Best spark plugs for 2017 Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

At 53,000 miles now on my 2017 Elantra Value Edition with the 2.0 engine, and since I fall under the "severe" driving category with lots of short trips,
I am due to change my spark plugs. I will use iridium plugs as thats OEM, but wondering what would be the best brand to use? Are there plugs that are
better than OEM, or stick with OEM?

Anyone know what OEM brand Hyundai used for the 2017 model Elantra 2.0 engine? I want to be sure I use top quality that is equal to factory or better if there are better plugs than OEM.

Thanks
Michael in NJ

My 2017 Elantra came with Yura installed. I have heard Champion is also used. Having good results with Autolite XP502 changed around 33k. Car performs well. OEM Yura just looked bad when I removed them.

If your factory plugs are YURA, you might want to read this thread.

The YURA plugs that came with his Elantra were garbage. He ended up using NGK 9723s (SILZKR7B11).

'PSA for Hyundai Nu engine owners: Check your ignition system!'
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...heck-your-ignition-system.338661/post-5888882
Be sure to read the original post as well, as the link sends you to my second update on page 3.

But yes, if you're an NGK fan like me, 9723s seem to be the winning ticket.

TL;DR:

ANYTHING BUT OEM!

ol' ngk platinums never fail. no need for laser iridiums or rutheniums if youre not gonna take them far.

ol' ngk platinums never fail. no need for laser iridiums or rutheniums if youre not gonna take them far.
See the linked PSA thread above. NGK does NOT list a single spark plug as compatible with 2017-2018 Elantras. Some idiotic partnership deal...who knows. NGK 9723s fit, but not "officially."

Last edited:
If your factory plugs are YURA, you might want to read this thread.

The YURA plugs that came with his Elantra were garbage. He ended up using NGK 9723s (SILZKR7B11).

'PSA for Hyundai Nu engine owners: Check your ignition system!'
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...heck-your-ignition-system.338661/post-5888882
The Atkinson engine came with plugs that suck and coils that potentially fail. So after changing plugs I installed 4 new OEM coils with the updated shaft design. Took 10 minutes to replace all 4 coils. Thanks OilMagnate! Your post was the one that helped the most in making that decision.

MONKEYMAN,

Why did you replace all 4 ignition coils?? Were they giving you problems??
Due to the high failure rate. I use my car at my job, some days working 10 to 12 hours a day. I just did not want to deal with a coil causing a misfire at the wrong time. The problem I had was 3 Yura plugs were fouled and one was fairly clean when I removed it. I wanted all plugs to be consistent. I was not able to tell if it was a coil or plug issue.

The newer autolite and bosch Ir plugs look good. It all about the heat range being appropriate for the engine and next, the coil stick contacting the plug terminal properly. Plugs vary somewhat in this aspect manufacturer to manufacturer.

Some plug terminals are varnished to prevent corrosion and flashover, you may wish to address that if using coils that have a spring pigtail. My professional practice is to just hit the top of the terminal with a points file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back