Best Small Truck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys - I was hoping everyone could pitch in and help me figure out which (new) small truck would be the best to buy.

I'm looking for something with the most durable engine (preferably an inline four) easy to work on and built to last (almost) forever.

I'm currently driving an 1986 Jeep Comanchee truck that I bought new, with a VERY durable 2.5L engine. That rascal is original, except for starter, belt and hoses! The only real mechanical problem I've had to tackle was the brake system. Even the original clutch is in there!

So, you can see I expect a lot...

Anyway, I would appreciate your help and advice.

Thanks,
Jim

The small truck that comes to mind when you say 'built to last forever' would be a Tacoma. My sister has one, her boyfriend has one, and several friends of mine have one and they all love their trucks. My sister's 2001 Pre-Runner (yeah, I know - a V6) just passed 107K and it's never been in the shop for anything but routine maintenance, and it purrs like a kitten. I don't believe there's another compact truck that rivals Toyota for trouble-free operation.

I've been a die-hard Ford guy since forever, but I've always said that if I was in the market for a compact pickup, I would pass up on the Ranger and go straight for a Tacoma. These things are tough as nails. A friend of mine has a 4cyl. stick shift truck he uses as his work truck, and he hauls around a lot more than some guys I've seen haul with their half ton trucks. His has got something like 180,000 miles on it and starts up every morning and drives without a hiccup. And if a work truck is not your thing, they look pretty good inside and out too, so you can ride in style if you want.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

The Ford Ranger is really the only "small" truck left.The Tacoma is more in line with the midsize trucks now. I wouldnt think twice buying a Ranger with the 2.3 or the 3.0 and a 5 speed if thats what i needed. If you need something a little bigger the Tacoma is defanatly a nice truck that will last a long time.

I currently own a 2004 Tacoma Ext Cab with the 2.4l 5 speed. Without the roof rack and bike hitch rack, I got 24-26 mpg. Only real issue so far was a leaking rear pinion seal which was replaced under warranty. Decent ride (for a small truck) but it does lack power for highway acceleration. I have a few minor complaints but they are my own observations and peculiarities. I don't have any recent experience in other small trucks (had a 1983 Nissan to 176k). The sticker on mine was $19k. I paid $15k in July of 2004. Resale is still pretty decent.

Ford Ranger with MT was sold at 167,000 miles. Replacment parts include a water pump, brake pads, hoses, belts, thermostate, alternator & starter. Never left me stranded. Sold running well.

Never stranded you? Did you replace some of those parts before they broke? Alternators and water pumps are usually great 'stranders'.

A buddy just bought a used S-10 4 door cab with a six foot bed. Real nice for a small truck. It's got a 4.3 in it.

I drove an S-10 for 8 years and 80K miles - never had a single problem, just filters, serpentine belt, and tires and oil.

Now I have a Ranger with 24K that just got out of the shop for a rear main seal replacement and an oil pan gasket replacement. Both were leaking and replaced under warranty.

The 3.0 Ranger is a little underpowered and not too great on gas mileage. From what I've read, it makes up for it in durability, just not my engine in particular, at least when it comes to seals and gaskets!

The Ranger 3.0 is a pretty easy engine to work on, as are most small trucks. No lifting or jacking, the engines have room in the compartment. And this is engine has been around for a long time - there is tons of info on it on various forums. Good luck with your decision.

There seems to be a real lack of small 4 cyl pickups on the market at the moment. My last two have been an 1980 and a 90 Toyota both with the old 22R, there combined 'never stranded me' millage to date is almost 800K! I would like to replace the 90, but have yet to find anything that matches the reliability, economy and basic utility, I'm seriously considering getting an older rust free example, and getting it restored to new condition.

Give the 5 speed 4 banger 2.7 liter Tacoma Prerunner a test drive. It should fit your expectations as described. If you don't want the taller stance they sell the non prerunner Tacomas with the 5 speed 2.7 liter engine package as well 9it should be less expensive and better mileage).

The Tacoma is selling the best for a reason.

Good advice so far - thanks guys!

I was leaning toward the Ford Ranger too, but still open on what brand. To me it's all about the engine.

BTW, I remember reading recently the thread concerning which were the best engines out there (it seemed like the inline-fours were getting the best press) but I can't locate it again.

Any ideas where that went?

Thanks again,
Jim

I would look hard at the Ranger. Tough, easy to work on, cheap to maintain, and reliable. You can probably pick one up for around $12,000-$13,000 brand new if it is a stripped down XL model. The four cylinder Ranger has best in class fuel economy, but the 3.0L Vulcan V6 is unbeatable for reliability.

My parents have a 2002 3.0L one with about 40,000 miles on it. The only problems have been an idler pully replaced under warranty (it sometimes made noise when it rained), and a broken tailgate handle (replaced with a metal one from an F-Series). Everything on the truck still looks and feels brand new.

My truck is a 2001 Ranger with the no longer available 2.5L Lima I4. It will average about 28 MPG on long trips doing 70-75 MPH. It is a stripped down XL model that has seen fleet use in its previous life. I picked it up with 48,000 miles back in 2004. The only fluid that had ever been touched was the engine oil, and only the oil and air filters had ever been replaced. I got it caught up on maintenence and now 35,000 miles later it is still doing great. The only problems have been the tailgate handle and a damaged 3rd brake light gasket (not really the truck's fault). No check engine light or anything like that ever.

I would also give Colorados a look. Their engines are newer, so they have not really been proven yet, but the new ones seem to be well built and designed. 2004 and 2005 models did not have the greatest build quality, but I think GM improved a lot there. You can get a base model I4 one for $13,000.

If you look at service truck fleets, such as pest control,parts delivery, etc. I think you'll see approx 70% Ranger,15% Colorado,and 15% everything else.

Bob

I like the Colorado with the LT interior, 4 cyl. auto. If you spend the extra bux (I think $500 for the 1LT), you'll get really nice seats and cast wheels. You should be able to get one with the 1LT package for around 13.5K with the 5 speed, another 1K for the automatic. The Colorado regular cab has a lot of room for a small truck. www.coloradofans.com.

I'd give Ranger best and cheapest if you buy new.
I'd be looking at the tacoma and nissan if you can pay
16-18k and really mean best.

One thing Ranger has going for it would be the cost of parts. Should be very cheap to maintain since they haven't change anything drastically for years. I have a 06 2.3 and average 24 city and 28 highway. I've driven a 00 with 65k (in 2002), and a 02 with 200k+ (in 03-04) and both held up well under security uses.. Ford's in general tend up hold up well under those conditions though. Ranger is currently the only compact truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back