Best oil for winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be the best oil filter, for snowy, sandy roads, winter months? In terms of oil flow and micron filtering? Ive used Purolator Pureone, Fram extend guard. I seem to like the extend guard, as it is rated at 10 - 20 microns, and shows #@$%! good oil flow on paper!! How about other fitlers out hteri, to help catch sand, dirt ect that floats around in the air?
cheers.gif

Unless you are driving a car that was built without PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) which was introduced about 1963?, you really don't have to worry about dirt floating in the air contaminating the oil. just make sure your air filter is in good shape.

WEll, jsut in general, whats the concensous of an oil fitler with excellent oil flow and micorn rmoval ratings?

I'm sure there will be variances between vehicles. However,

With my 05 Vibe it never had any issues with the OEM filter and 5W-30 dino at -15F.

Then I switched to a Pure One with 5W-30 Mobil 1. All was fine until it hit about -5F. I had clatter like I haven't heard in years.

Switched the Pure One for an Amsoil and the clatter went away.

The bottom line, for me anyway is, I've been sold on the Amsoil filter line and will continue to use them on all my vehicles that are run in the winter.

Quote:

Then I switched to a Pure One with 5W-30 Mobil 1. All was fine until it hit about -5F. I had clatter like I haven't heard in years.

I had a clatter issue with a FRAM. Problem was, it was 70 degrees out at the time...
crazy.gif
pat2.gif

Filters with silicone vs nitral anti-drainback valves seem to perform better in cold weather, they seal better abd remain more flexible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back