Best option for Coyote engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all
I write here so please help me with a question:
I currently own a 2013 Mustang 5.0 with approximately 46,000 miles. I must change engine oil, and according to the manual this must be 5w20 and comply with the WSS-M2C945 standard.
Now, that you swap with the above, in my country I have found only Motorcraft synthetic blend, and full synthetic; Mobil 1 full synthetic.
I currently use Redline 5w20, which I am not sure meets the standard indicated by Ford.
If indicated, which option will be the most appropriate?
Thank you!!

I am assuming it is outside of powertrain warranty?

If so, and it was my car, I would run any synthetic 5W-30 meeting SN+ and/or Dexos1 Gen2, and call it a day.

And I don't see anywhere in the owner's manual where it uses the word "must" for anything in regards to grade nor specification.

Redline is a great choice, as are the Mobil 1 choices. I live in South Florida, where it's hot-hot-hot all year long. We've discovered that due to our hot climate, going up in viscosity can be helpful in reducing timing chain wear and cam phaser knocking issues in certain Ford cars. I use a 10w-30 or M1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck in my Ford vehicles that call for 5W-20 and 5W-30.

I do not recommend higher viscosity in colder climates.

What I always recommend is the choice of a quality synthetic oil, frequent oil changes and the use of sufficient viscosity for the task at hand.

Last edited:
Welcome to BITOG. Redline is an outstanding motor oil. Use it with confidence. It's a bit expensive $$$.

The Hemi and Coyote are two engines both known for their ticks, that sound more like knocks. They tick for two different reasons, but either can benefit from hearty oils like the one you are using now. Also, you can add lubegard biotech to any oil to also give you protection for the metal banging that happens sometimes with these applications. Keep that in mind if you try another oil and you get bbq tick, you might want to move back to that redline formula, but I like the idea of using 5w30 if it isn't too cold where you are at. If you are in snow area, just keep running 20 weight. Motul 300v is also built similar to that redline formula.

Does the F-150 version spec 5w30?

I'd probably run a brandname 5w30.... maybe a thinner 5w30 like pennzoil platinum or valvoline advanced. Both have the Ford -B1 spec.

Originally Posted by BLND1
Does the F-150 version spec 5w30?

I'd probably run a brandname 5w30.... maybe a thinner 5w30 like pennzoil platinum or valvoline advanced. Both have the Ford -B1 spec.

No.

Originally Posted by kschachn
And I don't see anywhere in the owner's manual where it uses the word "must" for anything in regards to grade nor specification.

I'm always amazed how many don't know the difference between "recommend" and "must".

Originally Posted by PWMDMD

I'm always amazed how many don't know the difference between "recommend" and "must".

According to new gasoline vehicle manuals published since the Model-T, many don't know the difference between 'recommend' and 'required'.

Wait - never mind! My great-grandad's Model-T did not have a glovebox for a manual.....lol

Originally Posted by PWMDMD

This comes up quite a bit on here I feel. And while true, not using whats recomeneded in the owners manual is always enough for a dealer to give you a hard time. Sure you could fight it, but the amount of time and money that would take would be fun.

As for the oil and grade, I've seen various UOAs to show 5w20 or 5w30 holding up well in daily used Coyotes. Not sure if they still do but Ford use to recomend 5w50 when tracking the 5.0 (as in the Boss and Track back 2012-2014s). I've been using pennzoil platinum 5w20 but I don't have any UOAs to say how its doing. I'll probably wait until I have 20k miles on the engine for one. Right now just over 10k on mine. But no ticking or anything with the PP 5w20 and motorcraft filter.

I have 31,000 miles on my 2014 Mustang GT and it's used 5W-20 Motorcraft blend it's entire life. No ticks or oil usage.

I won't use Mobil 1 so it would be the Motorcraft or Redline. Since Redline is so expensive and I've never seen anything that shows it extends oil life, I would go with the Motorcraft if those are your only three options.

Plenty of people like and swear by Mobil 1 and I used to be a fan boy of it back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Crappy oil analysis results, oil usage, and more engine noise using it convinced me to never use it again. It is probably a better oil than when I used it but I have no desire to try it again.

Originally Posted by wtd
Plenty of people like and swear by Mobil 1 and I used to be a fan boy of it back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Crappy oil analysis results, oil usage, and more engine noise using it convinced me to never use it again. It is probably a better oil than when I used it but I have no desire to try it again.

Yes we know. Thank you yet again.

Hi OP,
Welcome!!

In Australia, New Zealand and most of Europe the Global spec (non-North America) for that car and engine is Ford WSS-M2C-913-D (replaces the previous 913-C).

This is a full synthetic 5W30 with Euro ACEA A5/B5 rating, it's at thin end of the viscosity grade for fuel economy, it's also got elevated zinc levels (~ 1000 ppm) for extra wear protection and so is "only" API SL, plus the A5 minimum TBN of 8 has been raised to 10 for extended oil change intervals (OCI).

A great oil specifically developed by Ford, but unfortunately because it's zinc (ZDDP) level push it outside the API SN requirements it can't be sold easily in the home country of Ford.

See if you can track some of that down. In Australia I can get 913-D oils from Castrol, Valvoline, Penrite, Shell and Nulon. I believe it is also the same as Jaguar Land Rover STJLR.03.5003.

Failing that, I would go to the base specification this oil was built on, and that is an A5/B5 rated 5W30 oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back