LED Portable Light Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about using this thread as a location to post reviews of LED Flashlights ,Spotlights, Lanterns, & Trouble-Light, that are currently available.

LEDs have improved over the years, and the recent generation of LEDs are being used in many lights. The price has come down, the performance (number of Lumens, real reliability in the hours they last, and reduced battery drain (improved battery life)) have all improved. The variables that now exist are:

1) Manufacturer.

2) Light output, include multiple settings if applicable.

3) Type of Light, Lantern, Trouble-Light, Flashlight, SpotLight, (and Fixed or Variable focus).

4) Rechargeable vs. disposable battery, and TYPE, AND NUMBER OF CELLS. I prefer disposable Alkaline as rechargeable batteries go bad in a few years and cost much more to replace.
5) Run time (for each brightness setting if applicable).

6) Price and availability (where you purchased it).

7) Use, and over all impression.

Also please include any other information about LED portable lights you have that might be of help to others in making up there mind about what LED light to purchase.

My review of three LED lights are:

1) Streamlight 4 AA with 7 LEDs. I have purchased 3 of these. One for the car, and two I gave away. One owner had their 4 AA Streamlight brake three times. This light has a life-time warranty, and Batteries Plus fixes it for free. It is a nice little light when it works. Do not over-tighten the front on it. I purchased these at Batteries Plus years ago (I am not sure how much I paid for them but I think it was $24 each).

This light is a nice little light to have. It is a fixed focus. The batteries last a long time, and the light is enough to change fuses with or locate objects in a room, or trunk. This light seams to go bad if someone over-tightens the front on it. The springs to push the cells could be stronger.

2) Streamlight 3 C (alkaline disposable) with 10 LED's. I have one of these. It broke twice and was fixed under the life-time warranty.

I purchased this at Batteries Plus years ago (I am not sure how much I paid for it but I think it was about $32).

This light puts out 44 Lumens and is enough to light up a room or path in front of you enough that you can see all that is going on. The batteries last a very long time in this light.

It is good for looking under the hood or anywhere you require light within 20 feet of you. It is a fixed focus. The light it puts out fans out well for close distances use. I had a few of the LEDs stop working and the LED section was replaced by Batteries Plus for free. Then there was a problem with the switch or spring (I am not sure which) but Batteries Plus gave me whole new flashlight for free under the life-time warranty, and I did not even have the original receipt.

3) Black&Decker LED SPOTLIGHT 4 C cells (alkaline disposable), One LED (the newer small rectangular type). I just purchased this light about a week ago at Wal-Mart for $19.88 + tax. The package actually had dust on it, but the 4 Ray-O-Vac C cells that came with it tested full capacity, and work well.

This light has one of the new type small rectangle LEDs. One review on one site said be sure the LED is centered. I looked at all of the LEDs for each of these lights the store had and they all seamed close to center.

Wow, this light is powerful. It throws out a very focused light. The back of the package shows that it will cast light for 1102 FT. in the high mode, and 623 FT. in the low light mode. They really mean it. This light puts out 130 Lumens for 20 Hours in high mode and it will light up an area the size of a large tree or roof of large house at a distance of 1100 FT. The light is very bright, and could easily be used to find a dock from a boat at night if you can get within 1000 FT. of shore. It is a good thing that this light has a lower level. In the high mode it is actually too bright to use in the high mode inside of a house, or when working on a car. In the low mode it puts out 40 Lumens for 78 hours. There is a very bright tightly focused center spot at close range. In the low setting there is enough light around the tight spot in the center to make it very usable for close range. And with 78 hours of battery life in the low setting you can use it to work on your car for several hours and not even make a significant dent in the battery life.

This light could have a wider spread of the light for close use, but it is still a very nice light to use in a garage with no electricity at night. There is a hole in the bottom of the handle for a Lanyard, and I use a thick old sock to keep it in so the lens does not get scratched when not in use. Do not over tighten the front when you put the batteries in it. I did and the threads jumped and later I found a thin black thread of plastic that apparently broke free, but the front still tightens down good and the O-ring still seats well.

This is a darn good light for the money. It is a little heavy in weight, but surprisingly powerful, and when they call it a SPOTLIGHT they are not kidding. It really will light up something at a distance. Darn good light. It is a fixed focus.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I noticed a Two pack of LED lights at Pep-Boys. This and a 3 AA light, and a 3 C light. The 3 C light did not have a powerful enough spring to cause the batteries to have good contact when pointed straight up. Do not get one of these.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what are the LED light that you fine to be a good light, for what application, and at what cost?

Last edited:
Wow, that is a lot of info... All I know is that my 4sevens tactical 123, 123^2, and 18650-modded lights are phenomenal - far brighter than my multi-d cell maglites!

I don't know, I'm pretty satisified with my Free LED flashlights from Harbor Freight. My not have the bragging rights of a $100 lite but you gotta admit the price is pretty low.

One of the "best" (rugged, very bright, always works, takes a beating) is the "plane-jane" 2 AA cell Maglight with the LED in it. Very bright, last a long time, and they work when you NEED them. Most of us at my Prison carry them for a reason. $20+ dollars if memory serves.
thumbsup2.gif

Forgot to add that almost every Walmart, K-Mart etc carries these. The "multi-led" flashlights rarely focus "well" and are not terribly bright, or throw-off a bluish-hue which distracts from clear vision. IMHO. for dependability , a well focusing beam, and bright light, in this size, you cant beat the 2AA cell MAG LED

funny i just found this thread after upgrading to a couple led lights, I got
1. the 2-aa maglight mentioned above and agree that it is a great light for the money, paid 21.95 at home depot, it is much brighter than my 2-c cell maglight and casts a beam just about as far.
2. the 2-d cell maglight is great and way,way, brighter than my old standard mag, 30.00 at home depot,I will use this to find my way out of some deep woods this fall and am confident it will be plenty of light.It cast a great white light at close range and spots out as far as my old mag but much brighter.
my only concern with led is that i spend a lot of time in the woods and dont want a failure in the middle of nowhere,that is why I liked the old lights, you could change a bulb, but you cant realy change an led in the field and they do fail,even if you carry a spare they cost as much as the flashlight. I will carry a small backup light for this reason.

Recently I found a Rayovac 3C 4 Watt flashlight that uses the Cree LED and puts out 150 Lumens. Radio-Shack sells it for $20.97 + tax, the Radio-Shack part no. is 61-237

It only has a 90 day warranty. I might get one of these soon.

2 cell AA maglite, used it at work, dropped it from heigh distacnes. Used it around the house and working on cars. I even use it to hammer out rused brake pads off the caliper lol.

Originally Posted By: defektes
2 cell AA maglite, used it at work, dropped it from heigh distacnes. Used it around the house and working on cars. I even use it to hammer out rused brake pads off the caliper lol.

Yep, we give em a good beating (the flashlights that is) here at work too on a regular basis..Dropped down stair wells, sent flying on to a polished concrete cell house floor, never had a MAG LED fail yet. They also make a 3 cell AA light which I am carrying now. Not really brighter than the 2 cell AA, but you do get more battery life out of the 3 cell, though it is a bit longer to carry.

I got a Stanley LED light that is rechargeable, on a stick kind of thing. Magnetic base and tilts to any angle. Has a flashing light switch on it. Been GREAT. Really bright and tough as nails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back