best conventional or high mileage cleaning oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
pyb, maxlife semi syn, valvoline white, or other main name brand conventionals. which has the best or highest cleaning detergents...Iknow its on the site somewhere but quick please im headin out to wally mart now! Gonna put it in a slightly neglected 98 tercel.

thanx boys.

I was hoping someone would say maxlife since i have a nice stash of it i just thought pyb would be the new contender from what Ive been readin on here lately, If you had to pick between the two....No not crisco... cut me some slack please!

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
Go with the PYB; it has good cleaning abilities.

+1 PYB hands down. From the UOA's....Next would be MaxLife Synthetic Blend HM in SM with the Moly.

Last edited:
You don't have to agree with me. The best conventional oil is chevron supreme. Make sure you get the latest one that have API SN symbol on the bottle.. You can buy it for $2.33 a quart at the costco.

I get better mileage than using synthetic oil.

I've yet to see any evidence that PYB or Maxlife or any other oil for that matter has better cleaning ability than any other. Advertising claims are not proof.

jeff

Originally Posted By: greenjp
I've yet to see any evidence that PYB or Maxlife or any other oil for that matter has better cleaning ability than any other. Advertising claims are not proof.

jeff

Agreed. I sincerely doubt any of the majors are any substantially better enough at "cleaning" than the others so that people on this forum could tell you which is the "best" at cleaning from experience. They may be able to tell you which they had good luck with, but certainly not in reference to anything else.

Ya know, I wish I could figure this out. I have tied the Valvoline WB,GTX,and the PYB,and so far it has run excellent on the WB,and GTX (all 5W30 btw) But for some unexplainable reason at lest to me anyway, my car just doesnt run the great on the pyb? Seems sluggish,less pep on it? ANd I have used PYB since the 80`s and never encountered this one before. I also have a jug of Q State Green I have not tired yet. So that may be interesting to see as well.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Originally Posted By: greenjp

jeff

Agreed. I sincerely doubt any of the majors are any substantially better enough at "cleaning" than the others so that people on this forum could tell you which is the "best" at cleaning from experience. They may be able to tell you which they had good luck with, but certainly not in reference to anything else.

Agreed...

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Ya know, I wish I could figure this out. I have tied the Valvoline WB,GTX,and the PYB,and so far it has run excellent on the WB,and GTX (all 5W30 btw) But for some unexplainable reason at lest to me anyway, my car just doesnt run the great on the pyb? Seems sluggish,less pep on it? ANd I have used PYB since the 80`s and never encountered this one before. I also have a jug of Q State Green I have not tired yet. So that may be interesting to see as well.

All in all, I'm giving an HDEO(not a HDD mind you) a chance to clean up some on my late model Civic. Since it's only for a purpose(not prolonged use) I don't see how it can do damage. Also, I'm using MMO with it and have it blended with a qt of a light-weight 0w-30 M1 AFE.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I'd have maybe gone Maxlife, but its a Tercel, Crisco would probably be fine.

lol.gif
That is a good one. Both the old SM version, new SN version, and new SN "Nextgen" versions of this oil exceed GM-AS4718M and will clean very well. Much like a PYB, mayhaps. Maybe ill give that one a shot.

The only question is the grade to use. For most people, 5W-30 is good unless hyperanalysis is needed.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

Wow! I should have proof read this one! I sure mangled some words there.

Castrol GTX all the way - it has lots of cleaning agents - 1900-2100ppm Ca, and 300-400ppm Na detergent.

Check out the VOA on the PQIA site, or UOA's here.

Decided to bring this back from the grave,because I was thinking,if you could name the best conventional oil based on the add pack,which would it be?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Decided to bring this back from the grave,because I was thinking,if you could name the best conventional oil based on the add pack,which would it be?

Given those parameters? Schaeffers Moly Bond X-200

Mobil 1 HM is a very good oil , I have also had good results with Mobil super high mileage. It stopped a fairly bad leak in my mothers windstar and it is a resource conserving oil as well.I am just not sure as to the "cleansing abilities" of it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back