Best filter period.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the facts are pretty clear. A good bypass filter system in addition to a normal full flow filter system will double your engine life.Valves, seals, piston rings, cams, lifters,bearings, and timing chains. This has all been tested to death on deisels. You say diesels are dirtier than gas engines? Look at the sump capacity of the diesels they test,12-24 gallons. They actually run diesels at considerably lower contamination levels than gasoline engines with their 4 quart sumps.I have been testing the Frantz bypass filters and reading all the SAE literature I can find. These things simply work. I have no idea why they are not more popular, or why I never heard of them before BITOG.

quote:

Originally posted by Nebraskan:
Work at a winery and run a centrifuge to clean up wine and juice. Runs maximum around 1000 gallons / hour. Basic problem you would have with an onboard oil centrifuge is that when it get's loaded it has to be "dumped" or it will become so solid it won't expel out of the ports. We have to watch that even with stuff like wine that there is not too long a delay between dumps elses you risk imbalancing the centrifuge. NOT good. When you have around 700 lbs of Stainless Steel spinning at some 5400 rpm, you don't want that getting away from you.

Mmmmmm...1000 Gallons of wine....
fruit.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Laminar Lou:
Mmmmmm...1000 Gallons of wine....
fruit.gif
[/QB]

That's a small tank. In fact several of the smaller tanks are in the 1222 to 1288 gallon range. Our larger tanks in the 7600 gallon range
grin.gif
We're small potatoes to California and other wineries. I buy truckloads of wine from Vincent Cacciatore in Pixley California and he has many tanks in the 100,000 gallon range for storage. Some winemakers have in the 1-3 million gallon range. Now that's a lot of wine... sorry if it was
offtopic.gif

But, when it comes to filters either membrane, cartridge, plate and frame or DE (Diatomacious Earth) The wine industry is a huge consumer of these products, and we have to keep abreast of the technology of filtering. Oil is just another medium.

quote:

Originally posted by carock:
I think the facts are pretty clear. A good bypass filter system in addition to a normal full flow filter system will double your engine life.Valves, seals, piston rings, cams, lifters,bearings, and timing chains.

I have no idea why they are not more popular, or why I never heard of them before BITOG.

You have no idea on life span!! Double?? child's play.. if you figure double is 300,000 miles.. how about a million miles? One cannot claim that unless one has proven that in the field.

Biggest thing that the automotive industry does NOT want is for engines to wear longer. You might keep your vehicle twice as long!
nono.gif
Their sales would be down half as much
shocked.gif
and at a cost to them of a mere 100 bucks or less if they were to contract and get the products at the best prices. ie bypass filters.

http://www.gulfcoastfilters.com/1,000,000 MILES.htm Don't know if I'm linking to a sponsor, but if it is not acceptable I'm sure the powers at will can delete the link. Intersting though, that this truck has only had one oil change and running on regular oil and not synthetic. I'f he'd run synthetic he might have even forgone the cylinder rings!! LOL

Trasko has that... http://www.trasko-usa.com/trasko.htm

I dont really see bypass filtering making sense unless two criteria are met: you are out of warranty, and you drive a ton of miles; ie you plan on putting more than 300K on the original longblock.

I know plenty of non-car/oil people who have driven their cars/vans/trucks up to 300k with regular 3k LOF's.

Also my main problem with bypasses is that they add extra oil lines, or points of failure. On my wrx I added an oil pressure gauge, the gauge failed and leaked all the oil out of the engine. So the modification I did thinking I was helping to monitor/protect my engine completely backfired on me.

quote:

Originally posted by Santo Fontana:

I dont really see bypass filtering making sense unless two criteria are met: you are out of warranty, ....

Not necessarily true. You can run bypass system while in warranty and still remain in warranty, even if you only changed the oil in 25,000 miles, BUT had regular checks of the oil for it's quality. Personally, I'd put it on the vehicle at around 1000 miles after dumping the factory fill and going with good Amsoil synthetic. Perhaps an Amsoil bypass or the OilGuard filter. Better to pay more attention to good bypass setup and if you don't feel qualified, then have a qualified mechanic do it.

I assure you the leak that occurred on my installation was a part defect. The Autometer oil pressure sensor leaked oil out of the side where you make the electrical connection. Autometer replaced it for free.

It's still just good common grounds that whenever you tackle something automotive, and it involves hoses, oils, etc and even though you are mechanically minded, if you just don't feel up to it there is nothing wrong with getting a guy that does this stuff all the time to do it. They work in and around motors day after day, and sometimes what you or I might miss, they pick up on and alert us to a possible problems in the future.

Actually, IVECO (Fiat) ran tests of their delivery vehicles fitted with gasoline and diesel engines using thier TP bypass filters integrated into the spin on filter. In both cases, wear was cut in half. I might add that their integrated filters do not have much capacity for the bypass filter media. I guess the "best" single filter would be a bypass filter integrated into the spin on full flow filter. The problem is creating enough space for the filter.In truck use, these filters hold several gallons.

Speaking of bypass filtering. One would think some enterprising company could design a filter with integrated high efficiency coupled to standard media. I'm not talking about the old double filters which restricted flow but an actual bypass system built right in.

quote:

Originally posted by Santo Fontana:

I dont really see bypass filtering making sense unless two criteria are met: you are out of warranty, and you drive a ton of miles; ie you plan on putting more than 300K on the original longblock.

I know plenty of non-car/oil people who have driven their cars/vans/trucks up to 300k with regular 3k LOF's.

Also my main problem with bypasses is that they add extra oil lines, or points of failure. On my wrx I added an oil pressure gauge, the gauge failed and leaked all the oil out of the engine. So the modification I did thinking I was helping to monitor/protect my engine completely backfired on me.

Interesting...thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by Nebraskan:
It's still just good common grounds that whenever you tackle something automotive, and it involves hoses, oils, etc and even though you are mechanically minded, if you just don't feel up to it there is nothing wrong with getting a guy that does this stuff all the time to do it. They work in and around motors day after day, and sometimes what you or I might miss, they pick up on and alert us to a possible problems in the future.

I agree, and I am qualified. I went to school for auto technology, was ase certified in engine mechanical and electrical diagnosis, and worked at a gm dealership for a couple years before I came to my senses.
smile.gif
But I really learned the majority of what I know from the internet after I got my wrx and wanted to mod it (its gone now, came to my senses again...)

I would say Pure One but the fact that they don't put a plastic seal on the bottom of a new filter kinda turns me off. Especially when their Premium Plus filters have them.

Motorcraft filters:

Oil Filters:
Removes 80% of particles larger than 20 microns from your oil.
Anti drain back valve prevents "dry Starts".

Air Filters:
98.5% efficient in keeping coarse dust out of you engine.

Fuel Filters:
Removes over 90% of the particles larger than 20 microns from your fuel.

Cabin Air Filter:
Rated over 90% efficient in the reduction of dirt and dust accumulation.

ac delco looked terrible when i looked at abunch of model numbers at pep boys...my opinion a/c delco didn't even compared to the quality of a motorcraft.. iwas going to try one but after looking at them they looked too restrictive to me..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back