5w20 for high mileage Honda?

Thanks for your thoughts, guys 👍 With the Pennzoil platinum rebate just starting, it seems like it will be pretty hard to beat two 5qt jugs of either Ultra or high mileage. Is Ultra better overall than high mileage (because it’s cheaper right now)? OTOH, the $6 difference for 2 isn’t going to kill me 😆 I understand manufactures recommending thinner and thinner oil for a fuel economy, but am I likely to see any difference between 5w20 and 5w30? If the answer is no/probably not, I can use 5w30 in my Volt and my turbo Subaru (I typically run heavier oil than that one though). Since there appears to be a limit of two per household, maybe my smart move is two jugs of 5w20 high mileage platinum and two jugs of 5w30 Ultra…. Thanks!
Their Ultra is positioned as their best product, so I would get PP Ultra 5W30 and use that.

In Australia the same car would have 5W30 or 10W30 or 10W40 in it. But honestly nothing wrong with 5W20 as per the book over there.

Also, just my 2 cents, Valvoline MaxLife Red (semi-synthetic) 10W30 (API SP) would be a fine choice. You live in Arizona I believe, so probably a suitable climate for 10W30.

Last edited:
If your not allergic to the thought you could run an Tough Guard or Ultra for two OCI and get better filtration. Even the OCOD is rated for 20,000 mi on a Honda.
Something I have wondered, is an Ultra on its second OCI (assuming it’s left on for two) still a better filter than a new Fram OCOD? If it is, then that’s a no brainer (because laziness) unless it costs more than two or three regular ones…

Something I have wondered, is an Ultra on its second OCI (assuming it’s left on for two) still a better filter than a new Fram OCOD? If it is, then that’s a no brainer (because laziness) unless it costs more than two or three regular ones…

It should still filter out smaller particles up until the point it becomes saturated. They do also have a significantly larger amount of media and the media should be capable of holding significantly more per square inch.

I'd just give it a steady diet of any of the name-brand high-mileage oils (Valvoline maxlife or max life synthetic would be my choice) in 5w20 or 5w30, changed at about 80% of the OLM's suggestion. No, the OLM can't tell anything about the oil - at best, depending on the car, it keeps track of driving conditions (fuel economy, etc.) and varies by a small amount based on those factors.

Totally fine. I put 365,000 miles on a 2003 civic si and that always got pennzoil platinum 5w-20. Engine was never taken apart either.

Back