Best flashlight you’ve ever owned.

I been using the same 2 Maglites for close to 30 years.

Last edited:
In terms of light output if you are still using alkaline batteries in your flashlights you need to move into the modern times with lithium.

My overall favorite flashlight is my Emissar D4 which I've owned for 4 years now. It's cheap and bright as hell.

In terms of light output if you are still using alkaline batteries in your flashlights you need to move into the modern times with lithium.

My overall favorite flashlight is my Emissar D4 which I've owned for 4 years now. It's cheap and bright as hell.
Looks like that one uses some older LEDs. XP-L Hi and SST-20 are older versions. XHP50.2 and SST-40 are brighter. Brighter LEDs always seem to come out every few years. I think XHP50.2 is still brighter a little brighter than SST-40.

25 (?) year old SEARS Ultra Beam followed by the GIVERARE . Need to find a battery for the SEARS .

IMG_7433.JPG
IMG_7436.JPG
IMG_7434.JPG
IMG_7435.JPG
IMG_7440.JPG
IMG_7442.JPG

IMG_7413.JPG
IMG_7415.JPG
IMG_7416.JPG
IMG_7419.JPG

Last edited:
Favorites. I have had a D cell Mag Light, now with LED conversion and a Milspec Fulton angle head flashlight since the late 80's. The Mag Light is my household flashlight (that I keep in a special spot so it doesn't get borrowed for trick or treating or whatever) and the Fulton is my mandated emergency and general use light in the airplane; the rear clip is perfect for attaching to your shirt collar, pocket, jacket etc. to light up the panel is we lose power or illumination.

That said, the various Lowes Kobalt LED lights are pretty darn good for the $$, I keep one in each vehicle.

Seven years ago I bought a Streamlight Stinger. Oh my lord. Thought I was crazy to spend $115 dollars on a flashlight, but this thing has been worth every red cent. I’ve dropped this thing at least three times a week since I bought it...over 7 years that equals to 1,092 drops (and quite honestly it could be much more than that). The little on/off button is pressed be me at least 30 times a day, it hasn’t broken yet. No idea why. And my hands are usually covered with oil and grease. No damage to the rubber button. I accidentally hit it with a blow torch one day, it still works, and works great. I’ve had antifreeze poured directly on to it. Works great.

All I’ve done to it is replace the rechargeable battery (once after five years), for $15 bucks.
Well to the OP you are on a great path here but a bit behind the times. I literally live within walking distance of the streamlight company. It is huge and is well known in the first responder world all over. Yes extreme up front cost compared to other stuff however the big selling point to me is the LIFETIME WARRANY. Over 24 years I have purchased over 15 lights from them of all different types. The stinger that you mention was on my belt for over 15 in different forms first a standard bulb then changed over to LED. Now they have evolved in recent years to a much more compact strion series a brighter light which has a great USB charging version meaning no more looking for the stinger snap in charger I'm sure you have.

Again in the real world things get dropped, driven over, etc all the time. Streamlight allows me to literally walk up to a window drop my broken light with a simple form and they do a complete rebuild on it from cap to lense. I feared that COVID would end this forever and again was shocked when they put a outside drop box and then started just fixing your light and mailing it back to you for FREE!! I have only ever paid for a battery replacement on some models, on some they warranty that also.
Even if nothing appears wrong with your light the lense, switch etc are getting worn, if you have a chance some time to be on vacation etc send them your light and they will give it an update for you. Ive had the worn, nicked up aluminum barrels replaced by them even without asking.

Years ago I had a basic cheap flashlight that I though was really great. Junk but great.

It was a solar one and I got like 6 years out of it before the switch failed.

The reason I liked it was i stored it on my window sill and when the power went out it was ready to rock and roll and once charged actually lasted for hours.

nitecore E4K is my current favorite. on sale right now for $$67 for cyber monday.

Code NCSMONDAY

Comes with a good 5000MAH 21700 size battery that you charge with a usb C cord. (about 25$ value)

This is a compact flashlight fits in pocket fine.. not super tiny. and has a little heft to it.

A grey, Marine Corps issue, L shaped flashlight with red lens. One moonless, lights out, night with water smooth as glass, where the sky and and water blended perfectly, it kept me from walking off the end of the Indy.
Hence, it is the best ever made!

Back