Best method of collecting a sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering what is the best way to collect a sample. I have a stock 5.3L in an 02 Silverado. Is it possible to run a tube down the dipstick and pull oil out that way. Of course I understand that the engine has to be fully warmed up and at operating temp. I figure I would collect it right after my trip home form work which is a 20 mile highway run. Should be good and hot by then. Don't plan on draining the oil but want to collect a sample to see how things are holding up. I currently have 25k on it now with 3k on the oil. This will be my first sample. I'm sorry for waiting so long but money is tight with a new house and all. I really want to see how the engine is holding up. I figure I can run a tube down the dipstick and pull out some oil with my brake bleeder, just making sure that I use a clean tube and catch can. Does this sound right?

Thanks

patriot.gif

Yes, I do this all the time but some tubes have difficulty getting all the way down into some dipstick tubes. I have now replaced all of the drain plugs with fumoto valves which makes drawing a sample and or draining the oil much easier

Can't you just drain all the oil out and take the sample from the oil pan/bucket the oil drains into?

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Can't you just drain all the oil out and take the sample from the oil pan/bucket the oil drains into?

No, as there will be contamination for sure. It's best to collect the sample from the stream of oil, into a super clean sample bottle and then very quickly close it up.

I don't think my sample is free of contaminants. I accidently droped the bottle and had to add oil from the bottle of Tide I was using to store the used oil in. I think I botched it up so who knows what it will show. Is it still worth sending off? This is what I get for attempting this in the cold. I was rushing to get done. The Tide bottle had nothing in it, but I'm sure there was some small amounts of it in there. I'd say 80% was a good sample.
pat.gif

Honestly, I'd have to say that sample is pooched. For sure there will be Tide in there, unless you really cleaned out that sucker well.
frown.gif

Oh well, I guess I'll have to try the M1 0w-30.
frown.gif

Will they be able to get anything out of it? I still can't believe how stupid I was to do this. I was rushing way toooo much.
mad.gif

[ February 05, 2003, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

My first ever posting to this site was just minutes ago, I have a pertinant story. My sample was in my garage over a month before it went to the lab, and it was in an old plastic milk jug. I explained that the jug was rinsed and then left in such a way that the water would evaporate yet there would be no dust. The lab tech basicly said 'long as I know all that' and will be testing it, the 10-month-old oil is et for over $100 in tests, too. It would be nice to say 'forget it' on any of several reasons, but the more I know about those lab techies, what they go through to get their jobs, and the field of tribology, the more I am VERY hesitant to second-guess them.
Anyway, I just joined, never heard of Schaeffer's, have limited bio info on Bob, and have bought both RedLine and Amsoil, I guess I'm reallt wading in on the eternal debate!
Cheers!
Rob

Well, maybe it will work then. I'll send a note with it. Thanks and
welcome.gif

Buster, I'd do it. The chemistry may look strange but your wear numbers should be accurate.

Was it Tide with Bleach? The tech will thank you if he spills any on his labcoat.
grin.gif

David

No, it was just Tide....I made a note to let them know of this so maybe they can work around it. I'd say only 30% was from the Tide bottle. The other amount should be ok. Thanks.
smile.gif

They will be amazed at Amsoil's detergency!
lol.gif

[ February 05, 2003, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

The viscosity and TBN might be all out of whack though, and who knows if Tide uses any of the same stuff in their detergents that come in oil (such as perhaps calcium or magnesium?)

I guess it won't hurt to send it but I would think the results will look strange.

Terry or George, what are your thoughts on this analysis?

Yes, you're right. Wear metals alone probably aren't important unless he's tracking an existing problem. I suppose part of this learning has me eager to see any analysis, even if only for the effects of contamination.

Buster, I've changed my mind. Unless maybe you're burning some of those cheap kits.
smile.gif

BTW, I would have sent a partial sample without the added tide-effect. As I understand it, labs only use half or less of our samples for the tests. The rest is retained briefly in case a re-test is required. Sending 70% would give them at least one shot without contamination.

quote:

I don't think my sample is free of contaminants. I accidently droped the bottle and had to add oil from the bottle of Tide I was using to store the used oil in. I think I botched it up so who knows what it will show. Is it still worth sending off? This is what I get for attempting this in the cold. I was rushing to get done. The Tide bottle had nothing in it, but I'm sure there was some small amounts of it in there. I'd say 80% was a good sample.
pat.gif

Right on, Buster Keaton!

quote:

Oh well, I guess I'll have to try the M1 0w-30.
frown.gif

Will they be able to get anything out of it? I still can't believe how stupid I was to do this. I was rushing way toooo much.
mad.gif

Beware of mixing oils toooo much, especially if you're currently using S2000! Despite all the chemical investigation you provide, there are serious ramifications of mixing certain synthetic oils. Slow down! There's more to a car than its oil, Keaton!

Who is buster keaton? I never heard it was bad to switch back and forth with synthetics.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by OneQuartLow:

Buster, I've changed my mind. Unless maybe you're burning some of those cheap kits.
smile.gif

I for one am unsure what you are referring to

BTW, I would have sent a partial sample without the added tide-effect.

Har-har-har...Hey, why to Eskimos wash their clothes in Tide?

Because it's too cold out-tide
offtopic.gif
pat.gif
canada.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back