Best Fuel System Cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are various posts by a user called Trav, who cleans injectors for a living.
For carbon buildup he recommends Gumout, Redline and Techron (possibly a few others) due to the high concentration of PEA.
If you have a varnish issue follow up with a bottle of Chemtools in a few tanks time.

He recommends Top Tier fuel as a preventative.

The ChrisFix videos referenced are focused on post combustion piston top cleanliness. Which only tells you which one flashes off the least. Seafoam fared the best in the combustion chamber, because its mostly oil. The ones that are mostly cleaners flash off before they can do anything. But thats better for the catalyst. His tests don't include Fuel pump, sender, water dispersal, fuel injector cleaning, etc. While i like ChrisFix, I don't think that test tells you the whole picture.

I just fill up the tank about twice per year, usually once in summer and once in winter with top tier gasoline and call it good. Adding a bottle of off the shelf cleaner is probably not going to improve it any. Top tier gas already has all the PEA type cleaners/detergents in it that a vehicle needs and even non top tier has enough detergents in it for a fuel system to stay clean.

I tend to stick with naphata based products (supertech gas treatment & fuel injector cleaner) or lucas upper cylinder lube/injector cleaner; I tried Techron twice in a Honda Shadow 750 I used to own...shortly after that I had a steady leak from the petcock & had to buy a replacement and pay to get it fixed! that particular petcock was riveted together so no chance to rebuild it...nearly $150 for the part! can't say for certain that PEA caused the leak yet haven't had any other bike or scoot have leaks since then...

I have the OTC kit and fluid that is injected into the fuel pressure test port using a compressor for pressure. It is a very strong solvent. You disable the fuel pump and run the engine off the cleaner until it runs out and stalls. It is the best way to clean injectors without taking them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back