best ratcheting combo wrenches

I’ve had my blue point ratcheting combos for like 11 years of nonstop abuse and the common sizes are starting to skip. i can still buy a new set as a williams but i’m looking to upgrade.

the snap-on my coworker had was from another planet compared to it. so much sleeker slimmer and nicer in the hand.

is there anything that remotely compares and isn’t going to put me into the poorhouse? i’m willing to consider european brands especially non chrome finishes that don’t slip and don’t look horrible after a couple years of work.

The new Snap-on are really nice. They really are about the best. I bought a new set from a member here a couple years ago, and they are holding up well. Snap-on did good with the redesign.

The Gedore (made in Germany) are just ok. I bought a set several years ago and have since sold them.

Hazet and Stahlwille are both made in Taiwan, and they are fine. But they are no better than any other good Taiwan ratcheting wrench.

Last edited:
The new Snap-on are really nice. They really are about the best.

The Gedore (made in Germany) are just ok. Hazet and Stahlwille are both made in Taiwan, and no better than good Taiwan ratcheting wrenches.
so i guess if i’m forced to make compromises, what would be a slimmer option than my old blue point dinosaurs?

Ive had my gearwrench sets since I was a kid and have no complaints. I beat the snot out of them and turn them in for warranty when they start acting weird. Your blue point ones carry a lifetime warranty as well and could just be turned in for whatever the most current blue point model is.

so i guess if i’m forced to make compromises, what would be a slimmer option than my old blue point dinosaurs?
I updated my earlier response while you typed this.

I assume you mean the box end thickness? My other regularly used ratchet wrenches are Facom/USAG 467B and Carlyle (Napa), and I believe both have thinner box ends than the old Blue Point style.

I favor the Facom over Carlyle, but they are both fine. The Facom have a spring that acts as a stop for fastener head, but it moves out of the way if needed. Clever design that works.

Last edited:
Here's a nice set of wrenches that will last this guy a lifetime;

mechanic-tattoo-design-ideas-15.jpg

I've used the "Dual 80" Snap-on's & they are very nice, But not nice enough to upgrade my circa 2008 Snap-on ratcheting combination wrenches. I also have circa 2003 Blue Point ratcheting combination wrenches that I really like.

Got some extra long Snap-on Double Box End ratcheting wrenches on order to replace the ever failing Platinum/Mountain wrenches that were great at first but fell short in long term durability....Been over 3 months.

Why not just buy the sizes you use most in Snap-on combo's?

Back in around 2003 I purchased a set called Metrinch.... They work on both metric and SAE. Some cars back then were a mixture of both. I still use them today and love them. I like the way it grabs the walls of the bolt and not the high points so even if the edges are stripped they will still hold and break the bolt loose...

That's surprising.
I think they probably use the same supplier as Blue Point or Williams to their specs. Depending on the sales volume they may start making them in Germany but it may take a long while if ever. It took decades before 3/8 drive sockets and ratchets became popular outside of pro use, most DIY sets were 1/4 and 1/2.

I updated my earlier response while you typed this.

I assume you mean the box end thickness? My other regularly used ratchet wrenches are Facom/USAG 467B and Carlyle (Napa), and I believe both have thinner box ends than the old Blue Point style.

I favor the Facom over Carlyle, but they are both fine. The Facom have a spring that acts as a stop for fastener head, but it moves out of the way if needed. Clever design that works.
Those Facom are very nice! If I didn’t already have a nearly new set of Williams…

Back in around 2003 I purchased a set called Metrinch.... They work on both metric and SAE. Some cars back then were a mixture of both. I still use them today and love them. I like the way it grabs the walls of the bolt and not the high points so even if the edges are stripped they will still hold and break the bolt loose...
I have been using Metrinch sockets and ratchets since around the mid 90's and still use the set on a regular basis that I bought way back then. I think I've only had to replace a couple of sockets and they have a lifetime warranty. They are my favorite tools that I use probably 98% of the time.

Amazon currently has a Hazet 606/5 5pc set at a good price of $95.82 for 8, 10, 13, 17, 19mm reversible ratcheting combo wrenches. The same set sells for $163 at MisterWorker and $190 at KC Tools. If it had 12mmm and 14mm instead of 8mm and 13mm I would personally be buying the set.

Hazet 606/5 Amazon

Reactions: D60
Amazon currently has a Hazet 606/5 5pc set at a good price of $95.82 for 8, 10, 13, 17, 19mm reversible ratcheting combo wrenches. The same set sells for $163 at MisterWorker and $190 at KC Tools. If it had 12mmm and 14mm instead of 8mm and 13mm I would personally be buying the set.

Hazet 606/5 Amazon
The reviews are....mixed. Several of the German ones seem to suggest quality has slipped and was not exactly what would have been expected from Hazet. Or maybe I'm compiling the data incorrectly or with bias (I don't know much about Hazet either way)

Back