Best Cheap tire for older truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
More of a question for my brother-in-law. He has an old 86 4x4 Chevy 10K? ANyway, comparable to 1500 today. HE needs new tires something fierce, but is low on cash. ANyway, the truck will see some off-road use while snaking out to the deer woods and noise, and smoothness of ride isn't a premium for him. Any suggestions for a cheapre all terrain tire? The local garage down the road is having a sale on their Dayton tires, I know I have seen some of their Timberlines around, and I was going to check them out in the next couple of days, but if they are POS in comparison to something else, I won't bother. Thanks-

Dayton tires, especially the AT models, are by no means a POS. Dayton is a division of Firestone and benefits from the same rubber compounds as all Firestone/Bridgestone products with slight changes in tread design. If I were looking for a new set of AT style tires Dayton would be on my short list regardless of price. The fact that they are priced lower than "premium" brands makes them all the more attractive.

At a local tire shop near me there are 3-4 young mechanics with 4bys and each of their trucks are sportin' a set of Dayton tires. These guys can pick from all the major brands and get them at cost yet they all picked Dayton. IMO, that speaks volumes.

Thanks Mike. I will check the Dayton's out for sure, and yeah, that would say a lot, way to keep your eyes peeled observations like that can really add up in the long run.

From personal experience I have to totally agree Dayton is a great tire. I laid flooring for over 20 years out of a Dodge van. Van was constantly overloaded with ceramic tile/wood, carpet etc. Was always suffering from slipped belts and sudden blow outs. I saw Dayton Radial Stag XL for 70.00 installed. 55,000 mile warranty. I put 70,000 on first set I had 50,000 on second set when van fell apart. (379,000 miles. Body, roof etc. rusted out engine still strong!) and tires still had GREAT tread. They were AT'S but had smooth quiet ride on highway with excellent traction wet or dry. Definetly a GREAT tire. Was really surprised they were Firestone (just learned that last year) Hate Firestone never would buy one. These are better than Fireblowns

seems like daytons atleast from my own expierence aways need more wheel weights to balance out compared to other tyres. this leads me to believe they are not assembled with great precision. goodyear michelin and dunlop on the other hand, awalys seem to need minimal, if any wheel weights.

by the way, the only thing it tells you about the 4x4 guys and their daytons, is that they are cheap.

Anybody thinking of buying tires needs to spend some time at www.tirerack.com. They have ratings and tests of dozens of tires. You may not choose the hassle of mail order, but you can see what is available and pick something that fits your needs, then buy locally.

labman, I didn't think Tirerack.com reviewed brands they didn't sell, and I don't think Dayton is on their product list, but yeah, I will and have checked them out in the past. I picked my Dunlop Radial Rovers based on those reviews and have been happy with the tires for the price.

I like my Liberator AT's from Wal-Mart. They're made in the USA by the Michelin/BFG conglomerate. Good thing about Wal-mart is that they charge a flat $9.76 a tire for mounting/balancing/valve stem/road hazard, and they have them in every town.

mr

The Dayton tires aren't a bad choice. I know a few folks running the Timberline AT. All are happy and the price was cheap.

Even Consumer Reports rated them a best buy in one of their tire tests, if you can believe in their reports!

Yokohama Geolander AT+2 it is almost as good as the BFG AT AND THE BRIDGESTONE DUELER REVO AND MUCH CHEAPER .TRY THE TIRE RACK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back