Best Guitar Solo

Status
Not open for further replies.
So which is it? My top 5:

1. David Gilmour's solo in Comfortably Numb
2. Prince's solo in Let's Go Crazy
3. Pretty much anything from Yngwie Malmsteen with a nod to Evil Eye.
4. Some of the early Bluesbrakers solos from Eric Clapton
5. Pretty much anything from Mark Knopfler, but I'm a sucker for the song Private Investigations or the solo in Sultans of Swing.

Let the games begin.

Man I have too many faves to list!!!!!! There`s a couple that have always stood out to me,especially seeing how old the recordings are........using no effects or synthesis,just straight raw guitar playing:

The Ugly Ducklings "Just In Case You Wonder",from 1966

The Hello People "Sunrise Meadow" from 1968 (guy does a killer bass guitar solo in the middle of the song)

Definitely agree with your #1 and #5- Love the Gilmour solo in Comfortably Numb, and agree, almost anything by Knopfler, specifically Sultans Of Swing...

Have to say, I'd take the guitar part (entire song) of Young Lust as my favorite Gilmour work that comes to mind...that's just my opinion. He makes it sound so simple, and that sound is unequalled in its execution. Powerful and edgy, yet somehow classy. I'd be hard pressed to pick a better Fender player.

SRV is great too.

HMMMM well lets see

Tom Morrello from rage against the machine, lots of songs to choose from

Carlos Santanna, Soul Sacrifice

Originally Posted By: gmchevroletruck

Have to say, I'd take the guitar part (entire song) of Young Lust as my favorite Gilmour work that comes to mind...that's just my opinion. He makes it sound so simple, and that sound is unequalled in its execution. Powerful and edgy, yet somehow classy. I'd be hard pressed to pick a better Fender player. SRV is great too.

Yeah, Young Lust is a fantastic bit of guitar playing for sure. Gilmour isn't the fastest or the most technical guitar player, but he just seems to be able to pull it all together in a way that's soulful.

Wait wait wait!!! (lol) have to add this...

Sure, it's overplayed to death by now, but as a guitar work, it can't be ignored...The entire guitar part (and solo, which has a different guitar part in each speaker), in Money For Nothing (album version). I rarely listen to that song anymore, but everytime I do, it's fantastic. Excellent work on that. He oughtta be famous.

In 1977, it took Eddie Van Halen 1:47 to change the world. Not many guitar-based musicians still alive can say that. Considering the current direction of rock music, EVH may very well be the last true rock guitar innovator.

I'd add Clapton's "Hideaway" to my top 3 Best Solo list.

**** Dale's "Miserlou" is worthy of a great deal more respect that he gets. Sad, really. Here's a man who literally created a new musical genre, a new art form, and he seems to be universally ignored.

Clapton's solo work on "Crossroads" is fabulous. I wish he'd find that fire and intensity again and show everybody how it's done.

I watch the video of "Stairway To Heaven" all the time because Jimmy Page's work is so moving. I think its their MSG performance from 1975. The entire song is an amazing journey with Page putting the listener into orbit.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Talent without electricity. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Igb5Yors4&NR=1

This is true.

I'll also say that Mark Knopfler's solo on Brother's in Arms and Jimmy Page's on Thank You always move me.
And though it's short, the solo on Baker Street, by Gerry Rafferty (Played by Hugh Burns) is excellent, though Raphael Ravenscroft's sax is what most people remember best.
Also have to mention Jeff Baxter's solo on Steely Dan's Rikki Don't Lose That Number, as well as The solo on Main Street--I think Pete Carr played this.
There are more, but I'm too tired.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Man I have too many faves to list!!!!!! There`s a couple that have always stood out to me,especially seeing how old the recordings are........using no effects or synthesis,just straight raw guitar playing:

The Ugly Ducklings "Just In Case You Wonder",from 1966

The Hello People "Sunrise Meadow" from 1968 (guy does a killer bass guitar solo in the middle of the song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsYGAL1vTJs

Listen to that KILLER guitar work at about 1:17 into the video! Pretty impressive considering how old the recording is. They got the date wrong though. It`s from 1966 and not 1967.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
In 1977, it took Eddie Van Halen 1:47 to change the world. Not many guitar-based musicians still alive can say that. Considering the current direction of rock music, EVH may very well be the last true rock guitar innovator.

I'd add Clapton's "Hideaway" to my top 3 Best Solo list.

**** Dale's "Miserlou" is worthy of a great deal more respect that he gets. Sad, really. Here's a man who literally created a new musical genre, a new art form, and he seems to be universally ignored.

Clapton's solo work on "Crossroads" is fabulous. I wish he'd find that fire and intensity again and show everybody how it's done.

I watch the video of "Stairway To Heaven" all the time because Jimmy Page's work is so moving. I think its their MSG performance from 1975. The entire song is an amazing journey with Page putting the listener into orbit.

Amen, brother, amen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back