Best Bang-for-Buck Cable Modem on a Budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to stop renting the Arris DG860 gateway (modem/router combo) from Wide Open West. It's $10/month and been paying that mainly because I'm just too lazy to mess with it, but lately I've come to the conclusion that the Arris is a piece of excrement. For one thing even though I recently put it in Bridge mode to my Cisco WiFi router, it still causes random problems with my call quality on VOIP cellular calls. I suspect the Arris before I suspect the Cisco due to apparently the Arris is known to poorly implement SIP and even continue to modify packets though the ALG when its firewall has been to disabled.

Anyhow, looking for a cheap bullet-proof DOCSIS 3.0 modem only, no combos, to replace it and stop renting. Sub $50 would be great.

My Vonage VOIP box is connected directly to my DSL modem/router. My computers are connected to my Archer Wifi/router. No need to put the Vonage box in same network as my computers.

Check with the openwest website to get a list of supported modems before you buy. Get as many download channels as you can afford since that was the reason my reliable motorola surfboard got EOLed by comcast. Ot was only a 4x4 docsis3.0 but didnt support the 100mbit downloads (even thought my plan was 25) so they booted it off the network. Has to buy a arris 16x4 channel bonding model from walmart for $80. Arris sb6183. Its been working great sof far. A little better latency than the 4x4 meaning the response to web browser click is faster. While pizzed my 5year old modem that still worked fine was booted off the network at least i did notice some increase in performance that i can appreciate with the upgrade

I have had good results with the motorola cable modems for years.

Check your ISP's approved list of modem makes and models for your speed tier, and shop for the best one you can afford, because you will update speed some day.

I have never heard of a cable modem causing issues with VOIP sip phone calling.

So long as you have it in true bridge mode, the issue is on your router side.

My guess would be some TCP and UDP ports need to be opened for that client (your VOIP box) to get to the internet.

I have done similar things to get google hangouts calling working on my cell phone on wifi, and my ipad.

Read the documentation.

One thing I would try, is put the VOIP phone in the DMZ for testing. If the call quality is good, your port settings are wrong on the firewall.

Obviously you don't want to leave stuff in the DMZ, but this is useful for figuring out what is going on.

I would definitely get a motorola/arris

6121 for upto 50mbit service
6141 for upto 100mbit service
6183 for upto 300mbit service/ somewhat futureproof.
sb8200 docsis 3.1 - futureproof

I'd probably just get a 6183 and call it a day.

FWIW my buddy at twc/spectrum level 3 support
says to avoid zytel and a few others for their network anyway.

You do need to check what modems are supported on your ISP.. but I've never heard of the major motorola modems not working on anyone's network.

avoid the netgear cm700 its the puma chipset

newegg.com has manufacturer refurb 6183 for 49.99 on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291724087156?afepn=5337259887&rmvSB=true

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
I would definitely get a motorola/arris

6121 for upto 50mbit service
6141 for upto 100mbit service
6183 for upto 300mbit service/ somewhat futureproof.
sb8200 docsis 3.1 - futureproof

I'd probably just get a 6183 and call it a day.

FWIW my buddy at twc/spectrum level 3 support
says to avoid zytel and a few others for their network anyway.

You do need to check what modems are supported on your ISP.. but I've never heard of the major motorola modems not working on anyone's network.

avoid the netgear cm700 its the puma chipset

newegg.com has manufacturer refurb 6183 for 49.99 on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291724087156?afepn=5337259887&rmvSB=true

Thanks for info. Leaning towards either an Arris/Motorola 6141 or Netgear CM400. Both support 8x4 channel bonding or whatever. Refurbs are tempting but honestly they're only $10-$15 less and might be a dice roll on reliability. I like the Netgear because it's smaller and looks sleeker, what does your friend think of Netgear modems?

I did google the Puma chipset and found this list of modems to avoid, so a big thanks for that heads-up:

https://www.approvedmodems.com/do-not-buy-list.html

I grabbed Wide Open West's modem compatability list and they're both one it and that TP Link 7610 that WhyMe just posted is too and I generally like TP-Link products.

Originally Posted By: Donald
My Vonage VOIP box is connected directly to my DSL modem/router. My computers are connected to my Archer Wifi/router. No need to put the Vonage box in same network as my computers.

Same here - Cable modem (Arris) -> Vonage -> Router. Excellent VOIP quality. Fast I'Net to the rest of the system. Your topology is wrong ...

The SB6183 would be a great choice. 16x4 channels is plenty.

I'm running a Zoom 5370, also 16x4 but runs a lot cooler than the SB6141 Moto I had previously and also uses a Broadcom chipset, not Puma.

Based on reviews Amazon and Newegg it looks like the 6183 has a higher incidence of issues than the 6141. That might have been for refurbs of each model though.

When I said VOIP, I sort of wasn't precise. It's not a vonage type VOIP setup, it's voip over WiFi i.e. internet calling over any WiFi connection. Special feature of Republic Wireless phones. So basically any firewall needs to not molest anything that might be related to internet voip.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Looking to stop renting the Arris DG860 gateway (modem/router combo) from Wide Open West. It's $10/month and been paying that mainly because I'm just too lazy to mess with it, but lately I've come to the conclusion that the Arris is a piece of excrement. For one thing even though I recently put it in Bridge mode to my Cisco WiFi router, it still causes random problems with my call quality on VOIP cellular calls. I suspect the Arris before I suspect the Cisco due to apparently the Arris is known to poorly implement SIP and even continue to modify packets though the ALG when its firewall has been to disabled.

Anyhow, looking for a cheap bullet-proof DOCSIS 3.0 modem only, no combos, to replace it and stop renting. Sub $50 would be great.

Two months ago I purchased this Motorolla 3.0 343 MBPs modem off this Ebay listing for $34. It seemed to be new in the box and works great.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTOROLA-8X4-CABLE-MODEM-MODEL-MB7220-343-MBPS-DOCSIS-3-0/162648403596?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

I've had good luck with the Moto SB6141, but I'm thinking the Arris is a re-badged Moto.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
The SB6183 would be a great choice. 16x4 channels is plenty.

I'm running a Zoom 5370, also 16x4 but runs a lot cooler than the SB6141 Moto I had previously and also uses a Broadcom chipset, not Puma.

I just looked into this Zoom. Always had good luck with Zoom stuff. Lots of good reviews and not a room heater. So I ordered one so I can get off rental ...
smile.gif

So as usual I've gone full BITOG detail-oriented into the modem stuff, and value the comments in this thread. ONE THING I'VE FOUND googling around today: AVOID ANY MODEM WITH THE PUMA 6 CHIPSET. Puma 5 actually an earlier chipset is apparently not suffering from the packet loss and lag tendencies of the Puma 6, but still has similar DoS attack vulnerability. Not that easy finding out which modems utilize which chipset. Apparently the Broadcom chipset is best but tends to be in higher end and commercial grade units. On the residential end and on the cheapo end looks like modems with the Puma 5 chipset are okay, as long as you don't get Denial of Service attacked (DoS). Arris 6141, TP-Link 7610 use Puma 5. I'm considering both of those. The Puma class of chipsets was developed by Texas Instruments and in 2010 Intel bought it from them.

Called WOW tech line this afternoon and asked about if any of the DOCSIS 3.0's on their Modem Compatibility List are going to be tagged for End of Life removal from their network anytime soon. Rep said no, I asked about the Arris 6141 and TP-Link 7610 and no End of Life is forecasted for those two by WOW ... if the tech rep actually knew, which I'd assume he would?

My service is only 30 (thirty) Mbps and it's all I need, so should be good with either. Tech rep warned that while both modems (6141 and 7610) are rated by their makers to 343 Mbps (DOCSIS 3.0 limit?), that WOW only provisions them up to 100 Mbps.

Just not a high bandwidth using household and won't be after fiancee and I get married next year. Should be able to stick with the 30Mbps service for a while. $30/month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back