Best flowing oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
BYpass the filter entirely, see if you notice the difference. Only the LAST VW bugs HAD a filter at all. Many went a LONG way.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
BYpass the filter entirely, see if you notice the difference. Only the LAST VW bugs HAD a filter at all. Many went a LONG way.

Yeah, with 2000 mile oil changes!

And a "long way" for an air cooled VW was 75K miles.

I rebuilt hundreds of them in the '70s and early '80s. I didn't really make too much note at the time, because it was normal for the situation, but when you tore them down, the bearings were always nasty... embedded with lots of junk and badly worn. The VW engines that lived the longest lives were well maintained ones that didn't drive long distances and lived in a cool climate.

Originally Posted By: nicholas
I just wanted a few suggestions for filters that people figured would be "hi-flow" - I did not want to justify my intentions

People are going to ask you to do so if they read something that makes no logical sense. I think your original post certainly qualifies.

No logical sense - I was asking a question about the best/highest flowing filter on the market. Not why I needed it or if this would be a good idea?

According to this link - http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1521645 -

My original question makes perfect and logical sense. If you have nothing to add to the thread, other than your negative opinion, stay out. BITOG will be a better place.

Originally Posted By: nicholas
My original question makes perfect and logical sense. If you have nothing to add to the thread, other than your negative opinion, stay out. BITOG will be a better place.

'Negative opinion'? What the [censored] are you talking about? You posted "I am looking to find the best flowing filter on the market right now. My car is a 08 nissan versa" and I can guarantee that every BITOG'er that read that scratched their head, made a face, and asked 'what the heck does he need that for'. It's not just me. I'm telling you why posters wanted an explanation. That wasn't a personal attack so calm down.

You asked an odd question. People wanted more info. You didn't understand why you needed to provide it. I explained why. You overreact and invite me to leave the site. Thanks, but no.

Your engine will never know the difference, and you won't either if you put a decent quality brand name filter on it. Those filters will flow anything that engine can put out, and you won't know the difference. I've used 4 different brand filters on my Vette (that has way more oil pump volume than your car) which has a nice built-in digital oil pressure gauge, and I can't see any difference in oil pressure under the same conditions at near red-line (when the pump is in bypass/pressure relief mode). So that means there is no noticeable difference in flow between all those oil filters.

ugh - This site is about trying for yourself - my point is - I asked a simple question for my own reasons, not really looking for a debate.

Well, I guess if someone says that I will not notice a difference I should just give up and not try for my self - c'mon.

You were given the answer ... any top tier, brand name filter will flow many times more than that engine will need. Purolator, WIX, NAPA Gold, K&N, FRAM Ultra ... take your pick.

I believe an answer was given as to at least one filter that favors flow over filtration, that being the Toyota OEM and by default, other no endcap type oil filters like the Toyota.

This was also first shown in river_rat's excellent (imo) filtration study that was posted here. The summary of his findings regarding filtration and flow can be found in the link below. While perhaps not the best, it will give you a relative comparison of flow in the oil filters tested.

All that said, I agree with the majority that oil filter flow concern/considerations in pc use is irrelevant. Considering the engine is ~15x more restrictive than the oil filter, it's not a concern.

Filtration Comparison Summary Page

If it was my car (08 nissan versa 1.8 engine), I'd just slap a PureOne on it and sleep good at night. There ya go ... get a PureOne. If a medium sized PureOne can flow 12 GPM of hot oil in a 400 HP LS6 Vette engine, these PureOnes for the Nissan can certainly flow any amount of oil the oil pump on that 4-cyl can put out at red-line all day long.

PL14612
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/reso...a&year=2008

Note - If there is room for it, you can use the ~ 1/2" longer PL14610 (instead of the PL14612) as is done on other Nissan 4 and 6 cylinder engines.

PL14610
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/reso...a&year=2004

Some of the highest volume oil pumps only pump about 12 gallons a minute at 8500rpm. So basically all commercially available filters meet the need of the op since they would all exceed the output of the oil pump with regard to flow.

Edit: Didn't see your post above Zee, I basically said the same thing.

Last edited:
Hey 3311 ... did you see this thread? You'd probably find it interesting.
thumbsup2.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back