Best oil overall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I know this question seems to be asked a lot, and i know the answer tends to be that it depends on the car. But there must be one oil (street formula that can be bought by the average consumer, no exotic racing oils) that seems to shine above the rest.

Pretty tough to beat the cost-to-performance value of Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (a.k.a., "German Castrol" or "GC"). Available in the U.S. at most AutoZone stores, usually for less than the cost of Mobil 1. GC continually turns in great UOA's in a variety of vehicles as well.

Quote:

I don't have any problem with someone making a claim. I do however have a problem with someon making claims and not backing them with any proof. There's been a lot of that going on in this topic.

You are right, and the ones that do provide the proof to back up their claims get criticized by those that have provided nothing.

Quote:

I believe this URL site will be an eye-opener for most interested in the "best" oil.
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

Well this is an interesting test. The Mobil 1 allowed more engine wear, it appears. The Amsoil however sheared down, but didn't allow as much engine wear (or they have a secret ingredient that hides wear metals in UOA's
confused.gif
).

I'm not sure what type of driving the original poster does. I don't know which engine he has (still). All I know is it's turbocharged and modified. How much horsepower? He doesn't like to spend much time typing I guess
smirk.gif

But at that drain interval, I suppose whichever Synthetic that is cheapest should be ok. If he is running it really hard, might even juust change it every 2 months. In which case, go with whichever Synth is cheapest like I said.

Although in MY turbo engine, Mobil 1 burns like ________ crazy. Wally Synth works ok. I'm gonna check out Rotella Synth and Castrol Syntec next. I'm running the Wally Sytnh and change it every 2-3 months.

I am driving really short trips right now, as work is 3 miles from home, and I come home for lunch. In fact today when I went and put gas in the car, I checked my oil, and I sniffed the dipstick; the oil smelled like raw fuel. The oil has only been in there a month. I took it for a 6 mile highway run, came home checked the oil, it smelled normal again. I guess I evaporated that raw fuel out of it by doing so. I'm rambling. But basically, short trips change it more often and use cheaper stuff because extended drain OCI is not a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back