Best oil to keep rings clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2007 Prius (1NZ-FXE) burns about 1/4 quart every 3,000 miles. I have 79,000 miles. Other Prius owners with higher mileage report much higher oil consumption (1 quart every 1000 miles)
mad.gif

People that have that had their oil burning 1NZ-FXE's open for a rebuild report the rings are not free in the lands - they are all carboned and gummed up, causing the oil consumption. Im sure some build up is inevitable but I'd really like to minimize oil consumption in the future.

Im trying to pick a motor oil that will keep my rings free and clean. I mean squeaky clean. Right now Im using M1 AFE for the winter, in the summer I use MSS 5w-30.

Any suggestions?

probably carboned up cause those engines don't run long enough at temperature due to shutting off all the time.

A quality synthetic will keep your rings from coking which is a major cause of blow by. In my 36 years of using M1 oils I have never had an engine show any sign of this problem, and I do 10K OCIs. Also over extending OCIs with dino can cause this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
probably carboned up cause those engines don't run long enough at temperature due to shutting off all the time.

Actually ring coking is caused by the oil oxidizing from heat breakdown. This is why a quality synthetic will prevent this.

You're only using 1/4 Qt In 3,000 miles? Then your rings are squeaky clean right now! That's excellent consumption.

Sounds to me like your choice of oil has been perfect. Stay the course...

Originally Posted By: [email protected]
My 2007 Prius (1NZ-FXE) burns about 1/4 quart every 3,000 miles. I have 79,000 miles. Other Prius owners with higher mileage report much higher oil consumption (1 quart every 1000 miles)
mad.gif

People that have that had their oil burning 1NZ-FXE's open for a rebuild report the rings are not free in the lands - they are all carboned and gummed up, causing the oil consumption. Im sure some build up is inevitable but I'd really like to minimize oil consumption in the future.

Im trying to pick a motor oil that will keep my rings free and clean. I mean squeaky clean. Right now Im using M1 AFE for the winter, in the summer I use MSS 5w-30.

Any suggestions?

Have you checked your pcv valve? If not, check it and clean it or replace it. It's a major cause of oil consumption for Prii.

If you buy into advertising then it would be PU, at least according to some of their ads. It could very well be true.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If you buy into advertising then it would be PU, at least according to some of their ads. It could very well be true.
27.gif

However Pennz only shows the boss side of the piston. It's the land, or flat side that will show more varnish.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
27.gif

However Pennz only shows the boss side of the piston. It's the land, or flat side that will show more varnish.

Like I said if you buy into the advertising.........I take all ads with a grain of salt. BTW I think PU is a great product, along with Mobil 1 and a few others.

Mobil 1,PP,PU to name a few should all do a good job for what your looking for.

Also your using AFE now good choice that can be used year around.

Keep using the M1 AFE. I would use it year round as well. It is an EXCELLENT oil.

SOPUS makes great oil, but their advertising is insane.

Marketing Considerations:
Q-Torquepower - Your engine will make more torque on THIS oil
Q-Horsepower - Your engine will make more horsepower with THIS oil
4x4 Blend - YOUR 4x4 runs best with THIS oil.
Winter synthetic blend - YOUR car will start better with THIS oil

In the end, they are all nice oils, but I typically wait until they are on clearance when the marketing dept changes ideas.

Some 1997 to 2000 MX5 Miata's also have had rings coking up.

Not widespread but a known problem. From reports on Forums the owners have used M1 and other synthetics other users reporting the fault had used semi synthetic and Dino oils and most had short OCI.

From reports on the various forums and this is not a scientific survey synthetics with short oci's were just as likely to have the problem as others using Dino oils. So oils appeared not to be a deciding factor.

If you like worrying about oils and want to spend more on your oil and change to a specific brand by all means do it if it makes you feel better but I would just enjoy driving the car.

eddie

Originally Posted By: [email protected]
Any suggestions?

Pennzoil Ultra. Best of all, as of yesterday, it's going for $25/5 quarts at my local Walmart...outstanding price.

Keeps pistons cleaner than any leading synthetic oil.
Keeps pistons up to 25% cleaner than Mobil 1.

Based on Sequence IIIG piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30. Does not apply to Pennzoil Ultra Euro, Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 or Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 motor oil. Pennzoil Ultra keeps pistons up to 25% cleaner than Mobil 1; up to 35% cleaner than Valvoline SynPower; and up to 40% cleaner than Castrol EDGE with SYNTEC. Pennzoil Platinum keeps pistons up to 8% cleaner than Mobil 1; up to 17% cleaner than Valvoline SynPower; and up to 20% cleaner than Castrol EDGE with SYNTEC."

http://www.viscocity.com/assets/jobaids/pennzoil/guidetorecommendingpennzoilmotoroil.pdf

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
^^^^WHAAA^^^^

Marketing!

M1 will keep his engine just as clean as Pennzoil.

M1afe will have a higher % of Vii which will lead to gumming, You may wish to try a REAL synthetic 5w20 with a lower VI. Amsoil Signature or PU. I would think the Motul 300v would have too much EP/AW adds that usually fail TEOST. You could also try a Euro high spec diesel low ash product. VSP has been clean on or Forester, better so than M1 or Qsud.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

This comment is likely the closest to the truth and it's quite possible under those type of running conditions no oil will prevent the issue.
Some may slow down the process but it's possible that ring gumming is inevitability under such a duty cycle.

Is there any way to stop the electric motor from engaging and running off just the engine. If it's possible maybe a weekly high load highway run could help prevent the gumming issue.
I cannot say for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back