best cheap chainsaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I now understand. I couldn't understand why an individual would be hoarding expensive chainsaws, or how that would relate to someone wanting to get in to the saw game at a minimum level.

I personally agree with your principle of buying for quality if you can find it cheaply. But that is a huge "if". With the universal market info provided by Craigslist and ebay, I doubt if there are many good deals out there anymore. I know that when I was looking for mine all I saw was worn out ones being discarded by lawn services.

However, I will also give the example of my father-in-law. I know that he used Stihl's at one time, as he passed a worn-out one down to me. But I also know that he eventually treated chainsaws as disposable. When a new disposable one comes on sale at little more than the minimum bench charge for a repair visit, why not go that route?

Yes, that goes against the grain if you like to tinker, or are into sustainability. But as a practical matter, a Sears chainsaw has exactly the same advantages as Craftsman tools. When you want one, they are available and cheap, and warrantied for a certain period. For the moment, as long as we are not assessed the real cost to the world of disposal, they are an economically viable option.

After owning gas chainsaws for years and having them more in the shop (maybe my fault for brand choice) than cutting wood, I opt for renting gas powered. We have two Desa/Remington electrics to do most of the work, and I intend to rent a gas powered one when I need to. I started with this plan 5 yrs ago and haven't rented one yet.

Last time I had my gas chainsaw in the shop, I was amazed of the number of Craftsman out of warranty chain saws my repair shop had to work on. That sight alone indicates that perhaps you should go with a different brand.

I wouldn't buy a cheap gas powered saw with the logic that someday you'll move to where you need it. buy electric now, buy a better gas saw when you actually need it and know exactly what you need.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
OK, I now understand. I couldn't understand why an individual would be hoarding expensive chainsaws, or how that would relate to someone wanting to get in to the saw game at a minimum level.

Lol, yeah, I just meant here in the office we have a chainsaw for just about every "field" person. We have to ride roads after storms move over and make sure we clear any trees. Of course, FYI (if you're ever on a National Forest after a storm), if a member of the public comes across a tree down across the road, they have the right to buck it up and take it off for personal use. But if it's already been pushed to the side, you must by a firewood permit.

Quote:
I personally agree with your principle of buying for quality if you can find it cheaply. But that is a huge "if". With the universal market info provided by Craigslist and ebay, I doubt if there are many good deals out there anymore. I know that when I was looking for mine all I saw was worn out ones being discarded by lawn services.

However, I will also give the example of my father-in-law. I know that he used Stihl's at one time, as he passed a worn-out one down to me. But I also know that he eventually treated chainsaws as disposable. When a new disposable one comes on sale at little more than the minimum bench charge for a repair visit, why not go that route?

Yes, that goes against the grain if you like to tinker, or are into sustainability. But as a practical matter, a Sears chainsaw has exactly the same advantages as Craftsman tools. When you want one, they are available and cheap, and warrantied for a certain period. For the moment, as long as we are not assessed the real cost to the world of disposal, they are an economically viable option.

Yeah, I see both sides, but I'm just thinking from personal experience where I have bought the cheapest tools/appliances I could, just to get a job done. If I had a dime for every broken, cheap pot metal hand tool/power tool I've wasted money on....

Like my "bargain" Campbell Hausfeld air compressor. That thing must hold about 3 ounces of air.... I can't even air four tires up with the thing....

I've had good luck with the Poulon Patriot I picked up on sale a couple of years ago. I payed 89.00 for it at WM I think. It's good if you don't have too do anything too heavy duty, and should suffice for most any kind of yard work.

Originally Posted By: alreadygone
Any body else ever stuck a 6" wood blade in their cordless sawzall and tried it for tree triming? Quick, light, handy, really eats it up.

Bob

Absolutely. They also have some longer, really coarse blades which are perfect for tree trimming.

"Any body else ever stuck a 6" wood blade in their cordless sawzall and tried it for tree triming?"

I've been using a Corona 'Razor' pruning saw for over a decade now, touching up the saw with a Dremel once in awhile (tedious), and it works great tree trimming. It worked so well I bought another and put an 18in short ax handle on it, an 'invention' of mine that works great as you can get two hands on it and make quick work of fairly thick limbs in tight spots.

I agree with Bryan. Buy a Stihl.

Of course, I'm a tad biased, as I've been selling Stihl power equipment now for 30 years
grin2.gif

Stihl makes an entry level homeowner gas powered chain saw called the MS 170 that sells for $179.95. It comes with a 14" bar and chain, and a full 2 year warranty. Go to http://www.stihlusa.com , click on dealer locator and type in your zip code to find a local dealer.

Stihl also makes electrics, but they are top of the line tools and sell for more than you want to spend. People buy gas saws for the portability, of course, and they buy electric saws for the convienience of not having to mess with the gas.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hate2work
Stihl makes an entry level homeowner gas powered chain saw called the MS 170 that sells for $179.95...

How does the 170 compare to the 017? My dad's had one for over 10 years, really like it and never had any trouble with it.

Originally Posted By: grcmptrnrd
Stihl makes an entry level homeowner gas powered chain saw called the MS 170 that sells for $179.95...

How does the 170 compare to the 017? My dad's had one for over 10 years, really like it and never had any trouble with it.

017 = 170 (almost) stihl went to a new numbering system a few years ago.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Originally Posted By: grcmptrnrd

017 = 170 (almost) stihl went to a new numbering system a few years ago.

Tom is right, by flipping the numbers around, they now have a field of 999 to work with for model numbers rather than the 99 they had before.

170 is virtually the same saw as the 017, with maybe a few minor exceptions.

Stihl along with most other OPE manufactures gave their models new numbers when they changed over to the phase II emissions requirements.

stihl and husqvarna are real good.expensive though.for occasional use get a poulan.if you have a good pawn shop in the area check them out,with a little dickering you can pick up used stihl or husq. for the price of a poulan.

Thanks everyone! Lots of good advice just as I expected!

You won't go wrong with getting a ~$129.00 entry level chain saw from Poulan (or Craftsman - made by Poulan). Try looking at Lowes, Wal-Mart, Costco, or Sam's Club. I have used a 34cc engine Craftsman saw with an 18" bar extensively for 8 years for tree removal and post hurricane clean-up. The only negative is that they are somewhat harder to start than a Stihl or Husqvarna unit. However, it cuts with lots of power as long as the chain is sharp and has very little kickback. It is not pro grade, but then again, I am not a professional arborist.

Originally Posted By: Nukeman7
You won't go wrong with getting a ~$129.00 entry level chain saw from Poulan (or Craftsman - made by Poulan). Try looking at Lowes, Wal-Mart, Costco, or Sam's Club. I have used a 34cc engine Craftsman saw with an 18" bar extensively for 8 years for tree removal and post hurricane clean-up. The only negative is that they are somewhat harder to start than a Stihl or Husqvarna unit. However, it cuts with lots of power as long as the chain is sharp and has very little kickback. It is not pro grade, but then again, I am not a professional arborist.

I would add the caveat, that if you can do your own work on your saw, then a cheap one isn't too bad, it does cut wood. Otherwise, what do you do when your $120 saw doesn't start? Spend $60 for a small engine guy to look at it, who doesn't really want to deal with a cheap saw. Then a year or two later, have the next cheap part fail in the carb... $60 again or toss and buy a better saw?
I won't say a $250-300 stihl or echo is going to be absolutely perfect, but it will be worth fixing, easier to fix, and have parts available for the next 20 years.
I'd also add that if your not going to use it enough to buy safety equipment probably you should just buy a good arborist hand saw. I've never been bit, but it can happen, especially to "twice a year" users. If your actually falling trees of any size, I'd recommend taking a weekend course. Then you'll know what your doing is at least semi-safe... There are enough clowns on youtube dropping trees on themselves, others, their trucks, etc...
Ian

If our buy used, get one with the modern safety features - chain brake, guards, etc. I bought a big, used Stihl from the days before safety about ten years ago and now I hardly use it because I think of all the ways I could get hurt. Now it's the bow saw, pruning saw and the saws-all.

FWIW, my great uncle was a logger and he always used Husqvarnas. My mother has his last one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back