Best oil change deal of my life

So atm I work at a Walmart Auto care center. At work yesterday a box (2 of 3) of Valvoline afs 0w20 was dropped, and was "leaking" my boss told me to dispose of this oil when I had a chance.
I asked him "dispose of this how? It's just fine. How about this, I'll write my car (19 Mazda 3 hatch 2.5 n/a) up for a pitcrew ($22.98) and I'll use that oil to "dispose" of it."
He just said "idc how you dispose of it just get rid of it"
I had my girl bring my Napa gold filter I was gonna use next, and got my oil changed super cheap.
They give you a discount for not using their oil, so it was a great deal.

Attachments

• D5E71715-9291-4B15-B29E-9AE923791779.jpeg
    D5E71715-9291-4B15-B29E-9AE923791779.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 328
So atm I work at a Walmart Auto care center. At work yesterday a box (2 of 3) of Valvoline afs 0w20 was dropped, and was "leaking" my boss told me to dispose of this oil when I had a chance.
I asked him "dispose of this how? It's just fine. How about this, I'll write my car (19 Mazda 3 hatch 2.5 n/a) up for a pitcrew ($22.98) and I'll use that oil to "dispose" of it."
I had my girl bring my Napa gold filter I was gonna use next, and got my oil changed super cheap.
Walmart let’s a customer supply their own parts? Seems kind of counterproductive since they are primarily a retailer. The Valvoline quick lube in my town does a 39.95 conventional oil change. Wanna bring your own oil and filter? They’ll use it, still costs 39.95.

We got lots of backlash at the dealership about not allowing customer supplied oil, mainly from AmsOil/Schaefer users but when you’re charging $6 in labor and making no parts profit the numbers just don’t add up.

Walmart let’s a customer supply their own parts? Seems kind of counterproductive since they are primarily a retailer. The Valvoline quick lube in my town does a 39.95 conventional oil change. Wanna bring your own oil and filter? They’ll use it, still costs 39.95.
Likely walmart customers are going to have bought their oil and filter at walmart anyways, the oil changes at walmart are more or less a loss leader anyways just to get people stuck at the store for an hour and buy other crap.

I like that the manager is cool with the employee benefiting from a busted case. Lots of places would have made him dump it in the recycle bin just to not incentivize people from busting cases on purpose in the future. Seen it many times in the past and always thought it was a waste.

We got lots of backlash at the dealership about not allowing customer supplied oil, mainly from AmsOil/Schaefer users but when you’re charging $6 in labor and making no parts profit the numbers just don’t add up.
Yes they have an option to click called customer provided. Here at my small town Walmart they just use the pitcrew since it's $22.98 vs Customer provided which is $30. Which doing that brings more people in.

I like that the manager is cool with the employee benefiting from a busted case. Lots of places would have made him dump it in the recycle bin just to not incentivize people from busting cases on purpose in the future. Seen it many times in the past and always thought it was a waste.
Yeah lucky me it's a small town otherwise I don't think it would've happened tbh.

Yes they have an option to click called customer provided. Here at my small town Walmart they just use the pitcrew since it's $22.98 vs Customer provided which is $30. Which doing that brings more people in.
That’s really pretty fair on both ends. When it was just a regular customer who just preferred say Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter on the F150 they bought at the same dealership it was no big deal but it eventually got out of control.

We’d have people bring in their BMW with their own parts and get the $6 for labor only oil change and never buy anything else. We had one lady who brought her Subaru in with her AmsOil oil and filter. Anything it needed was “oh my husband can do that” Well her husband came in throwing a fit one day because her rear wiper didn’t clean well and we didn’t tell her. Demanded we give them a wiper blade free of charge because they should have been informed and the dealership did provide that part to them for free. That was the only thing they ever “purchased” other than LOF labor. They definitely remembered to write a 2 page google review about us having shady business tactics when they were informed we’d no longer use their parts though.

The public sucks a lot of the time.

At that price, it is not worth to DIY.
Bitogers have a lot of oil in their stash anyway.
Considering I got the oil free and paid only $6 for the filter I'm in the oil change for $18.xx. I enjoy doing it myself but I hurt my back recently, and I got to pick the person that would be doing the change, and I got to be there the entire time. All things considered I thing I did great.

That’s really pretty fair on both ends. When it was just a regular customer who just preferred say Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter on the F150 they bought at the same dealership it was no big deal but it eventually got out of control.

We’d have people bring in their BMW with their own parts and get the $6 for labor only oil change and never buy anything else. We had one lady who brought her Subaru in with her AmsOil oil and filter. Anything it needed was “oh my husband can do that” Well her husband came in throwing a fit one day because her rear wiper didn’t clean well and we didn’t tell her. Demanded we give them a wiper blade free of charge because they should have been informed and the dealership did provide that part to them for free. That was the only thing they ever “purchased” other than LOF labor. They definitely remembered to write a 2 page google review about us having shady business tactics when they were informed we’d no longer use their parts though.

The public sucks a lot of the time.
Most people in this small town buy all their tires, and all from Walmart, so Walmart wins no matter what.

Walmart let’s a customer supply their own parts? Seems kind of counterproductive since they are primarily a retailer.
Their auto service department is more for convenience to their customers, not as a main profit center. Other than installing tires or batteries that they sell, most other repairs are treated like any regular shop, I would think. I mean, if you go there for an oil change, you can't "request" Mobil 1 oil and a Fram Ultra filter - they use, I presume, bulk oil and "shop" filters. Sure, like this thread shows, you can supply your own oil (and filter) but that's a different scenario.

We got lots of backlash at the dealership about not allowing customer supplied
I fully respect a shop if they choose not to use customer's own parts. They're in business to make money, i.e. capitalism, not perform auto repair services as a charity. If they charge $200/hour labor and mark up all parts 200%, if their customers or their market supports this, good for them. If a shop will use customer's parts, good for them too.

Likely walmart customers are going to have bought their oil and filter at walmart anyways, the oil changes at walmart are more or less a loss leader anyways just to get people stuck at the store for an hour and buy other crap.

I was looking that their pricing the other day when buying wipers, I assure you they are doing OK on oil changes and certainly aren't losing money with their stock pricing. Add ons like fuel cleaning services and tires, etc., probably are a decent if small profit along with the mentioned "keeping you in the store to shop" ethos....

Good for you, man. Handsome dog,too.

Considering I got the oil free and paid only $6 for the filter I'm in the oil change for $18.xx. I enjoy doing it myself but I hurt my back recently, and I got to pick the person that would be doing the change, and I got to be there the entire time. All things considered I thing I did great.
Hey John.. I think you got an AWESOME deal! And here you hurt your back (hope ya get better soon) and then you get the blessing of this insanely good deal, talk about payback right when you're not able to DIY it.. Gotta love those good blessings when they come, life is messed up enough, so good for you! Thanks for the happy story!
😁(y)

Back