Received An Ad From Costco-Tire Sale

I didn’t know they went back to that model? The last set I bought from them before covid, they were charging for mount & balance.
Very recent change to no extra charge for mount and balance, probably within the past month or so. I figure it won't be long until each tire has a slight bump in price to account for a portion of this.

They receive Michelin training. I just had my non Costco tires balanced and rotated for $25. Had an appt...took about an hour. Only problem was they put 50# of air in my tires. They now have self service nitrogen inflators so I backed in there and corrected it. You set the pressure you want and it either adds or subtracts pressure.
Other get training too. However, retention of good workers in DT etc. is absolutely abysmal.

How did they "hose you"? How many years ago? Are the same people STILL WORKING in the tire department?
My parents purchased tires as a Christmas gift from sams club 10 years ago. I was told I didn't need a membership for tire rotations or repairs as my parents purchased them with their membership. I drove back to Colorado. My first tire rotation they said I do need a membership for any future work.

My parents purchased tires as a Christmas gift from sams club 10 years ago. I was told I didn't need a membership for tire rotations or repairs as my parents purchased them with their membership. I drove back to Colorado. My first tire rotation they said I do need a membership for any future work.
Then it was a communication error-somewhere. You were far from "hosed". And of course-the chances of those people who gave you wrong information still being there are minuscule.

That's right up there with-"I had a lousy set of Goodyear Tires twenty years ago-they are all garbage".
I mean really-what a very silly grudge to hold.

"The rest of story".

Last edited:
Bought tires from Costco over the summer. Only problem was I had to wait two weeks for installation after purchase. The installation itself was uneventful. Sure I'd buy from Costco again.

None of my local Costcos do road force balancing and I’m not willing to deal with the hassle of out of round troubleshooting so I go to Discount Tire because all they do is road force balancing. DT will find and address out of rounds at the time of sale, not over the weeks or months afterwards.

None of my local Costcos do road force balancing and I’m not willing to deal with the hassle of out of round troubleshooting so I go to Discount Tire because all they do is road force balancing. DT will find and address out of rounds at the time of sale, not over the weeks or months afterwards.
This is not entirely true. DT will offer road force balance at an additional cost, but it is not included by default.

I have also never seen a DT use the force matching feature correctly, so you may as well flush the extra $80 down the drain.

This is not entirely true. DT will offer road force balance at an additional cost, but it is not included by default.

I have also never seen a DT use the force matching feature correctly, so you may as well flush the extra $80 down the drain.
My local DT only has RF balancers. No extra cost.

I had my new Firestone Firehawk A/S V2 tires installed at Costco last night. The wait was very long; they were short handed in the bays. Saved around $150 over the best competitor I could find in town.

My local DT only has RF balancers. No extra cost.
You missed the point. All of the newer DT locations have Road Force Balancers.

But unless the force matching feature is being used (circled below), it is just a normal balance.
1700088203222.png

99% of shops with road force balancers would just hammer (or stick) on .75oz of weights and consider this a "road force balance," when in fact, it is just a normal balance.

You missed the point. All of the newer DT locations have Road Force Balancers.

But unless the force matching feature is being used (circled below), it is just a normal balance.
View attachment 188698

99% of shops with road force balancers would just hammer (or stick) on .75oz of weights and consider this a "road force balance," when in fact, it is just a normal balance.

They’ve always given me the printout showing the runout and it’s a zero cost thing. But the big point is being missed, Costcos don’t have any option to roadforce balancing. Speaking from experience, if you get an out of round it is roughly 12 hours of your time to get it fixed at Costco.

They’ve always given me the printout showing the runout and it’s a zero cost thing. But the big point is being missed, Costcos don’t have any option to roadforce balancing. Speaking from experience, if you get an out of round it is roughly 12 hours of your time to get it fixed at Costco.
I have probably spent well over $5K at DT's in the last few years at various locations throughout CA, and have never received a printout.

Glad to hear that the DT's in your area are more competent.

Lol. I don’t know what force thing they do, but of numerous sets I got from DT, they never once got balance right first time on any set I got. With current DWS06+ I had to go back 3 times.

Lol. I don’t know what force thing they do, but of numerous sets I got from DT, they never once got balance right first time on any set I got. With current DWS06+ I had to go back 3 times.
Ouch. Happened to me at a few local tire shops over the years and once at Costco as well. Never at DT so far (knock on wood).

Back