Nissan intelligent key system fault

One of my fobs died in my 2017 Titan. The closest Nissan dealer quoted $425 for a fob plus $169 for programming. Instead I bought a remote start kit with two new fobs for $150 and paid a locksmith $60 to program the new remotes.

The remote start kit includes a new hood latch with a sensor (switch) that plugs into the preexisting wiring harness. The purpose is to verify the hood is closed so it can’t accidentally start it while someone has their hands inside the engine bay. I didn’t install the new latch because I wanted to make sure the remotes would work and also because I wanted to know I could get someone to do it. I really don’t care about having remote start, I just wanted working fobs.

After programming the new fobs and the old one work, but now the key light is illuminated on the dash. It‘s solid, not flashing and maybe it’s yellow? I thought it was green but the manual says this light illuminates in yellow when there’s a problem with the intelligent key system. Like I said, everything seems to work fine. the locksmith has no idea why light is on. I haven’t tried to attempt remote start because I assumed it wouldn’t work since the switch isn’t installed.

Is it possible the fault the system is indicating is the missing switch? Or, since the connection is permanently open maybe the fault is that it thinks the hood is open?

I'm guessing there was some type of a plug and play module for this remote start system, something custom for this specific vehicle? If so it's highly likely the light is illuminated due to the missing hood switch.

I'm guessing there was some type of a plug and play module for this remote start system, something custom for this specific vehicle? If so it's highly likely the light is illuminated due to the missing hood switch.
I forgot to mention the remote kit is a Nissan accessory, not third party. I think the latch component is just a switch, not any sort of chip.

I forgot to mention the remote kit is a Nissan accessory, not third party. I think the latch component is just a switch, not any sort of chip.
It's just a latch check switch . Think of it as a 0 or a I in the computer logic for the remote start function . Plug the switch into the wiring harness and manipulate the contact to see if the light changes .

Back