Best Practice For Applying A Sealant To A New Car ?

I am awaiting delivery on a brand new car. I have instructed the dealer to have their new car prep guy only remove any protective wrapping or cover on the car when it arrives but not to wash it or apply any type of wax or sealant. I will do that myself. I am on the fence now between using Turtle Wax Pro Graphene or TW Hybrid Solutions Ceramic. I will most likely clay bar the paint first.

My question pertains to washing the car as part of the process. Should I use something like Dawn DW soap to gently hand wash the car to make sure the paint is free of any contaminants, clay bar the paint, and then wash again with Dawn to remove any clay residue prior to applying the Graphene or ceramic coating product ?

Or is regular car wash soap that isn't a "wash & wax" product fine for the wash stages ? I have some Meguiars Gold Class car wash soap that I normally use.
Never ever use dish soap!
Here's what my new in April Ford Ranger's finish looked like after applying $15 a bottle TW Hybrid solutions Ceramic. Check out the reflection of the garage walls.

Attachments

• IMG_6846.jpeg
    IMG_6846.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 32
  1. Actual car wash soap (no wax)
  2. Clay the surface (new cars DO come with surface contaminants (ask me how I know)
  3. Use TW Seal & Shine , Meg's Ceramic Wax , etc. per instructions (for Meg's I apply wet with a new wet wash mitt and spread it around via the wash mitt then rinse and buff dry )
  4. Repeat as required

I’m gonna try this 3M synthetic wax
I was intrigued by the msds ingredients list

Attachments

• 7EA2084E-D1D8-40C8-AD84-E082288FD533.jpg
    7EA2084E-D1D8-40C8-AD84-E082288FD533.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 11
  • E33B9363-D38A-40BD-B39C-28857F0442EB.jpeg
    E33B9363-D38A-40BD-B39C-28857F0442EB.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 11
I’m surprised that they list kaolin as a ingredient. Kaolin is a fine clay powder.
I went through a whole bunch of sheets and only one of the top shelf companies also had the titanium dioxide (it might’ve been the Maguires NXT next generation)
Nu finish had ceramic included but no more

Just a wild guess but I wonder if the kaolin is for filling in imperfections?

Kaopectate was what a older pharmacist described as rotten apples and mud. It worked too. Unfortunately they have changed the formula since.

Back