Best ATF deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went with Wolf's head Synthetic Universal ATF. Seems to be a Dex VI clone (starts out on the thin side), which should work fine for the intended applications. Was reasonably priced at less than $5 a quart shipped on Amazon. Reviews were few and far between, but the only negatives I found for it, was from people knocking it for claiming to exceed so many standards, which is a valid argument

^^Out of curiosity, what advantage(s) did you find WH Syn Uni ATF provided over readily available MaxLife, also a full synthetic multivehicle ATF? Comparing viscosity, spec sheets show 100 degree viscosity to be very close.

I won't use the high mileage stuff. It's probably all in my head, but I just feel like switching back and forth between lubricants with and without seal conditioners isn't a good approach. I could see if I used high mileage exclusively, but I don't, I switch brands often based on what I can get at the time that offers best performance for the price. None of my vehicles leak (with the exception of my 32 year old pickup whose rear main has leaked since I bought it), so high mileage stuff is off the table for now.

Last edited:
Gents, not to get off topic but a quick question:

I have a 07 Tahoe with 232,000 and the ATF has been changed about every 50k. Going to make a change in the next few weeks and wondered about what you'all would suggest in the latest greatest in replacement fluid.

I have used MaxLife in two '07 Chevys with good results (parents' cars). A simple drain/fill and not full exchange resulted in significant improvements in shift quality. This was at about 100k and I think each was on the factory fill - they had been following the "lifetime fill" [censored] in the owners manual and it took me a while to convinve my dad otherwise. One was an express Van, likely the same drivetrain as your Tahoe. The change in performance on both vehicles with only a partial change was impressive. Your transmission fluid should be in better shape so you may not notice that.

It is hard to argue against MaxLife as the most readily available and cost-effective full synthetic Dex VI substitute. There are a lot of Dex VI (aka "LV" fluid) on the market know and some boutique ones may be better. But MaxLife is easy to get and well-priced in the gallon jugs from the big stores like WalMart or Autozone.

The question then becomes d9es one want an unlicensed substitute or a licensed fluid, and what value does that distinction hold for each individual?

In my case I obtained full synthetic licensed fluid for pennies more than unlicensed substitute fluid. Worth it to me knowing the QA/QC of the licensing process is on top of the manufacturer's QA / QC.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
My vehicles are a '96 Maxima 4 speed AT, an '02 Tribute w/ 4sp AT, and '04 Odyssey with 5 AT. These trainnies don't have user-serviceable filters (not without getting into the case), so I usually do 20k pan drains & refills, so I get about 4 quarts replaced at each drain.

You have been misinformed. Your '04 Odyssey has a serviceable, replaceable in-line canister filter on the outside, as well an internal filter on the inside. However dealers don't have a service schedule for it, the FSM doesn't cover it, but it is listed on the parts breakout. Dealer is like $50 but RockAuto has them for $13.

Part #8 on the diagram.

25450-P7W-003 008 001 FILTER (ATF) 61.53 41.23
S0X4A1700D.gif

I'm curious Oro_o,

You give credit to Valvoline Maxlife ATF for being full synthetic, but attempt to discredit Super Tech Full Synthetic MVLV ATF as not being a "true" synthetic in your opinion, when neither product has any documentation suggesting Group IV base stock. Both appear to be manufactured using Group III base stock. So why does one Group III product get credit for being fully synthetic from you but another doesn't?

Originally Posted By: HangFire
You have been misinformed. Your '04 Odyssey has a serviceable, replaceable in-line canister filter on the outside, as well an internal filter on the inside. However dealers don't have a service schedule for it, the FSM doesn't cover it, but it is listed on the parts breakout. Dealer is like $50 but RockAuto has them for $13.

You mean this guy?
filter.jpg

I replace the in-line filter fairly religiously, but it's not exactly what I consider THE transmission filter. Indeed, replacing the in-line is better than nothing, but it sure would be nice if mfgs made the internal filter serviceable. One cannot get to the internal filter without a whole lot of work and disassembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back