Best spark plug for 01 Toyota Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's time to change the plugs and my head kinda spins at all the options out there anymore. I know for Toyota's, it's only denso or NGK, but do I want iridium? Platinum? Aluminum? Copper infused brass with Tri-tip active gap adjustment for better boat towing in northern states? (Made by Bosch of course) Lol.

I'd like a longer life plug, I tow a couple times a year and almost all my driving is highway hills. I don't disregard fuel economy but it's an older vehicle with 253,000 miles on it that averages 16.7 MPG, so just not worse than that. I don't k ow what's in there as I bought it used.

If there's a plug that's a step or two up from OEM without costing 7-9 bucks a plug, what would that be?

Thanks!

NGK says the OE plugs are their 6364 (BKR6ES) standard plug. Not platinum, iridium, etc, just a normal, old-fashioned plug. They do list iridium, platinum, and add'l options.

NGK does say, according to Toyota, to change the plugs every 30k miles, and while they're cheap (less than $4 on Amazon), I'd be tempted to switch to iridium or something for longer life (100k + miles). The mileage they last easily offsets the cost difference. Amazon has NGK 6418 (Iridium IX) plugs for about $6/each.

NGK's "Laser" platinum or iridium plugs are OE in many vehicles. They have precious metals on both electrodes, where the G-Power and IX only have it on the center electrode. My '01 Silverado came with Laser Platinums.

They're not the originals from what I know. I have a maintenance record from the previous owner and the exact model plug isn't listed. They were changed at 200K. I'm tempted to put a 100,000 plug in there and be done with it for a good while. Thanks for the reply.

That's where I'm at. I think I'll go with an iridium but wasn't sure where to land officially. Thanks for your reply.

I've only driven Japanese vehicles for many years and have learned my lesson about using parts other than NGK or Denso if at all possible.

Originally Posted by Tlhfirelion
I've only driven Japanese vehicles for many years and have learned my lesson about using parts other than NGK or Denso if at all possible.
Yeap, on Japanese (heritage) vehicles, stick with NGK or Denso plugs. Others might work okay but you're almost guaranteed that NGK and Denso will.

Laser Platinum: NGK 2215 (BKR6EP8) $5.29 at Rockauto

Laser Iridium: NGK 4867 (IFR6BK) $8.16 at Rockauto

Either one should get you another 100K.

Here's what your owners manual states:

Screenshot_2019-05-01-10-31-06.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Tlhfirelion
I have no idea on the waste spark or COD

Does it have wires to coil packs like FORD?

You will have to do wires. They can be like gremlins though. Always wanting to do no good.

COP is coil on plug where the wires are low voltage going to indivdual coils for each plug. I would doubt it would sport that design for that year - esp on a truck.

Good luck either way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back