3/4 of the can and each time I use it the finish feels slick/slippery. I'm happy with the results and how easy it goes on and easy off too. It's real slippery stuff going on, like a fine grease.

I got started on the Optimum because of the Calif. drought cutting into water use. Now that we finally had a good winter of rain plus snow pack up in the hills, I continue to use it as a little goes a long way and the results is good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back