Best place for tire purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
cool.gif
Support your local small businessman! (I own a small business) I buy from a local shop with fine balancing equipment, for the most part they do not sell name brand tires. OTOH, it's decent stuff, I can walk around and browse the racks, and since I'm there so much and send them business, if I need a rotate & balance they only charge me half what they charge anybody else.
smile.gif

Tire Rack is nice, I've bought from them, the prices look good but once you figure in about $10 each shipping and $10 each to mount and balance, it kinda negates any savings. I've bought there for my dad's and my sister's cars that had oddball sizes that were tough to find.

When you live in a large city, yes, the shipping and M&B tend to negate the savings, but whan you are not in a large city, it is still usually possible to achieve quite a savings, as well as getting tires you simply cannot buy locally.

If the local offers the product at anywhere near the mail-order cost, up to about 10% or so higher, I'll go that route, but I'll not get raped either. At any rate, you still gotta' pay someone to mount and balance them, so you are still helping the local out.

I have used TireRack and think they are very good. One problem I've had is when I needed to use the tread wear warenty. Tirerack says Sears Automotive. Sears insisted that I have receipts for alignment work every 6 months before they would hornor the warenty. In short: they don't want to warenty anything if you didn't purchase the tires from them. That is a real negitive if you purchase on-line. ed hayes
mad.gif

I use the Tires Plus a few miles away. Doesn't hurt my cousin is one of the head mechanics over there...

I got a price match on my REVO's, lifetime balance, rotation, and tire repair, and they actually had the tires in stock as opposed to every other outfit that quoted me 4 to 6 weeks on the size I wanted at the time.

Maybe its just me, but the help at Wal-mart doesn't give me the warm fuzzies even if they are cheap...

I ended up ordering tires through Sam's club for both of my vehicles...LT265/70R17's Bfg at's for my F-150, and P215/65R16's Gy Alegras for my wifes Taurus.

I ordered them @ almost $15 per tire cheaper than any online store that I could find, which more than paid for my membership 3 times over.

I've had good luck with Sam's Club and a small local shop that has good prices. Tires Plus tire prices are good, but then they rape you on the mounting, balancing, and valve stems. I think Sam's has lifetime mounting and balancing for about 8.00 - 9.00 per tire (used to be 6.50). They also told me that they can order most any tire that they don't stock.

i just picked up a nice used tire balance machine and tire mounting machine.

i do all my own work on my vehicles. the only time i ever bother to go into a tire store is to buy tires.

heres a money saving tip for some of you. if you buy new tires, they will try to stick you with a tire disposal fee. locally it is $5 per tire.
if you just elect to take youre tires home and put them out with the trash you can save $20. i dont know if every city takes used tires for free with the heavy trash but mine does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back