Best engine in 2023?

Cast my vote for the flathead Ford V8.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I interpreted the thread title to mean "best engine among the 2023 models".

Any lifter-related issues?

You obviously have not read about the new engine...DOHC

And with 670 horsepower, the all-new double-overhead-cam (DOHC) 5.5-liter V-8 is the highest-horsepower naturally aspirated V-8 ever installed in a production car, beating out the 622-hp 6.2-liter fire-breather that powered the 2014 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Black Series.

Tomato tomato. The title of this thread is

Best engine in 2023?​

but people are posting stuff from the 60's or 80's, so that ship has sailed. Are you familiar with the car mag Motor Trend? It's not ENGINE Trend.
Isn't the magazine title from old Brit-speak, where they would refer to an automobile as a "motor"?

A lot of DOHC valve-trains use roller followers paired with hydraulic lash adjusters that many people refer to as lifters.

I believe that is what he was referring to

Best commonly available engine: Ford 5.0 Coyote in the Mustang or F150.

Overbuilt, able to handle 750HP without internal mods, and despite a few hickups a few years back, the bugs have been worked out. There are examples with 350K miles, no problems.

I'd be thrilled to have a 5.0 F150 and 5.0 Mustang in my garage.

2D6FD119-A7F4-4AD2-AFA4-D14C3547B8F7.jpeg

Engine, not motor...what's the difference...question for the ages.

Does an engine involve heat? Then what about an outboard motor (boat)?

And why is it called Motor City instead of Engine City???
Agree. BMW is Bayerische Motoren Werke - not Bayerische Triebwerk Werke

Not a “car” engine but I really think that Fords new 7.3 gas engine is going to be around for a while. Seems to be well liked in pickups and medium duty trucks. I foresee a lot of school bus fleets going that direction. Cheaper maintenance, none of the emissions issues of diesel, etc.

While I love my 5L Coyote, I'm certain my wife's 4Runner with a 1GR-FE is best.

Back