Best coolant for 2005 4 cylinder Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda coolant - or Toyota Red/Zerex Asian Vehicle if you like your coolant purple.

And get yourself a Lisle spill-free funnel, it makes a messy ordeal of bleeding almost spill free. You run the car with the funnel attached and 1/3 full of coolant until the fans cycle and almost all air is burped out. Then squeeze the upper hose, insert the stopper and remove the funnel. No cracking bleed screws needed.

Here is a cut and paste of a reply that I made in another thread:

I just changed the timing belt in my 2001 Accord with 92K and the OE water pump looked like new. I have been running Peak Global for over 70K and 6 years. I am starting to believe (what qship1996 and sayjac say) that in a well designed, dry intake system any good long life coolant will work fine. In a poorly designed system, like my 3.1 Buicks, it's a whole different story and coolant choice is very important.

PS: the timing belt, tensioner, tensioner belt, water pump and both accessory belts all looked great at 92K and almost 9 years old. All looked like they could have went much further. I will have no qualms going the full 105K (Honda recommendation) next time.
I also realize that changing the OE Honda coolant at 2 years/20K was unneccessary. In a well designed system like this it really could have gone 5 years,IMO.

What I didn't say previously is that I used Peak Global 50/50 and D&R'd the radiator at approx. 20K, 40K, 65K and 85K. After 4 D&Rs I had to be running almost entirely Peak GL but most of the time the system had a mixture of Honda OE and Peak Global. They must be compatible because the entire system and the OE water pump looks like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back