Best filter period.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
For direct swap readily available i agree, but what about the exotics like canton mecca? i always wondered about that.

Orange Can...
wink.gif

But its hard to beat Amsoil...

Better than average filtering is not needed - as long as you change the oil regularly. There are members here using ther gosh-awful Frams for better than 300K. I prefer the ones with a silicon ADBV. They generally are $4-$6. Buy a few when you catch a sale.

is it safe to say super tech walmart filters are the best PERIOD...in the category of bang for the buck?

there on the shelves of my walmart for only $2.05 tax included. are they actually good?

Good???? Better than Fram? Likely. Better than average? Not likely. Something more expensive worth it? Little evidence so.

I need to buddy up with my local quick lube guy to sell me some white box FRAMs for $1.50 each, that way, I don't have to hassle with Purolator rebates.

I never get a reliable supply of STs at the local Wallys...

Best in what way? I'm sure you've seen by now, most have a preference & they are all good.

Joel

My opinion only:

1) CM spin-on filter. These filter down to 8 microns and flow better than most. If money is no object, this is my first choice. I've never bought one, but have wanted to for many years. If I owned a Ferrari, a Porsche Turbo, or even a Z06, this is the filter I would use.

2) Amsoil EaO. From what I hear, these are excellent in all ways, but at $15 I haven't tried one yet.

3) Mobil 1. At $10 I don't normally buy them, but when they go on sale for $7 & change I usually pick up several.

4) PureOne. These are the filters I buy most often. A good value, especially when on sale. The only drawback might be that they don't flow quite as well as most, but they filter very well.

5) WIX. These are right there with the PureOne. Perhaps they don't filter quite as well as the PureOne, but flow better.

These are the only filters I will buy, but that's not to say there aren't other good filters out there.

I always go with the factoy filter for my BMW and the wifes' Miata. Now, the two Chevys I have get either A/C or ST. I am getting ready to use my first ST on my 4.3L pickup on the advice gleaned from BITOG. Has anyone ever had an ST filter fail on them? Cheers DV

quote:

Originally posted by BUDSHAD:
What do you guys think????????

Amsoil (all offerings) =only practical in extended drains, imo
M1 = ditto
PureOne = not too expensive for any usage
Wix = ditto
MC = bargain with a higher side performance $/benefit
PP (and other offerings under other labels = ditto
ST = ditto w/probably the best $/benefit ratio

That's my perception/opinion

I would like more Bitog members to run their own tests using their standard OCI and UOA and see if the filter makes any difference. You will find that they are pretty much useless in affecting any numbers on that UOA. In my case they made no difference after 12000 mile OCI.

Modern engines (operating properly) , todays fuels and oils make the filter a catastrophic event prevention, they do little to prolong the life of your engine. Please, do your own testing!

Go with the flow over filtration!

Oil filters seem so......

old fogeyish. Old fashioned. So out of style.

Isn't there some new modern high-tech way to remove minute bits of crud-like crud from what some marketing types call our "engine's lifeblood"?

C'mon. Let's get with the program. Surely there's a new, improved way to cleanse the oil.

Maybe we can concoct that method right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back