Best H.I.D. kit that doesn't cost big $

Status
Not open for further replies.
had my DDMtuning HID 55w 4300k lights for 18 months or so with no issues. At teh time there were limited instructions and their e-mail response was poor and phone support was a bit suspect. That saisaid, teh product seems as stated.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I think your reply would carry lot more weight if you were to explain why you think this kit is garbage. At least say something like "it is priced dirt cheap, so it must be garbage" :)

- Vikas

Because the idea of putting HID into housings they do not belong is just that garbage plus buying subpar kits like that force the good stuff (Phillips, Osram) to go up in price.

Why does "the good stuff" go up in price? Is it because "the bad stuff" is being sold cheap? Would you like to try explaining the economics?

For crying out loud, the entire kit costs less than a pair of incandescent bulbs!

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Originally Posted By: Vikas
I think your reply would carry lot more weight if you were to explain why you think this kit is garbage. At least say something like "it is priced dirt cheap, so it must be garbage" :)

- Vikas

Because the idea of putting HID into housings they do not belong is just that garbage plus buying subpar kits like that force the good stuff (Phillips, Osram) to go up in price.

I am not so sure the quality of HID kits are low. It seems as if mass production of components and the marketplace has lowered the price.

I agree that most housings are not workable with HIDs. My explorer will not work well (scatters light everywhere)while my BMW with projector housings has worked very well.

Places sell those kits because they are looking to make money quick, quality is of no concern.

Most of the stuff comes from Asia and are unreliable.

Vikas - exactly, that is what they want.

"Why buy halogens when you blind oncoming drivers for less!"

Last edited:
How much are you looking to spend? I went to a junk yard and found a rear-end totaled Audi A4. I took out the balast, wiring, projectors etc out of the car and it cost me all of $30. I retrofitted it in the e-codes of my Corrado and they worked great. I had to do some custom wiring - but it's not bad. You could at least wander over to a local junk yard and see if there are any cars with HIDs you can pull from. they may be better quality then something you would get as a "drop-in HID kit"

What does impress me is that how they can sell that kit for $30 and still make profit. I have handled the ddmtuning kit and I was impressed with the overall construction. As I said in the past, if I were to buy the locking connectors in typical autoparts store, I would spend lot more than $30, never mind the silcon wires. Without knowing the price, I would have thought that the kit had to be priced well in excess of $100.

The sad part is that there are people who would claim that the quality is great if the same kit were to be sold for $200.

Since I have got reflector headlamps, I will not be taking advantage of ddmtuning kits but if I had projector headlamps, I would not hesitate to jump on the deal.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: freeze12
The HID kits at this site are priced great and an auto. forum I belong to has a lot of positive reviews regarding their ahid kits.Here is the link....

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

Absolute garbage!!!

I have 2 of their HID kit's & they are great!Good..I hope it forces the big company's like Osram & Sylvania to drop their over priced product's!I live in a VERY strict Police enforced suburb that will give You a ticket for sneezing & I never once had gotten stopped for these HID's..So something has to be right!For You to say that they are garbage is a foolish statement.If You do not like HID's well then good for You..who really cares though as you posted like a grumpy old Man who is mad at the world!
I posted because the price's are terrific & so are the kit's as I can see by other post's after mine.All I am trying do do is help.

No I am grumpy driver who does like to be blinded by individuals such as yourself trying to sidestep motor vehicle code.

HID's are great when in the headlights they were designed for. You have no argument so don't bother.

No I am grumpy driver who does like to be blinded by individuals such as yourself trying to sidestep motor vehicle code.

HID's are great when in the headlights they were designed for. You have no argument so don't bother.

My HID lights seem to work fine with projector lens. Note that I made sure they were adjusted correctly. I got flashing lights from oncoming drivers at first. I did not realize my old lights were aimed high. Lesson learned. Headlight alignment is much more critial when aftermarket HIDS are installed. Actually sort of a DUH :)

Projector lenses yes...reflectors no, even the HID designed reflectors still suck.

At least with your BMW you could get e-codes.

I could get factory reflector HID's for the Forester but IMO not worth it if they are not projectors.

Most of the stuff comes from Asia and are unreliable.

Funny statement, considering both of your cars are made in "Asia".

I've had my DDM kit for over 3 years on my Mazda 3, no issues at all. I use my lights at least 5 nights a week for 1-2 hours a night, so they have been put through the paces. All you old men can rock out with your halogen bulbs with cheap GM reflector housings.

If you have decent projectors, aim the headlight accordingly, and run successful test runs with other cars at night, go ahead and use HID's. I've never been flashed once. Just because some fool used HID's in his reflectors and blinds you, doesn't mean all HID users are the same way. I don't blame the kit, blame the moron who installed it in the wrong application.

If the application supports it, use the HID. Otherwise, get a good set of halogen bulbs and call it a day.

Knowing my Buick has a terrible beam pattern, I elected not to get HID's for it. Now my fiancee's Honda has a great beam pattern, with a well-defined cutoff. It would be a good candidate for a HID kit when her factory bulbs blow.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Knowing my Buick has a terrible beam pattern, I elected not to get HID's for it. Now my fiancee's Honda has a great beam pattern, with a well-defined cutoff. It would be a good candidate for a HID kit when her factory bulbs blow.

If the Honda has reflector housings, it WON'T be a good candidate. It has a good cut-off with HALOGEN lamps. That's because the halogen filament is extremely small, and brightest in the center. Essentially, it's a point source around which the entire reflector is designed.

An arc-filament lamp (HID) is very different. The "filament" is much longer, physically, and the brightest areas are at the ends, not at the center. You essentially have two extremely bright hot spots that aren't in the "center" of the reflector. This is why HIDs produce so much glare in reflector housings: the light source isn't where it's supposed to be.

If the Honda uses HB4 (9006) bulbs, the best thing you can do is upgrade to HIR2 bulbs. They put out almost double the lumens. Technically, this "mod" is illegal, just like an HID retrofit, because the bulb used is not the intended bulb. But the difference here is the optics of the lamp aren't changed, because the source of light is from the exact same place as the original bulb. The HIR2 and HB4 bulbs both have the filament in the exact same location, in 3D space. So it's a much safer option, and still gives you a very noticeable increase in forward lighting.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

If the Honda uses HB4 (9006) bulbs, the best thing you can do is upgrade to HIR2 bulbs. They put out almost double the lumens. Technically, this "mod" is illegal, just like an HID retrofit, because the bulb used is not the intended bulb. But the difference here is the optics of the lamp aren't changed, because the source of light is from the exact same place as the original bulb. The HIR2 and HB4 bulbs both have the filament in the exact same location, in 3D space. So it's a much safer option, and still gives you a very noticeable increase in forward lighting.

But, but, the light isn't "blue" enough for me...I wanna be ...kewl!!!!!!
06.gif

You'd think on this site that folks would be paying attention to detail, instead you got people only caring about wanting to be "cool" instead of "smart" . Shame to see that people have become so darn dumbed down over the past decade or so.

FWIW, I am a big fan of the HIR2 bulbs in my Buick. The amount of light they put out is enough to illuminate very far down the road. And, they cut through rain and fog better than any bulb I've used yet in any car. Highly recommended.

Originally Posted By: 5150ds

Funny statement, considering both of your cars are made in "Asia".

That is so awesome of you to take it out of context like that.

HAHA
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Actually the SUVlight place has quality Bosch relays, I am surprised they seem shady. I just googled wiring harness and got a bunch of places. What about here: http://www.rallylights.com/SMS_Custom_Wiring_Harnesses.aspx

I got a bad product from Susquehanna/Rallylights. I bought a wiring harness for my Toyota with Toyota's switched negative wiring scheme. The harness was designed completely wrong. I was able to re-design the harness to work, and it works well now. Susquehanna's harness was for a certain Toyota model that needed resistance in the circuit to make the high beam indicator work--not my model. Susquehanna didn't take responsibility saying something like they were just selling the harness made by some guy who worked in their warehouse or swept their floors or something. It was top quality parts.

I've bought bulbs from suvlights.com over the years with good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back