Best AutoRX rinse oil for high mileage car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completed the over 100,000 mile double AutoRx several oil changes ago (You should have seen what came out of the engine the SECOND oil change after the 2nd cleaning!!).

Anyway, had a slight vac leak that I fixed, so i thought i'd do another AutoRX treatment just in case. Will be changing to rinse oil this weekend.

What about using Delo or some other fleet oil for the rinse? I could mix 2qts Delo with 2 qts CS 10w-30.

Don't want to use all delo because I know my little 4 banger won't like 15w-40 weight. Saab dealer in Boulder a few years back thought that was an ok oil to use during the summer at high altitude!

Thanks in advance!!!

BTW, car is 1995 Saab 900S, 5 speed, 2.3 liter 4 banger NON-turbo, with 194,600 miles (original owner).

Forgot to say the double treatment was for a rear seal leak, and I'm shocked at how well the AutoRx worked!!! Of course, I haven't gone back to synthetic oil as of yet (my 4 cases of GC 0w-30 are just DYING to roam free!).

I use Havoline, just because it's a good oil in general. A 15w-40 diesel oil will have more cleaners in it for soot control and might not be the best choice really.

Thanks! I just didn't want to use any of my 'good' oil for the rinse!

JohnnyO, wouldn't the 15w-40 have a stronger additive (high detergency) package overall, and not just for soot control? That's my assumption (which may be incorrect), which is why I thought it might be a good choice for rinse phase.

The amount of detergents and dispersants in the host oil dictate how much can be suspended after auto-rx has cleaned it.

However, by the 3rd treatment.....how much could be left?

Many people experience very fine results with the cheapest oil they can find.

Darkdan,
"However, by the 3rd treatment.....how much could be left?"

I experienced a slight problem with my cooling system (thermostat; also clogged radiator), so that's why I decided to just do a PM AutoRx'ing.

I don't expect to se much of anything, but I just wanted to give it a final heavy duty (safe) cleaning. I just thought HDEO might get whatever stuff was left in the engine, if any!
Thanks.

By the way, what happened to your old tagline, if you are, indeed, the Darkdan I remember?

This forum doesn't allow us to have sigs.

But I am Dark, I am Dan...I'm Darkdan. =)

If you have the extra money to blow, go out and get some Rotella T Syn 5w40 (actually a group III oil with no esters so it won't interfere) or Rotella 10w30. Both available at walmart.

At some places you can actually find Delo in straight 30 weight... and personally I at times do use 15w 40 delo or Rotella T in my "little " 150 hp four banger...no complaints here...have got my best UOA from that weight oil ...conventional VS lighter weight Mobile 1

Rinse with any cheap conventional oil that is API rated - you're only running it 2000 miles....I used Exxon or Shell usually, but Supertech will do for a rinse period, even if it runs to 3000 miles. Even auto-parts house brands will be just fine, because they are usually SM rated nowadays.

Darkdan and others:
Thanks. I guess I'll just use some of my $.49/qt Chevron Supreme with some LC. I just HATE to waste that CS, though. I was hoping use some oil that I ordinarily wouldn't use, but I'm sure not going to drop $14 on any rinse oil (Rotella 5-40---that stuff is too good for rinse purposes).

And thanks for the chuckle, Darkdan. For some reason I used to always get a good laugh reading that line! Reminds me of something you'd hear in one of those old pirate swashbuckler movies. What a visual.

LC = lube control?

LC and Auto-RX should not be used together for best results.

I hear LC is a "near ester" and therefore competes with auto-rx.

Chevron Supreme 10-30 on sale. don't use LC until after rinse is finished
if CS won't go 2k miles without LC add, it isn't the oil we think it is.

I agree with the general statement that "the cheapest SM rated Dino" may be appropriate criteria for rinse oil, given the 2000 mile or so OCI. I would be more concerned with the quality of the oil filter used in the rinse cycle.

However I would think that if the environmental conditions were right a 15w40 fleet HDEO woud be a great rinse.

I don't know about your worries regarding a 4 cylinder Saab turbo and 15w40 as long as the temps were okay. I used 15w40 Esso XD-3 Dino HDEO as the rinse on my 4 banger Porsche 944 Turbo. In Canada I could only do this in warm weather but in Cali?

I am currently doing an AutoRX clean cycle in my new to me but 140K mile Mazda on Castrol GTX 5w30. It will get a rinse with WallyWorld 5w30 Dino, followed by a second clean and rinse in springtime nears using 10w30 WallyWorld Tech2000 and Esso XD-3 15w40 respectively.

Hey axjohn. From a fellow 900 owner...That 2.3 na should be fine w/ 15W40 if you want to use it. A number of people are wrongly convinced they NEED 15W50 in the 2.0 turbo and use it religiously. I've never heard of any of them having a problem. The 2.3 is a very stout engine. I tried 15W50 M1 in my 1997 2.0t and all I got was a tad less gas mileage according to the SID.

I have a 2.3 turbo 9-5 now and am in the rinse cycle. I am using Supertech 5W30 that I got for $5 at Walmart. However, If you wanna spend $2 more bucks for an HDEO, why not?

Furthermore, you should get plenty more miles outta that engine w/o worries of sludge.

bkrell:
Thanks. I finally went with some of my 'stash' oil, Chevron Supreme 10w-30. My 2.3 engine just passed over 195,000 miles a couple of weeks ago, and it's still going strong.

Of course, I didn't buy the turbo car, which isn't a problem 95% of the time. but that other 5%---!!!!
pat.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back