Best Oil Filters for RACING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any characteristics you'd rather have for an oil filter that is tracked/autoxed vs a "normally" driven one?

i.e., for a car that is driven very frequently (so cold starts) and when it is driven, it's raced - the bypass/relief valve seems to play a bigger role in this than % filtration at xy nm - is that correct?

i.e., for cold starts and/or racing, would I be correct in wanting an oil filter with a higher bypass valve? Which would mean that more oil is filtered under those circumstances?

Low efficiency media, high flow being a priority over uber-fine filtration. At the extreme, I'd expect nothing more than a very fine mesh screen filter, akin to what WWII vintage aircraft engines use. The engine will get overhauled and freshened up before the higher wear rate would ever become a real problem. So long as the filter stops really big particles that would cause a bearing scar, keeping the oil flowing fast takes priority.

any filter with a good bypass vavle. honestly, if your racing you don't really need an oil filter. You are probably changing the oil after each track day anyway. but, that's' probably not a great idea. I'd look for the highest flow filter you can find.

I prefer wix but I hear k&n's performance gold line has the best flow. The good k&n filter starts with part number "HP-"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrandonVA
any filter with a good bypass vavle. honestly, if your racing you don't really need an oil filter. You are probably changing the oil after each track day anyway. but, that's' probably not a great idea. I'd look for the highest flow filter you can find.

I prefer wix but I hear k&n's performance gold line has the best flow. The good k&n filter starts with part number "HP-"

thanks for the advice - what do you mean by "good" bypass valve? how do you determine highest flow? efficiency?

Originally Posted By: kyoo
Originally Posted By: BrandonVA

thanks for the advice - what do you mean by "good" bypass valve? how do you determine highest flow? efficiency?

well, reliable bypass valve. not sure how you determine highest flow. I'm not positive k&n has the best flow, just what I've read. You can also fit a higher capacity oil filter to your car than oem. for example k&n recommends the hp-1003 for my corolla but the hp-1002 will also fit and it is wider and taller. I believe that's what they spec for the camry which has a larger engine.

also hear the amsoil's filters filter better than k&n but I have no idea about flow.

Last edited:
I think the often made mistake is to assume that just because a filter has low efficiency that it also has high flow rate. This is not always true because it is too media dependent.

Big cannister so you can put a lot of high efficiency media in it to reduce pressure drop.

High temperature construction to operate reliably at 300F+.

We used Wix racing filters on high performance boat engines, and they worked fine.

I was under the impression that you want a smaller sized canister due to the larger ones having more expansion. I even recall a video of a japanese filter with a steel band on the filter to keep it from expanding under load.

Originally Posted By: kyoo
examples of filters that meet those criteria?

Fram Ultra is full synthetic media and flows very well, and has a very stout can. To help in this "racing situation", use a full synthetic oil, and don't use oil that it too thick, even for racing use. Auto crossing isn't as nuts on a motor than say going 30 laps on a 2 mile road course at red line for miles on end.

My cousin uses FRAM oil filters because he says John Force and Don Garlits used/uses them.
grin.gif

I go to 30 or more races a year(sprint car) and Fram racing filters are used the most by far. These engines(410 ci) cost 35 to 40k each so this is not some hobby type of racing, not when you have up to 200k just in engines. Wix racing filters are the next mostly used filters, but I would say Fram by 5 to 1 or even better than that over the Wix filters.

ROD

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I was under the impression that you want a smaller sized canister due to the larger ones having more expansion. I even recall a video of a japanese filter with a steel band on the filter to keep it from expanding under load.

Use an oil cooler and this won't happen.

Far as canister strength goes, Bosch D+ has one of the thickest, hardest cans I've ever come across. My NAPA heavy duty filter wrench, which can easily crush a filter to death, couldn't even put a dent in any of my D+ filters. I use a pair of D3500's on a remote filter housing on my Charger, making more than 1000 hp, backed up with a 140,000 BTU air cooled oil cooler with thermostatic bypass.

My oil pressure runs between 60-102 psi, depending on temp and rpm. Oil temps don't cross 190, no matter what.

I'm considering running twin Baldwin MPG filters, which would add 3 quarts to my system and further increase flow, but I doubt I'm having a problem with that right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back