Best oil change deal of my life

Nice deal!

Yet I can understand why employers tend to just throw away stuff when it is “bad”. My son worked at a Dunkin Donuts, they used to give the unused donuts at the end of the night away for free. Someone got sick, they sued. Now they throw away at least 100 donuts and muffins a night. My kid used to take them home - he could have been fired for that - but he said they were so desperate for workers at the time that no one enforced it. We all gained 20 pounds in three weeks and told him not to bring them home again.

I used to work at a place where customers would ask to bring in their own auto parts, the service manager would say to them, “we don’t allow it, when you go to a restaurant do you bring your own chicken?”. I always laughed at that one. 🤣

Hey John.. I think you got an AWESOME deal! And here you hurt your back (hope ya get better soon) and then you get the blessing of this insanely good deal, talk about payback right when you're not able to DIY it.. Gotta love those good blessings when they come, life is messed up enough, so good for you! Thanks for the happy story!
😁(y)
Thanks for the kind words! I'm very thankful for the deal that's for sure.

Nice deal!

Yet I can understand why employers tend to just throw away stuff when it is “bad”. My son worked at a Dunkin Donuts, they used to give the unused donuts at the end of the night away for free. Someone got sick, they sued. Now they throw away at least 100 donuts and muffins a night. My kid used to take them home - he could have been fired for that - but he said they were so desperate for workers at the time that no one enforced it. We all gained 20 pounds in three weeks and told him not to bring them home again.

I used to work at a place where customers would ask to bring in their own auto parts, the service manager would say to them, “we don’t allow it, when you go to a restaurant do you bring your own chicken?”. I always laughed at that one. 🤣
That's understandable, but the oil is definitely okay just because it was leaking doesn't mean it wasn't good.

Last edited:
Best I ever did was O’Reilly Havoline Full synthetic 5 quart jugs. $7.99. Bought like 13 of them and there were still plenty left. Should have gotten more. Have one left. It was almost 4 years ago!

So atm I work at a Walmart Auto care center. At work yesterday a box (2 of 3) of Valvoline afs 0w20 was dropped, and was "leaking" my boss told me to dispose of this oil when I had a chance.
I asked him "dispose of this how? It's just fine. How about this, I'll write my car (19 Mazda 3 hatch 2.5 n/a) up for a pitcrew ($22.98) and I'll use that oil to "dispose" of it."
He just said "idc how you dispose of it just get rid of it"
I had my girl bring my Napa gold filter I was gonna use next, and got my oil changed super cheap.
They give you a discount for not using their oil, so it was a great deal.
Best of all, you were getting paid to do an oil change on your car.👍😂

I always go to the places that let you bring your own parts. Even the Mercedes dealer will install the parts you bring if they're Mercedes parts. Some restaurants also let you bring your own wine.

I always go to the places that let you bring your own parts. Even the Mercedes dealer will install the parts you bring if they're Mercedes parts. Some restaurants also let you bring your own wine.
Yeah I ve seen a few places allow it. Been to a couple restaurants that let you bring in your own alcohol (although that was 25 years ago now). And I’ve seen a few repair shops allow you to bring your own parts. I’d like that too if I ever needed someone to fix my car.

The reason behind not allowing people to bring their own parts is warranty, fit, and time. If the part fails, the customer needs to know up front that it’s not covered. Then there’s the diagnoses part - if the customer thought that the noise/driveability issue was because of whatever part they gave you...and it wasn’t. They need to know upfront that there is no diagnosing going on, they are only getting labor to install a part. Stuff like that. And some of that takes time to explain...some customers are great and understand all of this before hand. Others? Not so much. They’ll blame you if that part they bought fails, or doesn’t work. I think that’s what keeps some shops from allowing it. Plus there’s the markup on parts they lose, of course. But something easy like an oil change...I think letting customers bring their oil and filter would be advantageous for the shop - especially hearing that some of these customers are paying $40 plus bucks for this service.

Do Not spread the news @ work. Ur against company policy (& many others I also worked at). nI would have poured it into the waste oil receptical. Lots of reasons the co.s do this. 1) Y do U & not another get the wind fall. 2) the store deffinition of waste is a tax write off for them (not as hi cost as sold but they claim it at a certain cost on taxes. Our Wally's hada locked cage this stuff went in to B shipped back, counted off, then donated to charity. Morre in here but enuff 4 now... (Shhhhh).

Back