Best Bearing Race and Seal Driver Set

AutoMechanic

Site Donor 2024
I’m looking for a good bearing race and seal driver set. I’ve looked at some but want recommendations as most of the reviews I have read on the ones I looked at have said they mushroomed on the ends. The particular ones I looked at were both of the ones offered at Harbor Freight one being the Pittsburgh Automotive line the other being their Maddox line which I don’t know too much about. I also seen one at Northern Tool branded Performance Tool which I also don’t know much about. What does everyone use or recommend? I’m open to all recommendations. Thank you.

Last edited:
I've had 4 different aluminum sets made by Lisle....They are pretty good but wear out eventually. Snap-on makes a Steel version that is NICE albeit expensive.

Any Aluminum driver will mushroom.....You're hitting it with a hammer after all.

I've had 4 different aluminum sets made by Lisle....They are pretty good but wear out eventually. Snap-on makes a Steel version that is NICE albeit expensive.

Any Aluminum driver will mushroom.....You're hitting it with a hammer after all.
True. I would like to have a steel one but will go with aluminum if I have too. I’ve never owned one so I wasn’t sure exactly if anyone else offered any steel ones or not. I’m getting it to redo the bearings and all the seals in the beetle. And of course use it on other stuff eventually too. So I guess I can buy a budget one right now if I have too.

I use a brass drift and a hammer for the races. To drive in seals, I use home made PVC plumbing couplers of various sizes and a rubber mallot or just tap the seal in place, gently with a hammer..

I use a brass drift and a hammer for the races. To drive in seals, I use home made PVC plumbing couplers of various sizes and a rubber mallot or just tap the seal in place, gently with a hammer..
Good ideas. I have used the drift before for them I would prefer to get the tool though because if you don’t hit it just right or miss you might mess it up.

I've used a hammer and punch all my life, not a problem. For seals, the 3/4 socket set is good, also use them in the press....caliper pistons are good too.

We do a lot of trailer bearings at work, they are all the same hub, and we keep half a dozen sets in stock...sometimes gone in a couple of weeks. I told the boss we shouldn't be doing this, there is a better way - so made up a couple pieces from bar stock and welded them together. Now bearings and seals are pressed in, so much quicker and easier - why didn't I think of it 50 years ago !

I've used a hammer and punch all my life, not a problem. For seals, the 3/4 socket set is good, also use them in the press....caliper pistons are good too.

We do a lot of trailer bearings at work, they are all the same hub, and we keep half a dozen sets in stock...sometimes gone in a couple of weeks. I told the boss we shouldn't be doing this, there is a better way - so made up a couple pieces from bar stock and welded them together. Now bearings and seals are pressed in, so much quicker and easier - why didn't I think of it 50 years ago !
Haha good info. I have a couple 3/4 drive sockets up to 1 1/2. I hate hitting on sockets though but it does work usually in most cases anyway.

Yeah, I don't use my own sockets for such things, but if they are workshop tools and someone else has had a go at them with a hammer, then I've got no problem doing the same. Tapping a seal in is no problem with a socket though.

Stuff like this works fine for most things, odd ball stuff I usually make something.

Stuff like this works fine for most things, odd ball stuff I usually make something.

I like those big sets hadn’t seen any that big.

Back