Best flashlight you’ve ever owned.

I use flashlights for my job a lot. I work in the automotive trade...I’m either pointing at things trying to show people how to remove it, or I’m using them for me to remove it. These things take a TON OF ABUSE. I know it’s not exactly I hot button topic of discussion but I’m interested in hearing about some great lights that are out there now.

I used to spend $20-30 bucks, on what I thought was a good flashlight, only to have it break in three months after a couple drops to the floor. But I think flashlights have come a long way since then.

Seven years ago I bought a Streamlight Stinger. Oh my lord. Thought I was crazy to spend $115 dollars on a flashlight, but this thing has been worth every red cent. I’ve dropped this thing at least three times a week since I bought it...over 7 years that equals to 1,092 drops (and quite honestly it could be much more than that). The little on/off button is pressed be me at least 30 times a day, it hasn’t broken yet. No idea why. And my hands are usually covered with oil and grease. No damage to the rubber button. I accidentally hit it with a blow torch one day, it still works, and works great. I’ve had antifreeze poured directly on to it. Works great.

All I’ve done to it is replace the rechargeable battery (once after five years), for $15 bucks.

Anyone have any great flashlights they’re using now?

I have a few old flashlights that I like with the old style bulbs.. Do they make a replacement LED bulb that would fit the old style flashlight with a traditional bulb??? Have not seen any at big box stores..

Super Bright LED’s dot com sells a few…

I have this one, in a three cell “D” Maglight…

Super Bright LED’s dot com sells a few…

I have this one, in a three cell “D” Maglight…

thanks

I have an Olight Seeker 2. Working on aircraft demands good lighting, and this thing rocks! I'll probably purchase the newer version of it. It is a professional grade flashlight. On "turbo" it compares well with my truck's high beams. I stick it out-the-window and am amazed at just how well it illuminates the road ahead.

I own a lot of Zebralights. Current favorite is a 700Fd, which has a frosted lens, max output 2910 lumens. I've found, over the years, that what I really need is illumination within arm's length most of the time. I'll also switch to a headlamp. I notice I'll have the headlamp switched on far longer than the flashlight. I have to change out to recharge, and I find myself thinking "already?" with the headlamp.

I have a Maglite that I bought back in the eighties. Still works. It’s the 3 D size. The only thing I’ve done to it is change from incandescent bulbs to LED about ten years ago or so.
I have the same era flashlight in the Sears Craftsman flavor. (y)

Can’t go wrong with any of the variations of the Stinger. Used and abused them for years and not one of them ever let me down. Had a Maglite while overseas many years ago that held up well but can’t comment on their worthiness now.

In my professional career I carried a Streamlight Stinger HL 800 lumen light. They're pricey at over $100 but if you need a bright and durable light then they're hard to beat.

I suspect they have brighter lights than this now but it is the one that I have years of experience with and recommend.

Mini Maglite or Mini Streamlight for me. I’ve also got a little Coast pen light I bought too really nice. Was going to buy one of those Streamlight last week on the Snap-on truck but $98 for a little light 😳 better be made out of gold. The rechargeable ones were that price. I think the battery powered ones were like $55 or something but either way I almost fell over when I heard that price lol. I’m sure they can be found online cheaper. I’ve also got a little Milwaukee light I keep in my pocket I got for $19.99 at Rural King in the summertime and it’s lasted people always come up and grab it out of my pocket with oily or greasy hands and it just wipes right off I’ve also dropped it a few times. I also like that the mini Maglite come with a belt holster unlike the other ones.

And some more durable lights are those PrimeLite from Napa my parents bought me the three pack last year for Christmas one has a flexible neck the other two are traditional work lights I love those and won’t loan them out to anyone. Those are a good option too.

I went on a flashlight shopping rampage a few years back... ended up with over 30 different lights of various sizes, outputs, LEDs, and battery types. Probably the best one I got was Emisar D4S - quad XPL-HI emitters, about 4,000 lumen output, powered by a single 26650 Li-Ion cell. Lots of configuration with this one, but still simple enough to use as EDC.

The latter V2 is even more advanced.

31167370488_7f95287b63_b.jpg

I but the Costco 3 pack flashlights. Cheap and work like a champ.
The worst one was the big MagLite the bouncer at the club hit me over the head with when I was breaking up a fight. That was 30 years ago...

Back