Best ATF deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to buy my ATF by the case on Amazon-- A couple years ago you could get full-synthetic Mag1 for about $4 a quart shipped. That was the Dex-VI low viscosity variety, or their MerconV type which was more universal. I see they no longer offer these by the case, and I'm struggling to find anything reasonably priced < $6 a quart online.

I could go the Walmart / Supertech route I suppose, but looking for a deal. Where are you guys getting cheap ATF?

I am okay with either A Dex VI or Mercon V clone. My vehicles are a '96 Maxima 4 speed AT, an '02 Tribute w/ 4sp AT, and '04 Odyssey with 5 AT. These trainnies don't have user-serviceable filters (not without getting into the case), so I usually do 20k pan drains & refills, so I get about 4 quarts replaced at each drain. I've interchanged the aforementioned fluids with no issues.

I found a good price on ATF+4 on Amazon, but not sure how universal that fluid is.. How unique is it? I know Chrysler specs if because of a proprietary additive, but it must be a good fluid-- would I be taking a huge gamble using it?

Curious to see what you folks are using, thanks in advance for any input.

What I use?

I used OEM for Honda, and never replaced the fluid on the Mustang
shocked.gif

Last edited:
Autozone has the Maxlife ATF for $17.99/gal on sale (AZ's regular price is $19.99)

Kmart has Smitty's synthetic ATF for $4.99/qt.

Amazon still has the Mag1 LV, but it's a little over $5/qt. Not the deal it used to be, but still not bad.

I will snag a jug of Maxlife from Autozone if it's on sale, 17 or 18 bucks, can't remember. Not to make it too cheap, I halve it with Redline. I have yet to see it on sale though.
frown.gif

What are the factory fill in the vehicles (what specs are you trying to meet)?

Generally for a Dex VI or similar LV fluid, it's hard to beat the synthetic MaxLife at WM ~ $4.75/qt in gallon jugs.

A also hear your pain; I used to get good ATF deals via Amazon but not in a long time; I always keep an eye out for good deals on the quality stuff.

This is what I was thinking.
For an LV fluid application, like any Honda or later Ford or GM car, Maxlife is a great choice that can often be found for cheap.
Now, Maxlife is not recommended for higher viscosity applications, like those calling for Mercon V.

The best deal right now is the gallon jug, 4qts, of Valvoline maxlife for $16 shipped.

Add this...
http://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-and-tr...luid/819367_0_0

Then in the cart add SAVE20 for discount to take 20% off. There is free store pickup or shipping right now.

Amazon had some Havoline Syn LV trans fluid cheap but that deal ended about a month or so ago and has not come back.

Walmart.com has the best prices on maxlife atf delivered for free w 2 day shipping @ $17.87 per gallon.

A little thread drift, but what I want to find is an affordable DexIII/T-IV suitable fluid, synthetic, preferably with an HM add pack. So like Maxlife, but higher viscosity.

Pennzoil makes a "Platinum High Mileage" ATF which is exactly that, but from what I can tell is ONLY sold at Pep Boys for $6.50/qt, so that + tax and shipping.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
What are the factory fill in the vehicles (what specs are you trying to meet)?

Nissan specs their 'matic d, j' or something of the sort, owners manual lists plain Jane Dex III as a suitable alternative. Not sure on the tribute, it's a CD4E trans- I surmise it'd take just about anything, but I remember reading on some forums that it was advised to stay away from the low viscosity stuff. I've used LV in it a time or two, and at 180k+, it shows no signs of letting up, so on a trans not known for its longevity, it can't be all that bad for it.

The Honda uses Z1 which was superseded to DW1, which I believe is Honda's low viscosity stuff.

I try to stick with a fluid that is universal AND lists DW-1 as meeting that spec. Reason being that the Honda 5sp AT is a ticking time bomb for failure, and it gives me piece of mind using a compatible fluid.

For simplicity, I use the same fluid for all vehicles as the Mazda and Nissan simply aren't picky, both can be run on regular dex iii according to mfg.

In the 300ZX, Shell 134 apparently is the best I can buy for the automatic. Kind of hard to come by though. I believe I bought my last case of 12 from Ryder. I decided to put an off-the-shelf ATF in the automatic though, so it's currently Castrol Transmax Import in there.

The Matrix gets Valvoline MaxLife because it has the Toyota WS rating and works really well.

The Jeep, still has whatever the previous owner put in it. Shifts fine, so not sure I want to mess with it LOL but it'd use ATF+4, which is a pretty similar spec across all the brands, so SuperTech would probably be my go to ATF for that.

The Infiniti G20 has Castrol Transmax High Mileage. Seemed to help with the cold slip the transmission has, but I think I'll add some Lubegard to the trans to see if that would eliminate the slip. It's nothing tragic, I just like my vehicles to operate optimally
laugh.gif

For anything that will take a DexIII spec, right now a good deal is the Castrol Dex/Merc. It's $15/gallon from both Walmart and Amazon. It's supposed to be from really highly processed mineral stock so I'd take it vs. a synthetic for the price. I have found DexIII's from really good manufacturers to be good. I found the plain-jane Chevron MD3 to be excellent; I used it in a fresh fill after an older GM rebuild and it was smooth as silk. I would trust a DexIII from Chevron, Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Mobil even if it wasn't synthetic or HM. The Castrol is just the deal right now, and I'd take it.

For the Honda, jeez I have no idea. I have avoided them for the transmission issues for a long time. I actually own an Acura, but it has a GM transmission.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
For a MVLV full syn ATF, Super Tech in gallon jugs is $5.50 / qt. if ordering a case of Kendall Versatrans LV ATF is too much at once. It lists both DW-1 & matic J fluid applications in the description.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Mu...-1-gal/52626199

Kendall Versatrans LV does list DW-1 among its applications FWIW.

Yeah that's not full syn (the Supertech). "Conventional synthetic" is not a real full synthetic except in US District courts.
wink.gif

But for real comment, I've had such bad experience with SuperTech Dex/Merc, I'd not trust the brand. Especially when Valvoline is cheaper for the LV fluid you linked.

I have tried Supertech in Dex III applications and it has caused slippage and hard shifts vs. what brand name fluids did. I have not tried SuperTech LV, but I don't want to.

Nope, it's synthetic everywhere but German courts, and really has no bearing on what I as a Chemical Engineer would deem synthesized vs. attorneys. Plenty of positive experience testimonials on BITOG for the Supertech MVLV ATF, which is not the product you list personal experience with. I plan to use some Supertech MVLV ATF next time I do a pan drop on my wife's Mustang along with the leftovers from the case of Kendall Versatrans LV I used recently.

While not licensed by Oro_O, Supertech MVLV ATF is licensed for both Mercon LV by Ford and Dexron VI by GM. I wouldn't (and didn't) trust the counterfeit ST MVLV ATF in silver bottles that bears no license numbers on store shelves in my area, the ST MVLV ATF in blue bottles from WPP with license numbers I ordered BOPUS I have no qualms about.

Last edited:
For a while, Amazon had different Havoline ATF's (Merc V, Dex VI, ATF+4) for around $45/case of 12. Prices have gone back up recently though.
For cheap price, I would have no issue with the Supertech ATF fluids. Biggest problem for me is they seem to only have 3-4 bottles in stock in the store, but last time I needed a bunch, I ordered online and had it shipped to home for free.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
...Now, Maxlife is not recommended for higher viscosity applications, like those calling for Mercon V.

According to the latest (1/12/17) Maxlife ATF spec, it is (unless you live in California, then it is not?).

Walmart again has MaxLife with online order for in store pick up in two biz days for $17.87. AZ now also a good option as noted.

As for ST LVMV, I won't use it for several reasons. Mainly I wouldn't pay more for it than MaxLife. Also WM discontinuing store stock of ML for Castrol and leaving more expensive ST LVMV didn't sit well with me. I do give WM credit though for making ML available again for store up in a relatively quick turnaround.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
As for ST LVMV, I won't use it for several reasons. Mainly I wouldn't pay more for it than MaxLife. Also WM discontinuing store stock of ML for Castrol and leaving more expensive ST LVMV didn't sit well with me. I do give WM credit though for making ML available again for store up in a relatively quick turnaround.

I would & did for a licensed Mercon LV fluid instead of Maxlife ATF for my wife's Mustang with 6R80.

I only paid $0.26 / qt. (6%) more than WM Maxlife for the dual licensed Kendall Versatrans LV.

Different yardsticks of value for different folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back