New Cable Modem (Zoom 5370) Speed Test Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post Loneranger,

Hmmm ... yeah, I MAY be a little OCD ... my wife will say so for sure!
I enjoy making everything work to its max and really enjoy the whole electronic / internet connection thing.
Careful planning and implementation truly makes a difference.

Ok, well back the the new computer, hmmm... loving it BUT there was a hiccup for me, first time in decades.
The new computer stopped working, used it a few hours and when I turned it on later that day, it kept hanging up after typing my password into the Windows start screen, Windows would start but then the screen would turn black.

Long story short, MANY attempts to get it going, wife came in the room, we packed it up in the box, brought it back to Best Buy and god bless Best Buy, they were still in stock and gave me a new one right there.
New one working perfect, no doubt in my mind the failure was a software glitch, not hardware, simply because each time I could log in but then screen went black.
I took the cover off and looked inside, without question most powerful computer I ever had, I never cared too much in the past but now with 100 mbps INTERNET I was running more and more stuff and noticing slight slow downs with the old one. I was also impressed with how neat the wiring was done. Did not expect that from HP. Im not loyal to any brand, give me best quality for price. HP I think pulled it off, time will tell.

Anyway, 3 cooling fans! Power supply, case and a huge one on the processor as well as a HUGE heat sink. Yes, I can tell I using a bit more power but thats ok. My old Lenovo A4 was the equal of a laptop in a desktop body.

Back to OCD .. I have mentioned these in the past.
Snap on Ferrite Filters, I have them on EVERY SINGLE electronic component in my home, I have bought dozens and dozens of different size ones from ebay, many shipped right from China others from CA.

Every network wire, cat cables, powerlines, even phone lines, TVs, Roku players, DVRS, Bluray players, power lines going into the computers! I have them on everything and anything, they are cheap, so why not? In fact, critical areas like routers, computers, etc I put two on!

Doesnt make sense not too, any decent TV data transfer cable, etc came from the factory with them, they do help with interference and Ihave curied an issue on our security system with them, that was when I was sold on them but then I realized they are everywhere even from TV makers, so you know its real...
Click here, this is what they look like, the round ones...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
So are you stating your Modem is giving you better speed? Isn't all this set by your IP?

Where I am we have Time Warner, or SPECTRUM now. Its [censored]. On their top tier program I average 20mps and on busy times can be as low as 5mbs. Just depends on the time of day.

Jeff

Jeff,

If your not getting the speed you pay for, it can be 50/50 on whos fault it is.

Its very possible the speed is being delivered to your house but your equipment and possible ragtag way it is set up could also be the issue. Lets not discount electrical interference and wiring in your home either.

Internet providers have nothing to do with what goes on in your house and computers, only can get the speed to the "front door" or modem. Much information on the INTERNET on properly having everything properly set up. A lot of people do miss the "electrical interference" thing though.

Im not sure how common but it is a real issue. SO yes, your provider may not be getting the speed to your front door but in many the cases its the homeowner and why the system is set up. I see some retarded set ups in my line of work.

In my case its the IP. I have a direct line from the cable box at the street straight to my modem. Running my own Motorola Surf Board good for 300mbs. I also am running a Netgear R8000 tri-band router.

So line is good, equip is good.

I was getting around 45-50mbs before construction on new homes down the street. I saw the Spectrum truck near my house was telling him my internet is S H I T now what gives? Basically they are piggy backing off our line to give Internet to the new homes, INSTEAD of running a new line for them. We all know what happens when you piggy back internet lines.

Anyway, I pay $69.99 from Spectrum for their FASTEST internet and on a good day off peak time I will hit 22-25mbps, on average I am hitting 15-20mbps which sucks because that is what I was getting with the Basic plan Spectrum had.

So its not always user error, IP's can sap away internet anytime they want and you get stuck with slower speeds and paying the same amount. Its a scam and its no wonder Time Warner/Spectrum are getting sued for false advertising amongst other things.

Yet in Hong Kong, a buddy of mine in the military was pulling over 100mbps on a place he was renting there. So Hong Kong can muster 100mbps in a busy city apartment complex, but in Southern California I am lucky to get 20mbps??

Something is wrong here. Who owns those satellites up there in space anyway? The Chinese or US? A N Y W A Y......

It is what it is......at least that is what they are telling me...........They being Spectrum.

No other providers in my area they have a monopoly so I cant do anything about it.

Jeff

You cant assume line is good.

I had some crook Jamaican contractor(worked for time warner cable) redid all the lines from the pole to the house.. splitter etc.. and they all got water infiltration because the guy was a dufus.

My line was good for 7 yrs before they began working on the new homes was pulling almost 50mbps, now I'm lucky to get 20. I KNOW ITS BECAUSE OF THAT. or its a [censored] of a coincidence.

Jeff

Last edited:
Checking the SNR and error levels will tell you if it's a bad link to the house, or bottle-necking at the ISP. The former you can get them to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back