Best oil for 2015 F-150 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
30k miles on it? Just broken in. You will likely wreck it or get bored with it LONG before that engine has any hint of quitting. The Coy motor, with rare exceptions such as the first year engine block issues, is extremely robust and does not require anything special whatsoever. As long as you use a lube that's qualified to the Ford spec (of which there are a bazillion choices), that engine does not care. It has a HUGE sump for it's displacement, and every UOA I've seen shows stellar wear traits. All that engine needs is a decent dino 5w-20 rated to SN. You can spend more, but it won't alter your wear rates any. Do as you see fit.

PS - there is no "best" oil; not that you or anyone here can prove with certainty. There are many excellent lubes, but it would take FAR, FAR more time and money than you have to prove which is "best". Just be satisfied that most any decent SN rated lube will do fine. Go worry about something else.

Last edited:
The main issue with Ford OHC V8's after 2004, is the Cam Phasers for the variable cam timing. While the newer 5.0's are better than the early 3 valve 5.4's, these engines still need timely upkeep. The cam phasers don't seem to like overly long OCI's. Keep it to under 7500 miles seems to be the common ideology, but I've been hearing the newer 5.0's going 10,000 miles. My 2006 5.4L was running like a champ at 183,000+ with 5,000 mile Motorcraft 5W-20/Motorcraft filter changes, with almost 40,000 miles pulling our camper. No major engine work needed. To bad a drunk driver ended the quest for 200,000 miles...

Originally Posted By: MercZ73
The main issue with Ford OHC V8's after 2004, is the Cam Phasers for the variable cam timing. While the newer 5.0's are better than the early 3 valve 5.4's, these engines still need timely upkeep. The cam phasers don't seem to like overly long OCI's. Keep it to under 7500 miles seems to be the common ideology, but I've been hearing the newer 5.0's going 10,000 miles. My 2006 5.4L was running like a champ at 183,000+ with 5,000 mile Motorcraft 5W-20/Motorcraft filter changes, with almost 40,000 miles pulling our camper. No major engine work needed. To bad a drunk driver ended the quest for 200,000 miles...

The Ford owner's manual for at least the 2015+ 5.0L V8 says go by the OLM, but the oil can be ran up to 10,000 miles and 1 year. And that's with Ford specifying use of their Motorcraft synthetic blend oil. I wouldn't run Motorcraft that long seeing some of the UOA and how much is shears down in viscosity.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: MercZ73

The Ford owner's manual for at least the 2015+ 5.0L V8 says go by the OLM, but the oil can be ran up to 10,000 miles and 1 year. And that's with Ford specifying use of their Motorcraft synthetic blend oil. I wouldn't run Motorcraft that long seeing some of the UOA and how much is shears down in viscosity.

The owner's manual for my 2014 Mustang says the same thing as far as oil change recommendations go. I run 5w-20 Motorcraft blend in my Mustang and have no problems with it and I usually go a year before changes. The longest oil change interval I have had with this car was 7,200 miles in a year and the oil was still clear when I drained it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back