Best Navigation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
epolk - exactly. Also, my hope is that a good nav system will help me fulfil the number one rule in saving gas - drive less.

With gas prices going out of control, I need all the help I can get.

Obviously there are significant, numerous other advantages, which is why I want one. I spend a lot of time 'adventuring' with my 3 kids, often leaving the house with only a tentative destination in mind, etc. I live a very spontaneous lifestyle. We may go to Santa Monica's Pier or Zion NP, depending on our mood, or both. A map won't give you ATMs, non-fast food resteraunts, urgent care centers... it's amazing how some things seem to be everywhere until you actually need one.

quote:

Originally posted by totttalled:
epolk - exactly. Also, my hope is that a good nav system will help me fulfil the number one rule in saving gas - drive less.

That will take discipline. Let me assure you from experiance that with the nav system you will be noticing the presence of roads you didn't know were there. If you can resist their siren call, you -might- save gas.

The only unit I have used was in an Acura TSX. Pretty amazing. Voice command and took less than half a second to tell us where the nearest gas station was. An eighth of a mile away!

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:
OnStar has a new navigation system coming out shortly that's second to none in terms of ease of use. I don't know if this information is public yet, so I'll refrain from giving too much away, but all you do is press the blue OnStar button, say "directions" when prompted, then speak the place name (McDonalds) or address if you have it. The directions come over the speakers as you approach milestones, such as intersections, freeway ramps, etc. It's all extremely easy and natural to use and the voice recognition rate is very high. I've driven it several times and it beats the pants off any screen-based nav system.

Just an update: certain 2007 models have this capability already. This web page has a drop down box at the bottom so you can check which cars have that feature. The automated voice interface is not available, but the advisors will look up a route for you and download it to the vehicle.

A good friend of mine is a private investigator and used a Magelan 700/760 GPS. The number change corrosponds the the latest upgrade Im told.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back