20 gauge or 12 gauge

Did some skeet shooting recently and had a lot of fun shooting a rented 20 gauge. It was lighter, more maneuverable, and generally easier to shoot than my 12 gauge. I hate to say it, but I liked shooting it more than my 12 gauge. It’s honestly got me thinking about picking up a 20 gauge now. And if I do, I’m thinking I might get rid of the old 12 gauge.

Don’t know yet. What are your thoughts? You like 20 or 12? Even though this was skeet if you wanna throw home defense or hunting in there, because you don’t shoot skeet, go for it.

I had a similar experience except a 12 gauge beat up my shoulder and I’m very close to pulling the trigger on a Browning BPS 20 gauge. Going to use it for fun shooting clays, not competitive shooting. Might get into duck hunting too if I can find a mentor to show me the basics.

Keep the 12. Buy the 20 if you want. Look for 12g shells with less shot in it, for less recoil. But iirc 12g was about as cheap as it got, for the rounds.

how is the pull on the 12? i wonder if a recoil pad would help.

I have a middle age (ca 1988) Winchester 12 ga, Model 1300 Featherweight. It's a very light 12 ga for upland game bird hunting especially walking long trails and closed roads. Barely weighs 6 pounds. I love the thing and I never notice the recoil when birds are on the wing. But no way can I use it (for long) for skeet or trap. It's so light it beats the crud out of me.

Mass of the gun is very important.

It's not like "should I get a Ferrari or a McLaren." So cheap, get both. Less than $500 each, often far less. Shotguns are so ubiquitous and affordable everyone should have multiples in several calibers. It's always nice to find ammo for something you have, when it's in short supply. Or as a loaner in a pinch.

IF recoil is a real concern, reduced recoil shells are the solution in a 12 ga.

I like 20ga for skeet. When i used to buy the 100 round bricks from Walmart is easier on the shoulder. What about 410 gauge? That’s even smaller

One of my favorite shotguns is a Remington 20 semi. That shotgun is so well balanced at one time a pheasant flew out and I didn't have time to get the gun pointing in the correct direction fast enough so I took a hip shot literally with the butt of the gun beside my right hip and nailed that Pheasant from a good distance. That gun is on site before you even look down the sites when you do use it up on your shoulder. And the smooth back of it where the back of the action meets the stock allows it to slide off the side of your right cheek without busting up your teeth. You can't say that about a Brownie. My dad broke off a center top front tooth when his brownie 12 gauge semi slip from his shoulder during an overhead shot at a goose. He had to have a cap on that tooth for the rest of his life. People love the Brownie for its action but if you're going to point the gun towards the sky you don't want that flat back of the action coming against your face. It can cause some serious damage. For that reason alone I will never buy a Brownie shotgun. As for 20 or 12 or even 10 gauge I've shot all of them and it depends on what you're shooting at. 20 is pretty light to be trying to bring down a goose. But for duck or anything smaller it's plenty enough.

Last edited:
Keep the 12. Buy the 20 if you want. Look for 12g shells with less shot in it, for less recoil. But iirc 12g was about as cheap as it got, for the rounds.

how is the pull on the 12? i wonder if a recoil pad would help.
It fine the recoil is not really the problem. I just legitimately had more fun with the 20. It was lighter, smoother, and just easier to manage which translated into being more enjoyable. I guess my logic behind it is if I’m going to shoot for fun why wouldn’t I just shoot a gun that I have more fun with?

I like 20ga for skeet. When i used to buy the 100 round bricks from Walmart is easier on the shoulder. What about 410 gauge? That’s even smaller
Even more expensive ammo, and from what I've read, considered an "expert's" gun for skeet, as the round holds so little shot.

Not saying it's a dumb idea, I thought about one for home defense, and that's basically what my searching turned up, clicking on various forum discussions.

It fine the recalls not really a problem. I just legitimately had more fun with the 20. It was lighter, smoother, and just easier to manage which translated into being more enjoyable. I guess my logic behind it is if I’m going to shoot for fun why wouldn’t I just shoot a gun that I have more fun with?
Nothing wrong with that. I'd keep the 12 though, and get the 20. Take both to the range--if you're having a bad streak, bring out the 12. :)

20ga. easier on the shoulder, harder on the wallet (for any load other than birdshot).

i’ve greatly enjoyed shooting others’ high-end (i.e. $1000+) benelli 12ga semiauto shotguns but, being no hunter or clays shooter, my limited firearms budget is spent elsewhere. that said, if i wanted just one long gun to rule the urban and rural jungles, for any task, of any pro- or anti-gun jurisdiction in north america, it would be a benelli 12ga semiauto shotgun.

I have a middle age (ca 1988) Winchester 12 ga, Model 1300 Featherweight. It's a very light 12 ga for upland game bird hunting especially walking long trails and closed roads. Barely weighs 6 pounds. I love the thing and I never notice the recoil when birds are on the wing. But no way can I use it (for long) for skeet or trap. It's so light it beats the crud out of me.

Mass of the gun is very important.
I am a big fan of Winchester. That’s what the 12 is.

Back