best gas stablizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best gas stabilizer? I just ran out of my regular red Sta-bil and thinking what to buy next. I notice that Star Tron promotes it will treat more gasoline per bottle than Sta-bil and also hold it longer. Sta-bil also has its 360 as well, as well as marine 360. Star tron has product with a higher concentrate. Now, I know there are others what there. Ethanol Shield, you name it. Which one best for small gas engines.

blue marine Stabil for OPE gas.

For whole tanks in cars or boats, Startron.

E0 gas is also good for OPE. Not hard to find a station in NY that sells E0. Usually the E0 is premium.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
I use red sta-bil but thinking about switching to startron when my sta-bil is finished.

Why? I'm sure Startron is good, but I've used red Sta-bil for decades in all my gas cans for small engines, as well as boat gas tanks, and never had a problem. It does what it is supposed to do.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Originally Posted by Oildudeny
I use red sta-bil but thinking about switching to startron when my sta-bil is finished.

Why? I'm sure Startron is good, but I've used red Sta-bil for decades in all my gas cans for small engines, as well as boat gas tanks, and never had a problem. It does what it is supposed to do.

No reasonable reason but to say I tried something else.. I have heard and read good things about it. But yes you're right if you got something working for you leave it alone.

Personally I prefer STA-BIL 360 Marine (aka the blue stuff,) but your mileage may vary. From what I gather it has components with a higher vapor pressure, essentially keeping a positive pressure on your fuel tank. If that is correct, then less water vapor can get in the tank to mingle with that nasty Ethanol. It all sounds good in theory...

I have been using this product for two years now, having previously used the "red stuff." I have not bothered to drain any tanks in those two years, yet everything seems to start pretty easily in the Spring. From what I can recall, starting fluid became obsolete once I started using STA-BIL of either color. Did I mention that your mileage may vary?

I usually keep up to 25 gallons of gas on hand in a 30 gallon oil drum with a pump on it for my various OPE needs.. When I take it to town and fill it, I dump in a couple of bottles of Amsoil's Quickshot. Multiple benefits along with stabilizing the gas. That is all I use year round.

Not sure why stabil recomends their product to be used before two years. We have some that is three years old and will continue using until gone or it changes in some way. Also add two oz of MMO per five gallons for the air cooled engines. On the ones bought new we never see the dreaded silvery OC.

I really have not seen any difference from brand to brand over the years, just any brand seems to work better than no stabilizer at all. I have used Sta-Bil, Star tron, STP, Lucas and some others.

Today, I was shopping at a store that had 20% off everything. I was able to get 8 oz. Stabil 360 Marine at a decent price although it didn't say with vapor technology on the label. I checked the date code, and was made Oct. 2018, so that is not unreasonable. Interestingly enough, I figured that oz. per oz. the marine stuff cost more, but it can treat a lot more gas too, which makes it actually cheaper to use over the red stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back