Best oil and filter for a college student

Status
Not open for further replies.
I come to the BITOG gurus once again. My situation is this. I am giving my son a 2009 Dodge Journey 4 cylinder with about 95,000 miles on it. It has had regular oil changes every 7500 miles with Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 and Fram filters. Looking with a flashlight through the oil cap hole, everything looks clean as a whistle. Doesn't hardly use a drop between oil changes. Absolutely no engine problems other than having to replace a MAP sensor.

Giving this car to my son, it's likely he isn't going to be as fastidious about oil changes as I was. My question is this, what would be the best oil and filter combo for a more put it in and forget it scenario? Would the same oil and filter combo be adequate? I'll probably change it with him once a year when he comes home for the summer.

Thanks in advance!

Look at Ultra Platinum (not designated as extended performance but it will work fine), M1 EP. or Castrol Edge EP and a fram Ultra Guard for a once a year (15k miles max) oil change.

The once per year scenario is bad news unless you figure a way to get him to actually check/top the oil level. It will be the demise of his vehicle when it starts to consume it.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
The once per year scenario is bad news unless you figure a way to get him to actually check/top the oil level. It will be the demise of his vehicle when it starts to consume it.

Well if he can't check it he certainly isn't going to change it...

Surely he will be visiting home on occasion and Dad can check it.

One thing that would be a help is to say how many miles do you expect to be put on a year. Otherwise, you have a good choice, but I see Pennzoil don't have products that specify that you can go longer than OEM recommendations. No doubt there Ultra could probably go a year. Mobil 1 does. You can use that up to 10,000 miles, or there Extended Performance up to 15,000 miles, or use Amsoil Signature Series up to 25,000 miles. Oil Filters, there are many on here that like the Fram Tough Guard or Fram Ultra or use Mobil 1 Extended Performance Filter. Its your pick.

Make sure you tell him to check it.

Last edited:
It will likely be short trips with an occasional road trip thrown in. I would estimate about 15K miles a year.

It will likely be short trips with an occasional road trip thrown in. I would estimate about 15K miles a year.

Royal Purple or Amsoil with a good synthetic filter. Set it and forget it. If he is just making short hops around town that should afford him the protection he needs for a once a year OCI

How about teaching him some responsibility and letting him learn to maintain a vehicle? That's what college is about, growing into an adult and breaking away from your parents. He's getting a car for free, presumably. If he destroys this one then it's on him for the future.

I wouldn't worry so much about the oil type as I would of having him check it regularly.

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
How about teaching him some responsibility and letting him learn to maintain a vehicle? That's what college is about, growing into an adult and breaking away from your parents. He's getting a car for free, presumably. If he destroys this one then it's on him for the future.

I wouldn't worry so much about the oil type as I would of having him check it regularly.

Relax. He knows to check it. He is actually very responsible for a kid his age. I just suspect that regular oil changes might not be high on his priority list. I'm just looking to give him and myself one less thing to worry about.

Thanks

5K intervals with conventional oil IMO.

If it does start consuming oil, I would think the conventional could possibly slow that consumption. But if it isnt consuming anything now, why change?

I would encourage him to at least check his oil though.

You had 18 years to teach him responsibility and how to maintain his vehicle. Growing up means mom and dad are not there to change your diapers anymore. Or maintain your car.

Sorry dad, but if this really is a concern of yours, you blew it.

If you are offering him any financial assistance, I would hold that over his head (no money for books, school, rent until you furnish proof that the oil was changed)

Conventional changes at a good local garage every 5K for the win.

M1 EP with Fram Ultra will be able to do 1 year OCI with expected mileage of 15k miles, need an extra quart or 2 in the trunk in case it needs top off between oil changes. Tell him to check oil level at least every few months.

Originally Posted By: garyb80
Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda

Relax. He knows to check it. He is actually very responsible for a kid his age. I just suspect that regular oil changes might not be high on his priority list. I'm just looking to give him and myself one less thing to worry about.

Thanks

Granted, I'm not in your position and I could well be wrong, but as part of his education I would think that learning to keep up with the responsibilities of life and car ownership would be an important factor. If you're giving him the car, why not give him the responsibility of taking care of it as well? Surely he can either take it to a reputable shop a few times a year, or find the time to change it himself?

I'd keep using what you've already been using since the car seems to do well with it. Stay on the same OCI when possible, if you go a little over, no big deal. Give him a top off quart and a funnel for the trunk and remind him to check the level every now and then. Keeping it topped off is more important than changing it IMO.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You had 18 years to teach him responsibility and how to maintain his vehicle. Growing up means mom and dad are not there to change your diapers anymore. Or maintain your car.

Sorry dad, but if this really is a concern of yours, you blew it.

Wow, I ask for input on an extended oil change combo and get advice on child rearing.

Thanks for your input, but I think I'll consult other sources when it comes to that subject.

I would stick with what you were using. You did not mention which Fram but I would go with the Ultra.Give some extra oil and instruct how to check fluids.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back