Best (and worst) vehicles from about 1985-2005?

2nd Gen GS400/430
E46 BMWs are easy to wrench on & parts don't require a kidney to be sold. Too bad most have been run in to the ground, but I do see the ZHP models in good condition still out & about.
Ultimate Platinum Tier Best Vehicle EvAr: Fox body with dumped Flows, 5spd, subframe connectors, 3.73s, & a K&N drop in filter 😎😎😎😎

Best: 96 4Runner SR5, 99 Civic EX and my current 03 Honda Element.
Worst: 02 Pathfinder (lots of sensors failed)

00-01 toyota camry

03-05 toyota corolla

that civic '96-00

three cars that literally last forever, basic means of transportation

We owned two Corolla sedans and a Matrix wagon. Between them we drove 490,000 miles and all three were 100% functional when we sold them. None ever had anything other than wear and maintenance parts except for the Matrix, which had the cat replaced under warranty. It’s hard to argue with that.

The 90's Maximas were great cars, I think. I had a 98... it was surprisingly quick, as it weighed 3000 lbs and had 190 hp with decent torque. Problem-free VQ30DE engine. I think the earlier Maximas were higher quality (bubble era) but they didn't have as good of an engine. Later Maximas added power but also weight and they got ugly, IMO.

Good luck finding any of them in good condition now though...

Ford Ranger 2wd manual transmission and 3.0L Vulcan. My cousin had one he bought for his service station/Cstore. It was the pizza delivery truck/shop truck/customer shuttle/loaner vehicle. It went home with him at night and his teenage kids took it all the time instead of putting gas in their own cars. His son actually took it with him off to college instead of his Honda Civic after they quit delivering pizza. By the time he sold it it had 450k miles and several clutch replacements but original engine.

1994 Mercury Sable. Drove like a dream but turned into a nightmare.

Head gasket
Two transmissions
Lockup converter disabled on last tranny due to shuddering
Loaded rear brake calipers EVERY 30K
Coolant leaks
A/C blown lines
Steering rack replacement
Cracked frame that had to be welded back...sheesh
Think I had to replace every light bulb
Radiator
Suspension parts
Many other things I can't remember

I paid for that car twice :(

:mad:

2nd gen ('96-'01) Ford Explorer V8

For a good daily driver truck based SUV, I think this is actually Ford's finest offering ever. They really made the most of the platform with these. I hope to own a V8 one day, preferably 96-97 AWD. They aren't all that common, especially since the Mustang crowd likes the engine. You're much more likely to find a V6 for sale.

My favorite Explorers are 91-94 personally, but they do not have the refinement of 95-01, and of course no factory 5.0. Still, the 4.0 OHV is a really great engine.

I'm wary of the SOHC 4.0, and I won't deny their potential for problems, but my 97 has been a great daily driver for over a year now, and is by far my most driven vehicle. I did overhaul the cooling system and ball joints, but haven't touched the infamous timing chains or anything like that. It's a really great all around vehicle despite close to 230k miles. I love that truck, though the 94 Eddie Bauer is the crown jewel. 🤣

For a good daily driver truck based SUV, I think this is actually Ford's finest offering ever. They really made the most of the platform with these. I hope to own a V8 one day, preferably 96-97 AWD. They aren't all that common, especially since the Mustang crowd likes the engine. You're much more likely to find a V6 for sale.

My favorite Explorers are 91-94 personally, but they do not have the refinement of 95-01, and of course no factory 5.0. Still, the 4.0 OHV is a really great engine.

I'm wary of the SOHC 4.0, and I won't deny their potential for problems, but my 97 has been a great daily driver for over a year now, and is by far my most driven vehicle. I did overhaul the cooling system and ball joints, but haven't touched the infamous timing chains or anything like that. It's a really great all around vehicle despite close to 230k miles. I love that truck, though the 94 Eddie Bauer is the crown jewel. 🤣
I owned a '96 V8 RWD for a long time... was a great vehicle. Had the GT40 heads, not the later GT40-P. Highly optioned XLT with the spin-off mustang bucket seats, the ones with inflatable bolsters and pull-out knee supports. Comfortable, effortless to drive, plenty capable and not too bad on gas. As far as I know, the guy I gave it to is still driving it.

The 90's Maximas were great cars, I think. I had a 98... it was surprisingly quick, as it weighed 3000 lbs and had 190 hp with decent torque. Problem-free VQ30DE engine. I think the earlier Maximas were higher quality (bubble era) but they didn't have as good of an engine. Later Maximas added power but also weight and they got ugly, IMO.

Good luck finding any of them in good condition now though...
AND you can row your own for Neanderthals like me that enjoy that

One of my nominations for worst

1995-1999 Dodge/Plymouth Neon.

Were a hoot to drive and were quick/sporty compared to most if not all cheap compacts of that era. Unfortunately the head gaskets were a problem for most of the model run (finally fixed for 1998 or 1999 model years), frameless windows were rubbish and were pretty much guaranteed to leak water or wind, weak engine mounts, peeling paint, etc. Lets not forget the old hydraulically controlled 3 speed TorqueFlite, yes it was reliable but it killed fuel economy and pretty much everyone else had moved on to electronically controlled 4 speeds - I think Chrysler and GM were the only holdouts with 3 speed autos in the Neon and Cavalier but at least the Cavalier you could get a 4 speed. Lets just say that generation Neon were all throwaway cars at 100-150k miles IF that.

One of my nominations for worst

1995-1999 Dodge/Plymouth Neon.

Were a hoot to drive and were quick/sporty compared to most if not all cheap compacts of that era. Unfortunately the head gaskets were a problem for most of the model run (finally fixed for 1998 or 1999 model years), frameless windows were rubbish and were pretty much guaranteed to leak water or wind, weak engine mounts, peeling paint, etc. Lets not forget the old hydraulically controlled 3 speed TorqueFlite, yes it was reliable but it killed fuel economy and pretty much everyone else had moved on to electronically controlled 4 speeds - I think Chrysler and GM were the only holdouts with 3 speed autos in the Neon and Cavalier but at least the Cavalier you could get a 4 speed. Lets just say that generation Neon were all throwaway cars at 100-150k miles IF that.
I loved my 98 R/T. Cheap yes but it was so fun. It did have the head gasket replaced at no charge. You could get a manual in any year Neon.

I drank the VW Koolaid at their absolute worst. A 2002 Passat that absolutely self-destructed at 70,000 miles. Never a VW product again.
Similar. Had a VW of that generation. After a few maintenance bills (some under warranty), I jumped ship. My friend with the same era VW financially crippled him. It was always having expensive problems and I think it just ended up rotting, broken, in his driveway.

Back