Best filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MetalSlug
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Ford Performance FL-1A
I buy mine from the local Ford dealer for $15 bucks
As you stated on the Windsor engine the oil filter is in plain site so a good looking oil like this one would be perfect plus it's a great filter.

Fl1a ford racing come with silicone ADBv ?

Absolutely ðŸ‘
And a silicone gasket

Last edited:
Just make sure you crank the filter down extra hard on the mount. Silicone acts a bit different than nitrile or rubber. It's very slick and you may think it's tight, but it will also relax after a few heat cycles. I go back to mine after a few hundred miles and give them an extra little spin. Maybe 1/8 turn. Sometimes they are still tight and sometimes I get a little spin on them. The silicone is very heat resistant and pliable though.

Burst strength is 625 psi. It's about as high as spin on filters go, if not the highest. Fram HP1 I believe is 500, K&N 550, wix 51515R 500, so on and so forth. Seems silly and overkill but it translates to impact and puncture resistance as well.

If you can't already tell, I'm partial to the FRPP filter, though I will also use K&N. Not a big fan of the K&N HP-3001 lately though, as it seems they are all built a bit differently depending on age and country of manufacture. The K&N HP-1010 that I use on [censored] (funny that the shortened version of "Japanese" is censored) stuff always looks exactly the same. The HP-3001 does not. Some even have the bypass at opposite ends. Some dome, some base end. The Fram HP1 is very comparable to a dome end bypass K&N, and I would use one if I didn't care where my bypass was located, but alas, I am a stickler for a thread end bypass on Fords. The criteria for my Ford filters include;
-.020" shell
-silicone ADBV
-thread end bypass
-blend or synth media
-thick tapping plate

FRPP filter checks these boxes plus the silicone gasket. Cost doesn't matter to me, if anyone was wondering. I have a K&N screwed onto my Marauder at the moment, just to use it up since I sold the car it was going on. (Ford Freestyle) but have another FRPP 820S on deck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Mobil 1 will work just fine.
If you want to spend more, the only oil filters I'd personally consider would be:
Fram Ultra
Royal Purple
Amsoil

I have wondered why on a forum for oil filters where people are obviously interested in a good filter...
Why would any here not chose one of the above
33.gif

I like thick can oil filter when it come to high performing engine . Fram ultra can is very thin. Mobil 1 or royal purple have really thick can .

Fram ultra is good for daily drive and extent oil change . But when it come to high performing . High horse power . It's not for it .

I like thick can oil filter when it come to high performing engine . Fram ultra can is very thin. Mobil 1 or royal purple have really thick can .

Fram ultra is good for daily drive and extent oil change . But when it come to high performing . High horse power . It's not for it .

I agree.

Originally Posted by Al
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Mobil 1 will work just fine.
If you want to spend more, the only oil filters I'd personally consider would be:
Fram Ultra
Royal Purple
Amsoil

I have wondered why on a forum for oil filters where people are obviously interested in a good filter...
Why would any here not chose one of the above
33.gif

ðŸ‘...Ž Trust me I agree with you, there are a lot of strange decisions made here on these forums, but I just sit back and remember we all make our own decisions at the end of the day.

Only if such "high performance" engines have high flow and high pressure oil pumps. High HP doesn't mean they will have oil flow or oil pressure any different than some daily driver vehicle on road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back