Best oci 2020 impreza

Hi I was just wondering if changing the oil every 4-4.5k miles with the cheapest 0w20 (supertech) would prolonging the life of the engine more or would using something better like Pennzoil ultra platinum and changing every 6-7k be better, I do about 95% city driving with average trips being 2-15 miles, also looking for a filter recommendation. Thank you.

I have the same engine in my 19 crosstrek and wife does 1-4 miles daily. S/B no problem going 5k miles with good oil and good filter. Right now I have pennzoil pp 5w30 and M1 filter in the car. On deck is Pennzoil pp 0w20 and Filter will stay on.

Hi I was just wondering if changing the oil every 4-4.5k miles with the cheapest 0w20 (supertech) would prolonging the life of the engine more or would using something better like Pennzoil ultra platinum and changing every 6-7k be better, I do about 95% city driving with average trips being 2-15 miles, also looking for a filter recommendation. Thank you.

You're new here, so it's understandable that you may not realize that what you seek is not going to be found.

There's no one here that can say with any certainty that one of those two choices (or some other combo at some other interval) is going to be "best". No one here has the time/money to do a long comparative UOA study which would give reasonable indications of "best". Further, you're not likely to be willing to endure the costs and delays associated with repetitive engine tear-down analysis. (Both those methodologies have pros/cons, by the way; and neither of them is "best" .... but I digress ...)

What you're likely to find here is a bunch of opinions which have little to no proof other than anecdotal storyline evidence. Do this ... Don't do that ... etc ...

Doing basic, consistent maintenance with a decent lube and filter is going to "prolong the life of the engine". Or, more accurately, just don't abuse the engine and ignore the maintenance plan. Other than that, don't sweat the small stuff; it's a nuance that just can't be proven to any assurable degree.

All we can tell you based on this info is:
Follow the owners manual if you have one/find one online to find the oil change intervals and type of oil.

What I'll say is:
If you want to do a used oil analysis, that can tell you things like fuel dilution and viscosity after xxxx amount of miles. Boxer engines do tend to fuel dilute some. Short driving and city (traffic/idling) also increases amount of fuel dilution. Fuel dilution results in thinner viscosity. So, I'd opt to do shorter OCI (3-4k miles) until you get some data with used oil analysis.

Most API SP/ILSAC GF6A oils and oem filter will suffice for "normal" driving with reasonable (not long) pil change intervals.

I know this is going to sound crazy but because you are doing so many short trips, it looks like the engineers at Subaru recommend 3K intervals. Given the fuel dilution concerns on that motor, I’d go with the engineers’ recommendation on this one.

It also looks like they want to be pretty aggressive on the CVT fluid changes for city driving as well; every 25K or so.

Source:
1714903534188.jpg

1714903575000.jpg

Back