Best Shotgun for a senior lefty - Browning BPS 20 gauge?

A 20 gauge is usually lighter than a 12 guage of the same model/type, so the recoil reduction is a common misconception or myth. 1oz of shot at 1100fps produces the same energy coming from a 12 or 20 gauge hull. So you're getting the same push on less weigth = more push into your shoulder (and face on a poorly fitted or improperly held gun).
I shoot Trap in a league and even the oldest, most feeble, shoot 12 gauge. They just reduce the shot to achieve less felt recoil. 7/8 or 3/4 oz @ 1100fps will still smoke a clay if you do your job.
No one recommends starting shooting sports with a 20 guage anymore. There's more to it: shot column and pattern at the target etc. And most of all, for recoil sensitivity, a gas gun with proper fit. Proper fit, proper fit, proper fit............. I'll say it again; lighter loads and proper fit.
Mr Clean, you make a great observation that I had not really considered. Yup, lighter gun so less mass to “absorb“ some of the recoil. I figured all 20 gauge shells would have less shot in them because of the smaller diameter and then the physics equations F=Mass x Acceleration would give less felt recoil. I’ve only shot the 12 g shells my son purchased and if I know him they are the most powerful shells made. They kick like a mule.

About proper fit - is that accomplished after owning the gun via adjusting the butt pad or is it something to consider / measure while trying various guns in a store. Not sure what the fit metrics are other then it feels right but I’m sure you are going to say it’s much more then that.

... About proper fit - is that accomplished after owning the gun via adjusting the butt pad or is it something to consider / measure while trying various guns in a store. Not sure what the fit metrics are other then it feels right but I’m sure you are going to say it’s much more then that.
Unless you're getting a custom made gun, it's about going to a store with knowledgeable people who know what proper fit is, and a wide selection, and they help you try a bunch of different guns off the shelf until you find one that fits.

It's also proper hold that makes a world of difference in felt recoil. My 115 lb. wife shoots my 870 express 12 gauge no problem (don't mess with her ). I've seen 250 lb. guys who say it hurts their shoulder. Go figure.

So I’m a soon to be senior and have gotten into the shooting sports (pistol) as a hobby and as a way to stay connected with my son and frankly, meet some great folks. My son has gotten into shooting clays and I went with him and used his single shot 12 gauge and had more success then I expected. I would like to get my own shotgun. But the 12 gauge was too much, beat up my left shoulder and I’m already having rotator cuff issues with that shoulder that I don’t need to injure it while shooting. I am a lefty in everything except playing music (violin and guitar) and where the computer mouse goes.

I see clays, bird/duck, squirrel and maybe turkey hunting as future possibilities. I’d like to get one shotgun that could reasonably cover all these needs.

I am seriously considering a Browning BPS 20 gauge. Features include bottom discharge since I really don’t like shells ejecting across my sight line and an easily reached safety. I held one in 28 gauge and liked the feel of it but thought 28 gauge was too light and shell were going to be hard to find and expensive. Any thoughts on a Browning BPS or recommendations for other makes would be appreciate. Target is $800 or less. A pure lefty gun is a nonstarter since I want to be able to pass it down to my righty son once I’m unable to use it anymore. That time comes along for everyone unfortunately…

Mr Clean, you make a great observation that I had not really considered. Yup, lighter gun so less mass to “absorb“ some of the recoil. I figured all 20 gauge shells would have less shot in them because of the smaller diameter and then the physics equations F=Mass x Acceleration would give less felt recoil. I’ve only shot the 12 g shells my son purchased and if I know him they are the most powerful shells made. They kick like a mule.

About proper fit - is that accomplished after owning the gun via adjusting the butt pad or is it something to consider / measure while trying various guns in a store. Not sure what the fit metrics are other then it feels right but I’m sure you are going to say it’s much more then that.
Myself, I'm using rifle chassis(https://gritrsports.com/shooting/firearm-parts/chassis/ recently got one for my Rem 700) on most of my rifles purely 'cause I like adjustability. If you can find one with a good mix of wood parts on top of normal stuff - it's really good!
Browning is pretty good. Maybe look a bit more into Benelli. Also I'd honestly consider 12ga over 20. Regarding proper fit - if you know how to adjust it for yourself, should be a non-issue. But not all stores have really savvy people in my exprience. As MRC01 said, it's about finding a store with knowledgeable people that will help you find a good fit.

So I’m a soon to be senior and have gotten into the shooting sports (pistol) as a hobby and as a way to stay connected with my son and frankly, meet some great folks. My son has gotten into shooting clays and I went with him and used his single shot 12 gauge and had more success then I expected. I would like to get my own shotgun. But the 12 gauge was too much, beat up my left shoulder and I’m already having rotator cuff issues with that shoulder that I don’t need to injure it while shooting. I am a lefty in everything except playing music (violin and guitar) and where the computer mouse goes.

I see clays, bird/duck, squirrel and maybe turkey hunting as future possibilities. I’d like to get one shotgun that could reasonably cover all these needs.

I am seriously considering a Browning BPS 20 gauge. Features include bottom discharge since I really don’t like shells ejecting across my sight line and an easily reached safety. I held one in 28 gauge and liked the feel of it but thought 28 gauge was too light and shell were going to be hard to find and expensive. Any thoughts on a Browning BPS or recommendations for other makes would be appreciate. Target is $800 or less. A pure lefty gun is a nonstarter since I want to be able to pass it down to my righty son once I’m unable to use it anymore. That time comes along for everyone unfortunately…
Any double barrel / over under. Simple.

My softest shooting shotgun is a 12ga Beretta semi auto trap gun. Enjoy the clay games.

Well yesterday I took the leap and bought ($600) a new Browning BPS field 12 ga with a 28” barrel. I’ll mostly use it for shooting clays. That will mean me and my son in a field, alternating between who shoots and who operates the clay/bird launcher. I have no plans for entering competitions. It will be my first shotgun. Weighs 7lb 11 oz so I think the recoil will be largely absorbed by the gun.

While I was there I also bought ($400) a new Henry lever rifle 22lr with a walnut stock and an octagon barrel. Sweet!

Maybe I overpaid, not sure but I got a $1500 reimbursement check a few days ago from my dentist because my Aetna Medicare Advantage plan covered the dental work I had done in September so it was kind of “free“ money in my thinking.

Congrats! IMHO the BPS is a great shotgun. I have owned one for almost 45 years. It is serial #95 (01095) from the first year of production (1977). In my opinion, all shotguns should have a bottom feed and eject. I absolutely agree with you about the distraction of side eject shotguns. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours, as I have mine.

I'm curious, are they still made in Japan?

Back