Best cheap tool brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boss has been looking for new tools for the farm. Needing good tools for in the shop. Everything from impact sockets, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, etc. Also looking for tools to carry in the tractors (crescent wrenches, hammer, pry bars). He doesn't want to spend Snap On type of money, but is still looking for good quality. I'm trying to get him to not go to Harbor freight for everything, but need suggestions for what to get then.

Actually the Pittsburg brand of sockets are pretty darn good. You can also get some great deals on eBay on new Craftsman stuff.

Performance tool isnt too bad,just dont buy the socket sets.The tools in the sets are NOT the same as available separately,they seriously cheap out with the sets.We are talking old Ames Dept Store level quality with those.

ive had reasonably good luck with Stanley tools for most of the past 10 years. Ive not broke one yet.. and there more than fairly priced at WM. I wouldnt consider these professional grade, more like DIY homeowners grade (that work well for the price)

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Performance tool isnt too bad,just dont buy the socket sets.The tools in the sets are NOT the same as available separately,they seriously cheap out with the sets.We are talking old Ames Dept Store level quality with those.

We've used a few of the Performance tool wrenches, and the quality really isn't that good compared to others. The box ends are lacking from what we've seen.

The shop tools will get used daily so semi professional quality is probably needed. Regular DIY type of tools don't last long around here.

I too have heard Kobalt is good value.

I guess it depends on what you considered expensive. Craftsman is definitely cheaper than the Matco and Snap-On stuff and is still very good.

Kobalt's good. Armstrong Industrial if you want USA.

If the boss can wait six weeks there are great post Xmas clearances in the big box stores. The name brands in box sets are sometimes a little chintzy but if you bust one you get a main-line replacement.

Lowes had a pretty good deal on three packs of pliers at $10, dunno if they still do. Lowes seems to run a 2-3 month sale on a category of tool then change it around. Almost like a re-introduction sale event. The stuff moved from Danahar to Taiwan but at least in ratchet land the quality has improved.

You should take a look at SK, Wright, and Armstrong. They are all US made and very rugged.

There are cheaper tools, but you would be hard pressed to find a better value.

Have your boss look at Epsteins online. Wright, Armstrong,SK, Wilde, Bonney and others at wholesale prices. Almost all American made. Great people and service too. Check out the closeouts section too. (I am not affiliated with them, just a customer.)
http://store.harryepstein.com/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: royesses
Have your boss look at Epsteins online. Wright, Armstrong,SK, Wilde, Bonney and others at wholesale prices. Almost all American made. Great people and service too. Check out the closeouts section too. (I am not affiliated with them, just a customer.)

Had never heard of them before. Looks like a great place to get started and compare everything. Thank you for the link.

+1

Better to shop there then rob more Americans of jobs.

+1

+1 for harbor freight, especially for tools that knock around in equipment tool boxes.

I have had good luck with Kobalt as well.

wow... bookmarked!

Farm auctions. I've seen exactly what you're looking for sold in lot amounts fairly inexpensive. You can easily have a very well equiped shop for a couple hundred dollars, and you'll get quality that's much better than Harbor Freight garbage.

Back in August I went to an auction and a wheeled tool box (I don't remember the brand) full of wrenches, sockets, pliers, vice grips and screwdrivers (mostly older Craftsman, Cresent, Wizard, Proto and some MAC) sold for less than $100. If purchased new there was easily $1000 worth of tools, and at the minimum they would have been perfect for tractor toolbox tools. I thought about bidding but there wasn't anything I needed.

It takes more time than going out and buying it new, but it's time well spent and the quality of hand tools from the 1950's-1980's is far superior than anything at Harbor Freight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back